Umpire & Laws Of The Game

1. When out of his ground(a) A batsman shall be considered to be out of his ground unless his bat or some part of his person is grounded behind the popping crease at that end.

(b) Notwithstanding (a) above, if a running batsman, having grounded some part of his foot behind the popping crease, continues running further towards the wicket at that end and beyond, then any subsequent total loss of contact with the ground of both his person and his bat during his continuing forward momentum shall not be interpreted as being out of his ground.
Cheers SLA, good to see you back on here.

Yeah once a foot is in you are right.

I actually wish they would change the rule so that you are in as soon as the bat passes, hate it when batsmen are given out when the bat bounces back up if the are sliding in.

Hasn't some geezer in the current ICC T20 series just been given out exactly like this in the last week? He got over the line and then with his next step he was in the air - both feet and bat as the bails were knocked off and was given out?
Yeah a Zimbabwean, that was pure laziness. David Warner a few years at Stadium Australia in a T20 a also did it but nobody actually noticed it and appealed, he was running through quickly though and happened to have his bat and both feet momentarily just airborne precisely as the ball struck the stumps.

Hasn't some geezer in the current ICC T20 series just been given out exactly like this in the last week? He got over the line and then with his next step he was in the air - both feet and bat as the bails were knocked off and was given out?

I think you will find that the Zimbabwe player in question had not actually grounded anything behind the popping crease.

From October this year, a batsman who has grounded his bat behind the crease before the bails are broken, cannot be given out even if the bat is later raised (as long as the batsman is not attempting another run). This seems to be as a result of New Zealand asking for the rule change after their batsman Neil Wagner was given out in a very unusual circumstance earlier this year.

I once played a game where one of our bowlers was denied a hat trick because the fieldsman at square leg moved behind square as the bowler ran in. The batsman nicked an inswinger down leg side and was caught at leg slip. His and our celebrations were cut short as the umpire signaled a no ball because we had 3 fieldsmen behind square. He was given a severe dressing down by the umpire and an even more embarrassing lecture by the bowler in the club rooms after the game.

Last edited:
He was given a severe dressing down by the umpire and an even more embarrassing lecture by the bowler in the club rooms after the game.

Both the umpire and the bowler should be strongly reprimanded, possibly suspended. Giving people "dressing downs" and "embarrassing lectures" is not acceptable.

It all happened a long time ago when those sort of things weren't even on the agenda. The dressing down from the umpire was along the line of "what you were trying to do was not in the spirit of the game and is tantamount to cheating" and if he was seen to do it again he would be reported for unsportsman like behaviour.
I didn't hear what the bowler said to him about missing out on a hat trick (he never did get one) but I believe his ears were burnt, but it didn't happen on the ground in front of the other team. The term politically correct didn't exist back then.
Wouldn't happen today perhaps, but times have changed and many of the antics that players get up to nowadays just didn't happen back then.

Back