Under Pressure Batting?

Simbazz

Under Pressure Batting?

Right, this is a thread which has many possibilities, feel free to ask questions and give scenarios and ill do my best to help out.

Ill start off with the old, "I'm batting and we have 5 overs to go," If you have an up tight coach like mine, who goes out onto the pitch checks it out more than the captain and comes back to give us a good going over, like he doesn't trust us. :p My coach comes back to us and gives us a score if we're batting first.

So, the purpose of this thread, its 195 off 45overs, you need 220, what do you do?

Well aggressive, controlled batting is the answer but ill break it down.

Firstly, your stance, legs a little closer together, gives you a firmer base in which you can hit the ball harder, not ideal for movement but the fitness of the bowlers will be low and they wont be giving 100% anymore so you'll probably get away with it.

Secondly, Your grip of the bat, if your technically sound, IE, have a good grip, hands together etc. then this is for you. Hold them a little apart, it gives you a bit more of an angle to work with, it isn't the most effective, and wont be the most attractive but you'll hit areas which you couldn't easily manoeuvre the ball into different areas.

Thirdly, bat outside your crease, the earlier you hit the ball after bounce the quicker it'll be travelling therefore you'll be hitting boundaries easier because of increased pace.

Obviously this is aimed at the batsmen, ill give a bowlers guide to batting tomorrow, feel free as i said to give me situations and ill try my best to give a good definitive way how to get out of trouble, or bat your way to 20. ;)

Re: Under Pressure Batting?

When trying to chase down tight totals, if the field is in, always try and hit it over the top otherwise you will get bogged down.

If you have wickets in hand just GO FOR IT.

Pressure is a mental thing, which is the biggest thing, if you can go into a "zone," where you just do wat you can, not worry about the RR or whatever, then you'll be more likely to chase down big totals.

You get yourself in the right framemind before going out to bat, whilst out in the middle, you shouldnt worry yourself, just play your natural game, if its in your head your more likely to balls it up.

Being a lower order to tailend batsman, I have had mixed success slogging in the latter overs to get up to a respectable total. My plan tends to be to play a different game taking the bowler into account, so I tend to leave the first ball (obviously providing I have more than 2 overs left and it is not a straight ball) to get an idea of what the bowler is doing.

If he is a non spinning spinner, I tend to like to get across the line of the ball and hit over backward square leg by taking an ugly step with my front foot across my stumps. It works for me but I would not advise using it if you have tried it and it has failed for you - good to try though. I like to hit full ones just outside off stump over the bowlers head as I am good at punishing half volleys down the ground.

If he is a spinner who spins the ball, I like to advance down the pitch and push it into the gaps since these bowlers tend to flight it.

If he is a slow medium pacer, I like to bat outside my crease and drive almost anything. The length depends whether it goes in the air but it usually works. I like to clear the front foot and play over the bowlers head if it is length outside off since I find this pace to slow to cut.

If he is a fast bowler, I tend to back away and look to cut over point but am not adversed to the straight drive to a half volley or leg flick to a hip high leg stump delivery.

As lower order batsmen, to add onto Manee's suggestions,

Take your scores in 10's with a partner! Breaks it up and doesnt make targets look so massive!

i HATE under pressure batting.
espescially if im in it.
and/or if it's 9 out.
i had to once and i think we needed 35 off like 7 overs.
i was the bowler so i just had to not go out.
decent 7 :)
good stuff our batter made like 25 and won it for us.
but.....i was Soooo nervous.
dont recommend it.

Back