Using non-bowling arm to increase pace.

phil2oo8

Using non-bowling arm to increase pace.

i've been trying put a higher jump in my action and it just isn't workin so im wondering if anyone know how i can use my non-bowling arm to bowl faster. Some people say get it as high as possible while overs say it how well ur lock and load is ( no idea) and my grandad sez its ow ard u can pull your non-bowling arm down making more of my full shoulder rotation
thanks phil

Re: Using non-bowling arm to increase pace.

i think the faster you pull down on your other arm the more pace you get

All three contribute in some way, I believe.
  • Pulling the non-bowling arm through faster results in better shoulder rotation and increased pace and accuracy.
  • Having a good 'lock and load', or gather position, can result in better coordination and increased pace
  • Lifting the non-bowling arm high in the action doesn't directly affect pace but can help keep the action tall (as in not falling away) and can act as a mental trigger for pulling the arm through. Conversely, throwing it up too high can throw you off balance and have a negative effect on your bowling.

In terms of recommendations, I would recommend that you pull the non-bowling arm through pretty hard, aiming it straight up the wicket (where you want to bowl). The gather is more personal but a lower load position with the bowling arm is said to be better and a higher (but not too high) position with the non-bowling arm is also said to be better. A good bowler to watch for an example of the gather position is Brett Lee.

At the end of the day it's down to what feels right for you, so try a few variations and see how it goes.

yeah i use brett lees action i find it better for pace but harder to find line and length :confused:

Years ago an overseas we had was very big into his bio-mechanics and high level coaching. He said that the key thing we the non-bowling arm was to make sure that you bring the elbow into the hip (or thereabouts) in order to help generate pace and bring the bowling arm through straight.

May be worth bearing in mind.

i do have a similiar lock and load to lee ...perhaps myy bowling arm starts higher than his. im gunna give the push into the hip ago

As an example of what I mean:

83032.jpg

Look where the non-bowling elbow has ended up.

• Jelly Beanz said:
    All three contribute in some way, I believe.
    • Pulling the non-bowling arm through faster results in better shoulder rotation and increased pace and accuracy.

i find that when i bring my non bowling arm through faster i gain speed... but i lose my accuracy... usually far to wide outside off to come close to bothering the batsmen.

AUSSIE_BOY said:
i find that when i bring my non bowling arm through faster i gain speed... but i lose my accuracy... usually far to wide outside off to come close to bothering the batsmen.

That's why you need to try to bring it into the hip - it helps to bring the bowling arm through straight.

Bringing it into the hip is all well and good if it gets you bringing it through straight but I find that when I do that it stays at the hip and doesn't continue with the shoulder rotation. This means I don't fully rotate the shoulders as I should and my accuracy decreases. I guess it's personal but I find it easier just to 'aim' the pull at off stump.

using da none bowling arm has helped me but that is me, not u. if u don't find that using it helps then don't worry but i find that it helps, but it took me a while to get used to it.

mas cambias, used that tip of bringing your arm into your hip when you bowl. Worked a treat at nets last night i was bowling spot on away swingers on and just outside off consistently. About half an hour in though i lost my way a bit - got a bit tired and started falling away in my action so bowled a few leg side wides, at that point i just slowed it down and focused on staying tall and getting the elbow into the hip again and got back the accuracy :D
Different story with the batting though i was shocking.

mgr989 - the falling away is a classic sign of tiredness. I do exactly the same when I get tired.

You need to do some specific fitness work to help with that - I'll post up some links a little later.

cool cheers yeah i defo need to work on some cardio fitness aswell as improving my core a bit :embarrassed:

Back