Using The Mind To Bowl Better

Kev, who can say what goes through anyone's mind? As a coach I really do wonder sometimes with some of my players :) Everyone is different, some will be playing tunes, some will be shouting (inside) al la Andy Murray, some will be 100% focused from the top of their run up on the exact spot they want to land it on, all you need to do is find what works for you. As a start try repeating a word that means something to you as you go through your run up and delivery - for one of my bowlers his word is smooth as he knows that when he feels 'smooth' in his run up everything else flows, for another its 'drive' so again everyone has their own triggers

When practicing try setting targets, the smaller and more measurable the better. So if, for example, you are concerned about your length, set your target for your next session as 3 consecutive balls of good or full length (better still if you can 'chalk' or mark the area on the pitch to ensure you are not cheating yourself) and see how many times you reach it in a given number of balls. The idea is that human nature being what it is (particularly in teenage lads) that merely setting a target will help focus the mind and should produce better results, even if this isnt the case, can you spot any differences in your action or release that result in a shorter pitched delivery?

Best of luck

Great post as usual TonyM. Wise words indeed.

I have the interesting dilemma of being confident in one form of bowling(fast) and nervous and easily disheartened in the other form (leg spin). When I look at the reasons I am confident in the first type I see exactly what Macca has said. I know I can put it where I want to most of the time and from years of experience I have the confidence that I can bowl well most of the time.
With leg spin I have no real experience to fall back on and my accuracy is nowhere near as good. I practice all the time though and I can see a lot of improvement. The biggest challenge for me though is the mental side. Coming back after being hit for 3 consecutive 6's in the nets and not tightening up because that just makes it worse. I know I can bowl really well when I'm on its just getting over that mental hurdle, slowing things down, concentrating on what you are trying to do and not a million other things or hoping like hell the next one doesnt go flying back over your head.
I like the challenge of bowling spin as Im really out of my comfort zone. Sometimes you feel it would be easier to return to pace but it is the safe and boring option. It is real character building bowling spin.

OK Ben, please take this as what it is - some independent thoughts to read and then take or leave as you see fit.

In an ideal world you would be coming into every game in the way Macca's lad (thanks for the compliment btw) does but although he may be younger in years, in terms of leg spin he is much, much older. One thing that always strikes me from reading about both of you is how much you both practice on your own without a batsman. Macca's lad uses this practice to gain confidence that he starts in control of the situation and it is up to the batsman to 'figure him out' not the other way around and, even if the batter does get the upper hand, he seems to retain the self belief that it is only temporary and a miscue/false shot is just a ball away, would it be fair to say that this is how you approach your quick bowling, where you can revel in 'the dual'?

I think you would benefit (if you can) to try and bowl as if the batsman wasnt there, I know its easy to say and difficult to do but there is some logic behind it, for now 'control the controllables'. So next game/practice dont even think about the batter, measure everything against what you want to do with each ball, so the only 'outcomes' are was it the line/length/turn you wanted - try and ignore what shot/outcome the batsman has responded with as, for 'a beginner', thats one more thing to worry about and pretty much out of your control for now. This extendeds to the end of your spell, look at % balls that were 'good' (ie did what you wanted) and dont even ask the scorer about runs conceded, wickets taken or chances dropped. At its extreme you wont know if you have gone for 36 or taken a fifer in any given over as all that matters is what YOU do with the ball. Over time you will get back to the balance of looking 'internally' and 'externally' and building plans for batsmen that you have when bowling quicker, but one step at a time

Sorry this is so long and unclear.
I just realised I was beating myself up too much, and scared to not bowl well. So then I tried allowing myself the right to fail, and it has changed my attitude completely! So now I am always feeling good in training, but I'll have to see if it works in the game. The funny thing is, now I'm feeling not confident about what I just said. So it's really hard to change your whole mindset, but once you do, it is easy. Maybe I just need to stop worrying or just play for fun. I really think what you said, tony, about letting the batsman figure you out will work.

Also, the bad thing about trying to improve your attitude is that you have to do most of the thinking, and it is up to you to analyze yourself

In my opinion, allowing myself the right to fail works because you don't have much to worry about, so you can focus better. Another weird thing is that when you are absolutely focused, it doesn't seem hard to absolutely focus, but when you aren't focused, there are negative thoughts going on in your head, like 'will I perform well?' 'I have a bad feeling about this' etc. So the hard thing about trying to improve your attitude is that no method is going to work if you doubt it, or worry about it.

Well, now that I think about it, I have probably just been thinking to hard, I should just play for fun.

Also, I think I should be patient, trust in the process of improving, and allow myself the right to improve, as it will help more things than the results. Any thoughts?

Tony, when I thought to control the controllables I realised that I don't have full control of my mind, and that the only controllables are my attitude, only to a degree. So the only things I can really control are feeling good and that sort of stuff. Maybe that's just me, but I can't completely control my bowling, because I don't fully understand my action. But that's overthinking it, and it will only make me worry. Damn, now I'm feeling nervous again. But that's because I care too much about the result, and I forgot to allow myself the right to fail. See how my mind works?

Coming back after being hit for 3 consecutive 6's in the nets .

You must have MASSIVE nets if there is room to tell that the ball went for six rather than being caught by the chap on the boundary. You might have just taken a hattrick!

OK Ben, please take this as what it is - some independent thoughts to read and then take or leave as you see fit.

In an ideal world you would be coming into every game in the way Macca's lad (thanks for the compliment btw) does but although he may be younger in years, in terms of leg spin he is much, much older. One thing that always strikes me from reading about both of you is how much you both practice on your own without a batsman. Macca's lad uses this practice to gain confidence that he starts in control of the situation and it is up to the batsman to 'figure him out' not the other way around and, even if the batter does get the upper hand, he seems to retain the self belief that it is only temporary and a miscue/false shot is just a ball away, would it be fair to say that this is how you approach your quick bowling, where you can revel in 'the dual'?

I think you would benefit (if you can) to try and bowl as if the batsman wasnt there, I know its easy to say and difficult to do but there is some logic behind it, for now 'control the controllables'. So next game/practice dont even think about the batter, measure everything against what you want to do with each ball, so the only 'outcomes' are was it the line/length/turn you wanted - try and ignore what shot/outcome the batsman has responded with as, for 'a beginner', thats one more thing to worry about and pretty much out of your control for now. This extendeds to the end of your spell, look at % balls that were 'good' (ie did what you wanted) and dont even ask the scorer about runs conceded, wickets taken or chances dropped. At its extreme you wont know if you have gone for 36 or taken a fifer in any given over as all that matters is what YOU do with the ball. Over time you will get back to the balance of looking 'internally' and 'externally' and building plans for batsmen that you have when bowling quicker, but one step at a time

Hey Tony, thanks for taking the time to help out with your advice.
I would say that the purpose of doing a lot of training on my own is to work on technique without the distraction of a batsman and also to try and get to the point of feeling confident in being able to land it most of the time.
The down side of this is I have little experience actually bowling to batsman and you are right, I tend to worry more about the batsman. Without getting on the psychiatrists sofa and analysing it too much part of my problem is Im not used to being hit and its really taking some getting used to, even though I know as a spin bowler I should be happy when they try and go after me.
I will definately try your method though and control the controllables. I know if I bowl well its very hard to play and I'll get wickets. Its training the mind to focus I guess. What makes it harder are the technical issues going around in your head where you haven't quite worked out little things in your action. This can sap your confidence at times. That is where I hope my solo bowling works through these issues. There is nothing for it but practice really and to hone a consistent action.
I would say my bowling plans for a batsman don't really exist at the moment, other than bowling with a lot of spin and on a good length. I theorise about what to do and where to put fielders but in all honesty Im not up to a standard yet where I could put a plan into place.
We play tomorrow and hopefully I get a bowl so I'll let you know how the plan to forget the batsman goes.
Thanks mate.

Sorry this is so long and unclear.
I just realised I was beating myself up too much, and scared to not bowl well. So then I tried allowing myself the right to fail, and it has changed my attitude completely! So now I am always feeling good in training, but I'll have to see if it works in the game. The funny thing is, now I'm feeling not confident about what I just said. So it's really hard to change your whole mindset, but once you do, it is easy. Maybe I just need to stop worrying or just play for fun. I really think what you said, tony, about letting the batsman figure you out will work.

Also, the bad thing about trying to improve your attitude is that you have to do most of the thinking, and it is up to you to analyze yourself

In my opinion, allowing myself the right to fail works because you don't have much to worry about, so you can focus better. Another weird thing is that when you are absolutely focused, it doesn't seem hard to absolutely focus, but when you aren't focused, there are negative thoughts going on in your head, like 'will I perform well?' 'I have a bad feeling about this' etc. So the hard thing about trying to improve your attitude is that no method is going to work if you doubt it, or worry about it.

Well, now that I think about it, I have probably just been thinking to hard, I should just play for fun.

Also, I think I should be patient, trust in the process of improving, and allow myself the right to improve, as it will help more things than the results. Any thoughts?

Tony, when I thought to control the controllables I realised that I don't have full control of my mind, and that the only controllables are my attitude, only to a degree. So the only things I can really control are feeling good and that sort of stuff. Maybe that's just me, but I can't completely control my bowling, because I don't fully understand my action. But that's overthinking it, and it will only make me worry. Damn, now I'm feeling nervous again. But that's because I care too much about the result, and I forgot to allow myself the right to fail. See how my mind works?

You have said some good stuff in there. Allowing yourself to fail is something I hadnt really thought about. I have trained and invested a lot of time in leg spin so I really want to succeed and maybe I have put too much pressure on myself. Perhaps you do have to step back and "not care" quite so much.
One time when I bowled in a match and bowled rubbish really but took a wicket off the last ball of the over. Well the pressure lifted completely and then I bowled really well and got another wicket. It would be great to have that feeling of no pressure all the time but its not going to happen so I suppose you have to learn to cope with the nerves and pressure and overcome them. Thats part of the challenge really.
Being patient in your improvement is something you have to accept too. When I look back I have really improved a lot in the last year or so. I get way more turn, I understand my action a lot more and what works and what doesnt, My accuracy has improved and I can bowl a wrong un which when I began to bowl I thought was nigh on impossible. So you have to take time to reflect on how far you have come and think that another year down the track what the improvement might be.

That's an interesting answer and is basically what I do. In practice I tend to bowl pretty full and have always found that when I then factor in the batsman and bowl that much shorter than I do in practice, it starts to fall to pieces. So, in games this year where I was still messing around with my action, I dumped all of the over - complication of things and tried to keep it simple - e.g. do as I do in practice and see how it worked out, and for the most part, despite the fact that I wasn't happy with my bowling action it worked out okay.

You have said some good stuff in there. Allowing yourself to fail is something I hadnt really thought about. I have trained and invested a lot of time in leg spin so I really want to succeed and maybe I have put too much pressure on myself. Perhaps you do have to step back and "not care" quite so much.
One time when I bowled in a match and bowled rubbish really but took a wicket off the last ball of the over. Well the pressure lifted completely and then I bowled really well and got another wicket. It would be great to have that feeling of no pressure all the time but its not going to happen so I suppose you have to learn to cope with the nerves and pressure and overcome them. Thats part of the challenge really.
Being patient in your improvement is something you have to accept too. When I look back I have really improved a lot in the last year or so. I get way more turn, I understand my action a lot more and what works and what doesnt, My accuracy has improved and I can bowl a wrong un which when I began to bowl I thought was nigh on impossible. So you have to take time to reflect on how far you have come and think that another year down the track what the improvement might be.

This is another interesting aspect. When I started out, I started with Grays and Chadwells Sunday friendlies side and I was captained by a spinner called Neil Samwell. The club and Neil always seemed to have a really positive attitude towards bringing on spinners and giving them key parts to play in games, they were never peripheral players and on occassions I bowled 2nd up with a seam bowler looking to upset openers. But the important thing was that when I first started I was smashed to the boundaries again and again and got a game the next week. I used to feel really crap about it as it was obvious that I was integral to losing the game on a regular basis and as a result I used to get the Yips if I bowled badly in the first over and would then find it difficult to get my head back in order and balance my psychology and start thinking I could bowl better. Despite this they'd let me bowl 5 or 6 overs. Not being up to speed with the place that friendly cricket plays in a clubs set up it took me a season or two to realise that actually it wasn't the end of the world if we lost and that in fact it was all about giving people a chance. No-one had ever said that though and it was a while before it dawned on me that this was the case, but as soon as I understood that, my bowling improved massively because it took the pressure away and I was then able to bowl more freely. I've been lucky this year in that my new team has put me in 3rd and 4th XI games and again it's obvious that this is a developmental set up for youths and where the old duffers and not so goods get a chance to compete, so in a way they pressure isn't massive and therefore I'm able to bowl with a sense of it not being catastrophic if it goes a bit pear-shaped. Oh yeah - they soon take you off if you are bowling poorly! I think the thing with Wrist spinning is that you have to have some space to learn - adults as well as kids (See the stuff Warne says at the end of this) need to be able to get things wrong before they start to get it right. As you've said, you've come a long way and your improvements are on-going, but this is a complex speciality. I think you've got the right attitude because you are looking long term, you are thinking in terms of years and season with regards your development. You do all the right things as far as I can make out - reflection for instance, you've seeked out coaches and you're always pulling apart what you do and looking at it, so in the end I reckon you'll get there.

This is another interesting aspect. When I started out, I started with Grays and Chadwells Sunday friendlies side and I was captained by a spinner called Neil Samwell. The club and Neil always seemed to have a really positive attitude towards bringing on spinners and giving them key parts to play in games, they were never peripheral players and on occassions I bowled 2nd up with a seam bowler looking to upset openers. But the important thing was that when I first started I was smashed to the boundaries again and again and got a game the next week. I used to feel really crap about it as it was obvious that I was integral to losing the game on a regular basis and as a result I used to get the Yips if I bowled badly in the first over and would then find it difficult to get my head back in order and balance my psychology and start thinking I could bowl better. Despite this they'd let me bowl 5 or 6 overs. Not being up to speed with the place that friendly cricket plays in a clubs set up it took me a season or two to realise that actually it wasn't the end of the world if we lost and that in fact it was all about giving people a chance. No-one had ever said that though and it was a while before it dawned on me that this was the case, but as soon as I understood that, my bowling improved massively because it took the pressure away and I was then able to bowl more freely. I've been lucky this year in that my new team has put me in 3rd and 4th XI games and again it's obvious that this is a developmental set up for youths and where the old duffers and not so goods get a chance to compete, so in a way they pressure isn't massive and therefore I'm able to bowl with a sense of it not being catastrophic if it goes a bit pear-shaped. Oh yeah - they soon take you off if you are bowling poorly! I think the thing with Wrist spinning is that you have to have some space to learn - adults as well as kids (See the stuff Warne says at the end of this) need to be able to get things wrong before they start to get it right. As you've said, you've come a long way and your improvements are on-going, but this is a complex speciality. I think you've got the right attitude because you are looking long term, you are thinking in terms of years and season with regards your development. You do all the right things as far as I can make out - reflection for instance, you've seeked out coaches and you're always pulling apart what you do and looking at it, so in the end I reckon you'll get there.

Thanks Dave. I think the biggest fear is getting belted all over and having your team mates look at you like your hopeless and costing them the match. I played Sunday cricket for Hawes CC in England that was like the matches you were talking about. At the time I wasn't so into them because they werent very competitve but now they would be perfect to get some match experience without the pressure.
We cant all bowl the perfect delivery every ball so I guess you cant expect to "think" perfectly all the time. Its something you have to practice and try and improve on.

Thanks Dave. I think the biggest fear is getting belted all over and having your team mates look at you like your hopeless and costing them the match. I played Sunday cricket for Hawes CC in England that was like the matches you were talking about. At the time I wasn't so into them because they werent very competitve but now they would be perfect to get some match experience without the pressure.
We cant all bowl the perfect delivery every ball so I guess you cant expect to "think" perfectly all the time. Its something you have to practice and try and improve on.

I think you said that you were the captain or vice captain as well for your team? That must put extra pressure on you as there'd be some expectation that you'd lead from the front. Whatever the situation is, I think you've just got to strip things down to the basics and do what you do best with your Leg Break and follow Tony's advice, don't even think about the batsman or what he does - bowl on Middle and off, forcing the batsman to play all of which is easy to say sitting here at my desk!

Hey, I think that trying to understand your action is going to help, because it's from not understanding that I am getting a bit nervous. Just wondering, how do you approach the first ball of the game, and if it's different to how you bowl in the nets, how do you go about fixing it, for example, not getting turn. By the way, after you release the ball, can you tell if it's going to turn? I kind of can. Something I tried that works a bit is feeling connected to the delivery I'm going to bowl, like it's part of me. It sure sounds weird, but it's like playing a mental video in your head.

Also, this week I'm going to get my coach to record my action in slo-mo, any thoughts on if it will help?

I need to try to understand my action more, because once I have the idea that I don't understand in my head, it's not going to get out. Also, I think I'm going to be better off trying to understand anything, rather than trust in something I don't understand.

Here's a very interesting site which I suggest you all look at, It asks how practice makes perfect.
http://www.science20.com/sports_are_80_percent_mental/does_practice_make_perfect_sports

Hey, I think that trying to understand your action is going to help, because it's from not understanding that I am getting a bit nervous. Just wondering, how do you approach the first ball of the game, and if it's different to how you bowl in the nets, how do you go about fixing it, for example, not getting turn. By the way, after you release the ball, can you tell if it's going to turn? I kind of can. Something I tried that works a bit is feeling connected to the delivery I'm going to bowl, like it's part of me. It sure sounds weird, but it's like playing a mental video in your head.

Also, this week I'm going to get my coach to record my action in slo-mo, any thoughts on if it will help?

I need to try to understand my action more, because once I have the idea that I don't understand in my head, it's not going to get out. Also, I think I'm going to be better off trying to understand anything, rather than trust in something I don't understand.

Here's a very interesting site which I suggest you all look at, It asks how practice makes perfect.
http://www.science20.com/sports_are_80_percent_mental/does_practice_make_perfect_sports
Running the action through in your head is a well known and advised approach 'Visualising', you don't have to even be there, when I was younger I used to use the technique with my surfing to great affect and still use it in my bowling and it helps. I think any if not all coaches would say that it is a beneficial approach to training. With regards knowing whether it's going to come out right, I think we can all vouch for that being a reality that we've all experienced, as the ball comes off the fingers you can feel that it's all come together and I personally say to myself - 'That's gonna spin alright'. If you record your action in slow mo - do so from in front, from behind and from the side and load them all up on youtube or silicon coach and people will give you feedback.

The Yips, I've seen blokes (Leggies) go to pieces with the Yips and the situation just gets compounded as they get more and more wound up, I used to do it myself when I started out - I was worried about the fact that everyone was watching me and it never helped that they were all shouting 'Line and length Dave - keep it basic' when of course that was exactly what I was trying to do. I think it helps if you do your learning in Friendly games where losing isn't quite as serious, because you can approach the whole thing with a different mind-set, but in League matches, the emphasis is on performing fairly well especially if you're brought on early or at a pivotal stage of the game and how you perform is perceieved as having an impact on the game. I'd normally say, you have to go in there thinking something along the lines of 'No-ones going to die, this isn't life and death', but with league cricket some people do take it exceptionally seriously, so that may not be appropriate? It's a tricky one.

I found that when playing seniors and in the Under 15 Australian team that i get a lot more nervous compared to juniors and therefore my bowling is never at it's best

Something I have just realised in the middle of a game is that my runup wasn't preparing myself to bowl the ball I wanted to bowl. I realised that my runup had to be part of my delivery, and that I had to think about it, to focus on all that I wanted to do. So while I wanted to bowl a full ball, if my runup was rushed and tense I would drop it short.

Something I have just realised in the middle of a game is that my runup wasn't preparing myself to bowl the ball I wanted to bowl. I realised that my runup had to be part of my delivery, and that I had to think about it, to focus on all that I wanted to do. So while I wanted to bowl a full ball, if my runup was rushed and tense I would drop it short.

What you're saying that at different stages of the game your run up changes in response to what's happening and what you're trying to bowl? I think all of the protaganists advocate a smooth no nonsense run up that remains the same throughout. Run-up is one my issues and I'm still trying to get it standardised, I still have to think about it sometimes and I need to get past that.

What you're saying that at different stages of the game your run up changes in response to what's happening and what you're trying to bowl? I think all of the protaganists advocate a smooth no nonsense run up that remains the same throughout. Run-up is one my issues and I'm still trying to get it standardised, I still have to think about it sometimes and I need to get past that.
I just didn't realise that I needed my runup to help me bowl how I wanted. So I just forgot that my runup would affect my delivery a lot, because it was part of it. So now once I've realised this, I will be working on my runup, not just my delivery.

Back