Video of me left arm orthodox

leftnright

Video of me left arm orthodox

Here is a video of me bowling Left arm orthodox in a match - i ended up at 4-30-3 (4 overs 30 runs 3 wickets)..

My bowling starts from 3:49 on the video. you will see all the six balls in my over - 2nd ball a catch missed by keeper, 3rd ball a six, 5th ball catch at long on

This is the first time i am seeing my self bowling - I would like some comments on the flight (loop) i am giving, my action and also do you think I am bowling too slow??

YouTube - ptcc vs spcc

Would love your comments

Re: Video of me left arm orthodox

To me, it doesn't look like you're imparting enough spin on the ball. It seems as though you're just letting it roll out of your hand, as opposed to really using your fingers to spin the ball. You give the ball some nice flight, but as you said yourself you seem to bowl most of them quite slow. Do you vary your speeds at all?

Thanks Tumo

When I try to put more spin with the fingers - the ball turns well but falls short - I really wish I could correct that soon. I think it has to do with my pivot - does it look smooth?
My bowling arm does not seem to come across my body after the release of the ball - I am noticing it now.

I do vary my pace but prefer to give it lot of air. That day the opposing batsmen seemed to at sea with a well flighted ball.. so I decided to flight it up high to make them wait and make mistakes.

Spin up.

Huh?

yeah.... spin up. shane warne says it a lot... so do it..

Of course, what does that even mean? I like to think of it as shooting a basketball. Ray Allen for THREE! BANG! All basketball players shoot up with their wrists then on the follow through with their fingers pointing down. The point you ask? Spin up like your spinning finger is shooting a finger-wide basketball.. like in an arc. The finger spins up and then eventually with the rotational velocity.. your finger ends up pointing down.

One more tip, which I really should sell for money. Your thumb is your friend. If you spin up, make sure your thumb moves upwards too. You'll be surprised by how much more spin, drift, dip, and beautiful stuff you get.

leftnright;400108 said:
Thanks Tumo

When I try to put more spin with the fingers - the ball turns well but falls short - I really wish I could correct that soon. I think it has to do with my pivot - does it look smooth?
My bowling arm does not seem to come across my body after the release of the ball - I am noticing it now.

I do vary my pace but prefer to give it lot of air. That day the opposing batsmen seemed to at sea with a well flighted ball.. so I decided to flight it up high to make them wait and make mistakes.

Yeah - you're pivot and action through the delivery needs a lot more ooomph.

someblokecalleddave;400416 said:
Yeah - you're pivot and action through the delivery needs a lot more ooomph.

Thanks dave.. i started putting more power into my pivot and I see the ball getting a good shape.. but do you think my pivot (not considering the oomph) is OK?

Dave (someblokecalleddave)

I saw your post on youtube asking what surface we are playing on.
It is a concrete pitch with mat on top.. thats how most of the cricket pitches are here in america.

doctortran;400402 said:
Spin up.

Huh?

yeah.... spin up. shane warne says it a lot... so do it..

Of course, what does that even mean? I like to think of it as shooting a basketball. Ray Allen for THREE! BANG! All basketball players shoot up with their wrists then on the follow through with their fingers pointing down. The point you ask? Spin up like your spinning finger is shooting a finger-wide basketball.. like in an arc. The finger spins up and then eventually with the rotational velocity.. your finger ends up pointing down.

One more tip, which I really should sell for money. Your thumb is your friend. If you spin up, make sure your thumb moves upwards too. You'll be surprised by how much more spin, drift, dip, and beautiful stuff you get.

Drtan,
I am trying that.. like dave said i put more oomph into the pivot and follow thru.. could see my finger pointing down post release (spin up) the thumb going up - when does the happen about-release or post release?
Last week bowled to a left hander based on this - beautiful loop and drift not as slow as before.. landed right out side his offstump on good lenght and spun across on top of his middle stump - so heartening to see that

leftnright;400553 said:

It is a concrete pitch with mat on top.. thats how most of the cricket pitches are here in america.

I thought you were in India? Or have we had this conversation before - and you're in Lafyette in Indiana? Or is that someone else? So all the lads in the video are of 'Asian' origin and you're all living in the USA? What are the local white Americans like - what do they make of cricket and are they getting involved at all? Is it a private cricket pitch or is it a public cricket pitch and who else uses it beside you lads?

someblokecalleddave;400622 said:
I thought you were in India? Or have we had this conversation before - and you're in Lafyette in Indiana? Or is that someone else? So all the lads in the video are of 'Asian' origin and you're all living in the USA? What are the local white Americans like - what do they make of cricket and are they getting involved at all? Is it a private cricket pitch or is it a public cricket pitch and who else uses it beside you lads?

Dave you got him mixed up with me. I'm the one in Lafayette, Indiana. We have a university team that plays in the local league, but I could answer these questions just as well. In the midwest region we've got two major leagues -http://midwestcricket.org/ -40 over games we play in the Division I and mySportsClub.net :: Manage Sports League - 35 over games.

In both the tournaments it is quite common to see 90-95% of the teams dominated by the people of the Asian origin - or more specifically subcontinental origin. Remaining 5-10% players come from SA, Aus, Carribean and I've met one guy from UK.
Very rarely do I come across local americans play in these tournaments. In fact, if you look at the US team sent to the Bahamas for some ICC tournament- almost entire squad is made up of those from asian origin ( including a couple of people from the 40 over league).

As a university team, we are open to any and all members connected to the university, but as we maintain the ground out of funds allocated partly by univ, partly by our contributions and community service, pitch is open only to members.
Out in Chicago, there are a few astroturf pitches that can be rented. But haven't come across any that are "public pitches" as such.

Our ground is situated right beside the softball courts. So, our practice sometimes evinces passing interest in a 'modified version of baseball', but it stops at that.

leftnright;400553 said:

I think one suggestion would be to try and bowl with a higher arm. Right now, you are bowling with arm level at your shoulder (almost), Try getting it up higher - say 11 o clock at least.

And I had a cutout of an old interview of Prasanna (Errapalli) which helped me first grasp the idea that flighting the ball is not the same as lobbing it up in the air. Flighting the ball is making sure that each delivery has enough time to dip. So, bowling with higher revolutions lets you bowl faster to achieve same effect. Which incidentally means lesser time for the batsmen to make the adjustment.

IF you are bowling too slow, even if the batsman is beaten in flight, he has time to adjust (granted very few batsmen at club level make the adjustment once they are down the pitch looking to murder the ball but still the top batsmen can and do make the adjustments)

Shrek thanks..
your comment "think one suggestion would be to try and bowl with a higher arm. Right now, you are bowling with arm level at your shoulder (almost), Try getting it up higher - say 11 o clock at least."

11'o clock with what as reference my point - i believe my head.. but is it 11 clock with my head as reference when iam side-on or when i pivoted already..

these references to clock hand position really confuses me (I am ambidextrous and have a huge hand and direction coordination issues)

leftnright;400955 said:
Shrek thanks..
your comment "think one suggestion would be to try and bowl with a higher arm. Right now, you are bowling with arm level at your shoulder (almost), Try getting it up higher - say 11 o clock at least."

11'o clock with what as reference my point - i believe my head.. but is it 11 clock with my head as reference when iam side-on or when i pivoted already..

these references to clock hand position really confuses me (I am ambidextrous and have a huge hand and direction coordination issues)

No, the reference is ground. Wherever your head may be, get the reference from ground. 12o clock is perpendicular to the ground- what you are bowling is between 9 and 10 almost parallel to ground.

shrek;400631 said:
Dave you got him mixed up with me. I'm the one in Lafayette, Indiana. We have a university team that plays in the local league, but I could answer these questions just as well. In the midwest region we've got two major leagues -http://midwestcricket.org/ -40 over games we play in the Division I and mySportsClub.net :: Manage Sports League - 35 over games.

In both the tournaments it is quite common to see 90-95% of the teams dominated by the people of the Asian origin - or more specifically subcontinental origin. Remaining 5-10% players come from SA, Aus, Carribean and I've met one guy from UK.
Very rarely do I come across local americans play in these tournaments. In fact, if you look at the US team sent to the Bahamas for some ICC tournament- almost entire squad is made up of those from asian origin ( including a couple of people from the 40 over league).

As a university team, we are open to any and all members connected to the university, but as we maintain the ground out of funds allocated partly by univ, partly by our contributions and community service, pitch is open only to members.
Out in Chicago, there are a few astroturf pitches that can be rented. But haven't come across any that are "public pitches" as such.

Our ground is situated right beside the softball courts. So, our practice sometimes evinces passing interest in a 'modified version of baseball', but it stops at that.

Yeah I thought I was getting people mixed up and I'm not surprised that the 'Anglo-saxon' Americans haven't taken up the game. I've read in different places around the US where there are different ethnic groups normally those who have past associations with the British Empire albeit often not that convivial nature - they create pockets of interest and there are very small groups of white Americans that are involved. I had a quick look around youtube and only found evidence of non-white ethnic goups... YouTube - Cricket in New York: The Battle for Borough Supremacy Good on all you blokes to be playing the game in what looks like a country that is pretty indifferent to our beloved sport!

This sunday we played a game - i was able to put a little more oomph into my pivot and was able to get good dip and bounce - result 6 overs, 1 maiden, 32 runs, 3 wickets. All 3 wickets were stumping.. batsmen jumped out for ball on or outside offstump ball dipped on them and bounced and a little turn keeper was very good. Feels so good being a SLA

Back