Videos and Links

Ish is playing in the Northern Districts side that is in the T20 Champions Trophy, if they're screening those games in England you'll see him bowl (with Vettori out Ish is always a ND first pick). He has all the tricks needed (round the loop and a straighter one).

His problem is control and he's been pipped by an offie (Mark Craig) because of that but he has time on his side and the very small pool of NZ spinners to compete against. Helps that he can bat and is a decent fielder as well.

I'll be watching out for him then. So that's it for Vettori then? He was a fantastic bowler, loved watching him bowl.

And not being much of a physicist, it could well be that I am wrong on this point.

Perhaps. Maybe. :oops:

I think the idea is that the magnus forces acts on a spinning ball with corkscrew spin when it moves in the vertical frame. So if you bowl a legbreak, as it comes down it moves in towards a batsman.

But if downward vertical motion induces drift towards the legside, then upward vertical motion must induce drift towards the offside.

So a well flighted legbreak might initially drift to the offside on the way up, and then back to the legside on the way down again.

In reality, the amount of upwards movement on a normal delivery is negligible so this effect is not really noticeable or worth worrying about. Its only the drift on the way down that we notice.

That's right, so if a short leg spin bowler gives the ball lots of flight at a slow pace and gets a bit of revs you should see the drift away from the right hander?
At slow paces any magnus force is greatly reduced. I think you would need a strong headwind to see any drift from a 30mph delivery.

Besides I think swing/drift is more difficult to notice in the earlier part of flight as it can't deviate so far and the eye needs a little time to pick up an initial trajectory.

Last edited:
Any away drift during the upward part of the flght is matched by the in-drift on the equivalent downward portion (release level to highest point to release level) and then there is more in-drift again as the ball continues its downward trajectory. So whilst it is accurate to say the ball does drift away, that same ball drifts in further than it does away. Note that not every ball will even drift away, it depends on the angle of spin relative to the angle of motion.

More likely is that a legspinner bowled with minimal/no drift but with a breeze from the legside is getting blown toward the offside. Not 'magnus force' but I suppose you could call it drift...

Sorry, this might have been posted before.

My question is, has anyone here tried this or something similiar, and what do you think of it as a drill?

My question is, has anyone here tried this or something similiar, and what do you think of it as a drill?

I don't see why it wouldn't just encourage you to lob the ball up in the air, something that you definitely don't want to do.

Quick was definitely the wrong word. I'm bowling flat and struggling to spin the ball up automatically, so I was considering giving that drill a whirl.

The key is topspin. If you can get plenty of topspin on the ball but still keep it full and at a decent pace, you will trouble most batsmen.

The problem a lot of spinners have is that when they try to get that topspin and dip, they start bowling a) slower or b) shorter or c) slower and shorter.

Another thing I notice is that spinners routinely confuse "pitch it up" with "toss it up". Lad is bowling at a good pace but far too short, so I say "try to pitch it right up at the batsman's feet". He now starts lobbing the ball up in the air. Now he is bowling a good length, but far too slow.

Yes that sounds more or less like what I'm describing but there wasn't any breeze. Everyone could clearly see the ball "drifting" away. Sometimes when I bowl from wide on the crease from around and with a very low arm I can almost make the ball "drift" in the wrong direction, but still not as much as the other leg spinners can. They don't get significant revs and it might even be that the seam position combined with minimal spin causes some swing?
I would guess possible, but I think in order to swing away it would need to be bowled at a fair pace for a leg break and preferably close to topspin.

Alternatively, away drift might be achieved by having the axis of rotation tilted back, so there is a simple magnus effect operating towards the off until the ball is descending to the same degree. It is quite possible to do this and I suspect I have achieved this effect myself whereas I do not claim to have ever drifted the ball in significantly.

This is actually my video, and personally I felt like it improved my flight and also the areas I was bowling. I bowled more pitched up and flighted balls more frequently. The odd flat dragged down ball does come out but it happens with every wrist spinner

This is actually my video, and personally I felt like it improved my flight and also the areas I was bowling. I bowled more pitched up and flighted balls more frequently. The odd flat dragged down ball does come out but it happens with every wrist spinner

The string version hung across the wicket is a clearer and more tangible objective, I think a lot of kids would look at this if they're new to the art and not quite grasp the objective. Whereas something strung across the wicket above eye-level close enough to the batsman in order to force the bowler to get top-spin to achieve the objective might be a far better example?

Have a look at this. A bloke on Youtube 'Parbs88' I think he's called says that my feet don't align in relation to where my back foot lands, is the 'over-rotation' and the slight falling away thing I do as I go into the follow-through that he's on about?

Back