Videos and Links

C Cleanprophet this is a recent side on video of my action with my later release, It is still earlier than I thought it was, but I am getting good spin and its accurate, and the ball isnt slipping out. What do you think?

I apologise about the size I videod it on my phone! Recommend going to the channel to watch it.

I've been trying to build up a bit of a spin library and the latest addition is The Worlds Greatest Leg-Spin Bowlers by Jack Pollard. Not sure how this one escaped me because it's a lovely book with lots of large photographs. One bowler he focuses in on more than any other author/historian I've read (Rajan, Frith, Philpot, Benaud etc...) is an Aussie called Colin McCool who is always mentioned but rarely expanded upon. Apparently he turned it miles from a very low action:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/test-prelim-cricket/query/Colin

This is only footage I managed to find but isn't it great to actually watch one of these bowlers who are oft mentioned but rarely seen. I'd love to send a cameraman with a high def camera back in time to capture all these leggies like Mailey, freeman, dooland, Wright, Ring, Hollies, Armstrong, Tiger and Grum. If only!! It's a huge loss to spin bowling really.

I've been trying to build up a bit of a spin library and the latest addition is The Worlds Greatest Leg-Spin Bowlers by Jack Pollard. Not sure how this one escaped me because it's a lovely book with lots of large photographs. One bowler he focuses in on more than any other author/historian I've read (Rajan, Frith, Philpot, Benaud etc...) is an Aussie called Colin McCool who is always mentioned but rarely expanded upon. Apparently he turned it miles from a very low action:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/test-prelim-cricket/query/Colin

This is only footage I managed to find but isn't it great to actually watch one of these bowlers who are oft mentioned but rarely seen. I'd love to send a cameraman with a high def camera back in time to capture all these leggies like Mailey, freeman, dooland, Wright, Ring, Hollies, Armstrong, Tiger and Grum. If only!! It's a huge loss to spin bowling really.
Even Warne, there's one or two high speed bits of footage of him, but it's limited. It'd be great if there was some good high speed vid of all the releases by one of the experts.

Short clip of Shane Warne spinning from hand to hand, high speed camera footage. Seems both middle and ring fingers are spinning independently also ring finger is maybe just touching the seam.

2:31-2:37

Short clip of Shane Warne spinning from hand to hand, high speed camera footage. Seems both middle and ring fingers are spinning independently also ring finger is maybe just touching the seam.

2:31-2:37

Every time I see this I think why couldn't someone have taken a day out to Film Warn in all his glory under controlled conditions, so that every aspect of what he did was recorded properly. I'm guessing he could still do it now? I did sound out the slo mo guys on Youtube, but they never got back to me.

This is one of me trying to get back into bowling after a good few years out. Can't quite get the revs I used to!

It'll come Chris, keep practicing and it'll return. Just looked at the video - decent start a lot of turn at the moment, looks a little short, but the length will come as well no doubt. Are you thinking about joining a club and playing this season? Where are you - looking at the fact you're wearing shorts and outside I'm guessing you're in Australia or NZ?

Last edited:
It'll come Chris, keep practicing and it'll return. Just looked at the video - decent start a lot of turn at the moment, looks a little short, but the length will come as well no doubt. Are you thinking about joining a club and playing this season? Where are you - looking at the fact you're wearing shorts and outside I'm guessing you're in Australia or NZ?

I'm in London. Not sure about a club yet- will probably just continue to net, work on the bowling and see where it goes.

I was actually more interested in organising a meetup group for leg spinners around the UK and organising some nets in London. Not sure what the demand will be like!

I'm in London. Not sure about a club yet- will probably just continue to net, work on the bowling and see where it goes.

I was actually more interested in organising a meetup group for leg spinners around the UK and organising some nets in London. Not sure what the demand will be like!
Kris that's something that's been talked about on here a few times, I'm near you (Basildon, Essex) so I'd be able to do it easily, in fact one of the coaches on here - Tony M we've met up before at nets and an event at the Essex County ground. The rest of the blokes on here that are in the UK are clustered around the Midlands as far as I know, which if the same thing was proposed and organised I could probably do too as I've got relatives in the Midlands. Not sure what side of London you're on but my son and I are currently paying for net sessions in the Chelmsford on a regular basis, if you drive that might be a possibility in the shorter term if you're happy to split the cost.

Kris that's something that's been talked about on here a few times, I'm near you (Basildon, Essex) so I'd be able to do it easily, in fact one of the coaches on here - Tony M we've met up before at nets and an event at the Essex County ground. The rest of the blokes on here that are in the UK are clustered around the Midlands as far as I know, which if the same thing was proposed and organised I could probably do too as I've got relatives in the Midlands. Not sure what side of London you're on but my son and I are currently paying for net sessions in the Chelmsford on a regular basis, if you drive that might be a possibility in the shorter term if you're happy to split the cost.
I'm off work next week and I would be up for a session, though London maybe a bit far for me. Anyone within 30 miles of Northamptonshire up for a net?

Ye - not having some sort of spin community in the UK is something that bugged me when I was younger. Being a leg spinner at a club is a lonely existence! I'm based in Croydon at the moment.

I've set up this meetup group anyway, in the hope that I can get something going in London:

http://www.meetup.com/Leg-Spin-Bowling-UK/

Could be used for organising nets elsewhere in the Uk though. Do you think it's worth starting a new thread about the idea?

Back