Videos and Links

Here's my young bloke having a bit of bowl around dinner time last night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZftVWaUsU2A this wicket is the chalky concrete pitch that i use to check if he is hitting the seam because it leaves a little 'kiss' of chalkdust on the ball, which i check then wipe off the ball each delivery. He hit it nearly every ball ! thats was his best effort but we haven't bowled on that wicket for a while. It dont spin sideways much but bounces good.

He tries a flipper somewhere there but he didn't put enough effort in i reckon. It hit the seam as well but didn't go the journey. That is his double bounce revenge ball!
It swings a bit and is hard to get on the stumps but it is a long term project , he bowls one a session, thats all the work he does and a long way from match ready.
Sorry about quality of vid but it suits our policy of laying low a bit anyway.

Here's my young bloke having a bit of bowl around dinner time last night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZftVWaUsU2A this wicket is the chalky concrete pitch that i use to check if he is hitting the seam because it leaves a little 'kiss' of chalkdust on the ball, which i check then wipe off the ball each delivery. He hit it nearly every ball ! thats was his best effort but we haven't bowled on that wicket for a while. It dont spin sideways much but bounces good.

He tries a flipper somewhere there but he didn't put enough effort in i reckon. It hit the seam as well but didn't go the journey. That is his double bounce revenge ball!
It swings a bit and is hard to get on the stumps but it is a long term project , he bowls one a session, thats all the work he does and a long way from match ready.
Sorry about quality of vid but it suits our policy of laying low a bit anyway.

Wow, what fantastic shape and flight! You've been effective at masking his identity, but we can see enough to know he's good. On some of those stock balls I could almost hear the ball fizzing!

Looks pretty good to me - I made a lame comment about the exposure - couldn't help myself, but now noticed that it suits your clandestine youtube activities! Last ball took the camera out?

This clip we just shot gives a better picture of what my kid bowls .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZnjAYo25c He starts off with a big legbreak that curves in a fair way then spins back to take top of off, to show he can hit the stumps like if he has to, then a stock legbreak followed by one for the lefty then a couple of legbreaks followed by a little wrongun and finishes with a topspinner that wipes out the camera on middle stump.

He was pretty pleased with his googly if you noticed and it drifted like an off break a bit too, but pitched a bit too wide to off. He isn't putting in here like he does in a match but fair dinkum he can land em on a good length nearly every ball.

This clip we just shot gives a better picture of what my kid bowls .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZnjAYo25c He starts off with a big legbreak that curves in a fair way then spins back to take top of off, to show he can hit the stumps like if he has to, then a stock legbreak followed by one for the lefty then a couple of legbreaks followed by a little wrongun and finishes with a topspinner that wipes out the camera on middle stump.

He was pretty pleased with his googly if you noticed and it drifted like an off break a bit too, but pitched a bit too wide to off. He isn't putting in here like he does in a match but fair dinkum he can land em on a good length nearly every ball.

Macca, I think many here would be delighted if they'd just bowled those balls without a load of dross being interspersed!

its hard to get perspective from video, but do you not feel he was dropping on the short side a bit in this video? a few balls looked like they dropped short for the pace, mostly because they were dropping back down long before passing the stumps, thats how im judging it, so it might not be accurate.

i find it really hard to judge length without a batsman for this reason. what looks a good length can prove too full or short once a batsman is facing it. i tend to practice on the full side now, because taking flight off is a lot easier than adding it on. and full balls are still hard to play unless youre confident in coming forward and attacking. lots of batsmen are reluctant to come forward to leg spin if a few have turned off a good driving length, and then the full ball doesnt get punished, whereas the short one almost always does.

your boys bowling looks awesome though. great shape on a few of those deliveries, hes obviously getting very good revs.

its hard to get perspective from video, but do you not feel he was dropping on the short side a bit in this video? a few balls looked like they dropped short for the pace, mostly because they were dropping back down long before passing the stumps, thats how im judging it, so it might not be accurate.

Not really , the one that hit the stumps was a bit short and was on its way down with less overspin and more sidespin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZnjAYo25c and one other slower legbreak but everything else was on the up with overspin as they went through the hitting zone. You can see the ball getting plenty of air up out of the hand they dip and drop but it brings the batsman forward.

He dont normaly bowl to hit the stumps like that so much as in ball 1 that was after watching saddos vid of young kid hitting stumps jimmy said "i can do that" and he can because he practised it for two years but when he tried to do it in games it did not work, too short and too slow spin. gave that up 2 years ago

He might pitch up more to a batsman but he has only gone for 2 4's all season, which is a sign he isn't too short in the game situation.

Not really , the one that hit the stumps was a bit short and was on its way down with less overspin and more sidespin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZnjAYo25c and one other slower legbreak but everything else was on the up with overspin as they went through the hitting zone. You can see the ball getting plenty of air up out of the hand they dip and drop but it brings the batsman forward.

He dont normaly bowl to hit the stumps like that so much as in ball 1 that was after watching saddos vid of young kid hitting stumps jimmy said "i can do that" and he can because he practised it for two years but when he tried to do it in games it did not work, too short and too slow spin. gave that up 2 years ago

He might pitch up more to a batsman but he has only gone for 2 4's all season, which is a sign he isn't too short in the game situation.

yeh, and games is where it counts. it might also be a difference between bowling on artificial wickets compared to net wickets that are softened to replicate the bounce of turf. its always hard to judge deliveries from video, length gets skewed by the angle the camera sits at. whatever length hes hitting, hes hitting consistently. id imagine hes landing every delivery inside a hula hoop, maybe even tighter than that.

changing the subject a bit - i removed all of my videos from YouTube the other week, in case anyone had looked for them and wondered where theyd gone. they are all still there but i made them private so nobody can see them, so i can reactivate them at any time. the most recent videos are now nearly a year old, the original ones were over 2 years old. my bowling action is so much better now though, so the videos were an out of date representation of what im capable of, and also not the best educational tools for anyone looking for ideas on how to bowl. YouTube is full of negative comments, thats to be expected, so i wasnt really bothered by getting unconstructive criticism every few weeks. but it was starting to get annoying when people were criticising aspects of my action that ive already changed lol.

so ive taken them all down, and hopefully il get the chance to shoot some new videos soon. once the weather perks up, probably middle of march if we are lucky, il get outside and i have unlimited time to get videos then. indoors the nets are expensive, so wasting time on video isnt really worth my while. but il try and get some basic videos next time i have a practice. theyll most likely be against a batsman as well. im going to try and mount a GoPro camera on his helmet so i can view the deliveries from a batsmans-eye-perspective. i think that will be hugely beneficial in determining the right lines and lengths. a batsmans head focus essentially tells you everything you need to know about how he is reading the delivery, and the shot he wants to play, etc. could prove very useful. the guy i practice with is a very good batsman (hes a very good all round cricketer full stop). hes probably ECB premier standard really, or not far off it, hes as good as anyone we play against who plays at that level. so it should be some good footage.

yeh, and games is where it counts. it might also be a difference between bowling on artificial wickets compared to net wickets that are softened to replicate the bounce of turf. its always hard to judge deliveries from video, length gets skewed by the angle the camera sits at. whatever length hes hitting, hes hitting consistently. id imagine hes landing every delivery inside a hula hoop, maybe even tighter than that.

changing the subject a bit - i removed all of my videos from YouTube the other week, in case anyone had looked for them and wondered where theyd gone. they are all still there but i made them private so nobody can see them, so i can reactivate them at any time. the most recent videos are now nearly a year old, the original ones were over 2 years old. my bowling action is so much better now though, so the videos were an out of date representation of what im capable of, and also not the best educational tools for anyone looking for ideas on how to bowl. YouTube is full of negative comments, thats to be expected, so i wasnt really bothered by getting unconstructive criticism every few weeks. but it was starting to get annoying when people were criticising aspects of my action that ive already changed lol.

so ive taken them all down, and hopefully il get the chance to shoot some new videos soon. once the weather perks up, probably middle of march if we are lucky, il get outside and i have unlimited time to get videos then. indoors the nets are expensive, so wasting time on video isnt really worth my while. but il try and get some basic videos next time i have a practice. theyll most likely be against a batsman as well. im going to try and mount a GoPro camera on his helmet so i can view the deliveries from a batsmans-eye-perspective. i think that will be hugely beneficial in determining the right lines and lengths. a batsmans head focus essentially tells you everything you need to know about how he is reading the delivery, and the shot he wants to play, etc. could prove very useful. the guy i practice with is a very good batsman (hes a very good all round cricketer full stop). hes probably ECB premier standard really, or not far off it, hes as good as anyone we play against who plays at that level. so it should be some good footage.

Sounds great Jim - I can't wait!

Yeah I rarely practice trying to hit the stumps unless I'm bowling outside of leg which is a pretty new approach for me and something I need to work on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGa3dhD1GQg generally as you know I'm more of a off-stump attack bloke, it give you more options I reckon, the straight ball might go straight on to the stumps, the wrong un will turn into the stumps so if you bring them out fairly early the batsman might then err towards a more cautious approach and play straight, the I'm looking for the edge to the keeper.

I don't think the go-pro will pick up the ball particularly well what with the head movement, but worth a try if it's a bit of kit you've already got. It'll be good to see your improved bowling action, you had a lot of hits on your vids Jim and generally far more positive comments than bad. If you're out my way again this year Jim with that same client we'll have to get together in some proper nets - there's some at Chalkwell which is right near your client if I recall correctly? It'll be good to see how we get on as we've both changed our actions by the sounds of it. My batting wont have changed unlike yours - so I will be expecting to be smashed all over the nets when I bowl and for you to take my wicket several times when I try and bat!

Just shot another vid to check length http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GuHcfEBFdw i set the yellow spot at 7 foot from batting crease which is around a good length to a lot of kids a bit full to some adults and taller kids.

Notice the first ball is a bit short cause he wants to hit the stumps to show off following on from yesterday then the second one is similar length but still full and not short the third one is a beautiful legbreak on the 7' line, down legside and spins well past off, say no more. The last ball he hits the spot with a great topspinner. I edited this from an over on the way to training.

Just shot another vid to check length http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GuHcfEBFdw i set the yellow spot at 7 foot from batting crease which is around a good length to a lot of kids a bit full to some adults and taller kids.

Notice the first ball is a bit short cause he wants to hit the stumps to show off following on from yesterday then the second one is similar length but still full and not short the third one is a beautiful legbreak on the 7' line, down legside and spins well past off, say no more. The last ball he hits the spot with a great topspinner. I edited this from an over on the way to training.

Well, I don't care what anyone says - as far as I'm concerned that 3rd delivery is a peach.

Your lad seems to be coming on very well. I like the lines he's bowling and he's getting a fair bit of turn. How old is he now and how often does he train?

Your lad seems to be coming on very well. I like the lines he's bowling and he's getting a fair bit of turn. How old is he now and how often does he train?

He just turned 13 and trains all year round 3 or 4 days a week, 3 or 4 overs sometimes 5 or 6, a session. Few weeks off here and there through the year.

How is the young batting tyro going that you posted a while back ? I'd like to see him again with a smaller sized bat.

He just turned 13 and trains all year round 3 or 4 days a week, 3 or 4 overs sometimes 5 or 6, a session. Few weeks off here and there through the year.

How is the young batting tyro going that you posted a while back ? I'd like to see him again with a smaller sized bat.

He's been doing indoor nets once a week to keep him ticking over - we've had a very long cold spell. Weather wise things are getting better so should be able to get into to the nets if the rain holds off. We got a smaller bat which used for a month or two but now he's back to his original bat as he's grown a bit
smile.png

Back