Videos and Links

Fairly interesting little vid, pretty simple stuff really isn't it this off spin! How embarrassing is the guy they sent to interview him though?! Christ, The Sun could have at least sent someone who wasn't totally clueless, it was hard to watch!
Yeah, it's off spin as well, and it's pathetic indeed for a company that's owned by the company that owns Sky sports and Fox sports.

This will probably have been posted, but I just found it recently. It's Arul Suppiah's 6 for 5 playing for Somerset against Glamorgan. Hope you enjoy it.

hey guys new to bigcricket, was wondering what you thought of these vids i put up recently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=fNDm7jzCccU

Just going on the clip titles it sounds like you changed your action a little bit lately?

The first one shows your action off good and the second one gives a glimpse of some nice shape to your delivery with good spin and bounce.

Some coaches might try and get you to make more use of your non bowling arm, possibly by reaching up with it rather than tucking it in but if what you are doing right now is working for you than you should stick to it.

I would like to see a view of your stuff with a camera behind and above middle peg, in full sun, to get a good decko of your bowling. We could see if you were drifting away from the right handers.

You look like your bounce would trouble batsmen and you seem ready for a caught and bowled after follow through. How you going for your topspinner?

Just going on the clip titles it sounds like you changed your action a little bit lately?

The first one shows your action off good and the second one gives a glimpse of some nice shape to your delivery with good spin and bounce.

Some coaches might try and get you to make more use of your non bowling arm, possibly by reaching up with it rather than tucking it in but if what you are doing right now is working for you than you should stick to it.

I would like to see a view of your stuff with a camera behind and above middle peg, in full sun, to get a good decko of your bowling. We could see if you were drifting away from the right handers.

You look like your bounce would trouble batsmen and you seem ready for a caught and bowled after follow through. How you going for your topspinner?

cheers for the reply an feedback macca, ive been following bigcricket for a bit so deemed this an opportunity to get involved an gain some advice.
yeah my mates do a coaching analysis course at university so they used me for their project, they just looked at minor things really however they did state my bowling arm was rather tucked and doesn't flow, lead and extend through the action efficiently, though the non-bowling arm is tucked to allow me to get more side on and get my body through the ball as i used to have a tendency of opening up an dragging it down.
yeah macca ill get some hardball stuff when the weathers better here in England with a couple of decent angles to get a look at my front an back view of the action, above the first vid is a link for the third video its a frontal view at a 45 degree angle.
i tend to drift the ball away quite a bit the videos dont really represent my style of bowling as the surface an the softball didn't really suffice, my topspinners ok it works well to lefties trying to hit me they tend to sky it in the air. i also have a variety of wronguns and sliders. over the years my bowling style has encouraged me to get into that position after follow through due to the amount of caught and bowled opportunities that tend to come my way (shame i never catch them) lol

Now here's a chap who knows his onions, extremely helpful video for the beginner and good reminders for all of us! The only bad thing I have to say about this is that does this stifle individuality/creativity/idiosyncrasy somewhat? The two young lads have very repeatable but very similar actions, boring but effective. Their arms are quite high as well. Similar to what we see with English players like Borthwick, Beer, Waller. This coaching is obviously a good thing in many ways but does it result in 'over-coaching'? Could we imagine a Warne, MacGill or Qadir ever being produced by this? You'd have to say probably not.

Now here's a chap who knows his onions, extremely helpful video for the beginner and good reminders for all of us! The only bad thing I have to say about this is that does this stifle individuality/creativity/idiosyncrasy somewhat? The two young lads have very repeatable but very similar actions, boring but effective. Their arms are quite high as well. Similar to what we see with English players like Borthwick, Beer, Waller. This coaching is obviously a good thing in many ways but does it result in 'over-coaching'? Could we imagine a Warne, MacGill or Qadir ever being produced by this? You'd have to say probably not.

Interesting stuff relating to the bound and the energy going forwards.

That was a really good find GoldenArm, one of the better clips making the rounds.

Dead set right about the two young lads arms being a bit high, for my liking anyway.

Top Stuff that Mushtaq Vid, I've made a note of some of the fields he uses and when I get hold of Photo-shop again I'll post them on the fields thread. I like his bowling action and the energy in his action. Yeah Robelinda is a legend!

I strongly dislike the standing start bowling method, I think its a lazy and potentially damaging coaching technique. Its just an unnatural position to be in, as a spinner you never have both feet on the ground like that at the same time, and certainly not at the point your arms are both up by your chest. Its only advantage is that it makes it easier for a lazy coach to make sure the bowlers arms etc are in the position they want - if you're a good coach you can do this by changing their run up or how they hold the ball as they approach the crease.

I would agree that the standing start teaches awkward, rigid, mechanical bowling actions. Its enough to give a young bowler the yips. As a result, neither of those players had particularly good bowling actions I'm afraid.

I found when I was doing my level 2 coaching I had to teach myself to be able to bowl from a standing start to be able to pass the course, because its so different from a normal bowling action that its not something that comes naturally. I then had to quickly unteach it again before it ruined by bowling action permanently. If you want to slow things down, a walking exaggerated action like the 3 knees drill is better.

I strongly dislike the standing start bowling method, I think its a lazy and potentially damaging coaching technique. Its just an unnatural position to be in, as a spinner you never have both feet on the ground like that at the same time, and certainly not at the point your arms are both up by your chest. Its only advantage is that it makes it easier for a lazy coach to make sure the bowlers arms etc are in the position they want - if you're a good coach you can do this by changing their run up or how they hold the ball as they approach the crease.

I would agree that the standing start teaches awkward, rigid, mechanical bowling actions. Its enough to give a young bowler the yips. As a result, neither of those players had particularly good bowling actions I'm afraid.

I found when I was doing my level 2 coaching I had to teach myself to be able to bowl from a standing start to be able to pass the course, because its so different from a normal bowling action that its not something that comes naturally. I then had to quickly unteach it again before it ruined by bowling action permanently. If you want to slow things down, a walking exaggerated action like the 3 knees drill is better.

Whoa controversial stuff there from SLA. I've always seen it get people back on track, I use it to get back on track if my bowling's a bit iffy and Jenner was a big advocate of this technique and it features in the ECB wings to fly coaching video.

Back