Videos and Links

Don't know if you guys have seen this one before, lot of stuff you've not doubt seen before but all put together into a package with some talking heads. I personally can never get enough so I found it a good way to spend an hour! also today I had Stuey Macgill start following me on youtube, how about that!

Nice one, you should try and get Macgill to have a look around here. I've had some contact with him, seems like a good bloke.

i asked him questions about drift, but he came back with the stock answers, he then suggested i linked him to some of my bowling vids. a few days now - still waiting for a response...

Here's a video I found of Bryce McGain, Shame he didn't get a longer run in the Test side. I thought the Aussie boards treatment of the bloke was pretty shocking to be honest.

i asked him questions about drift, but he came back with the stock answers, he then suggested i linked him to some of my bowling vids. a few days now - still waiting for a response...

cool, be interesting to see what he comes back with. He strikes me as just the kind of bloke who might write a book one day in the grand old tradition of the more erudite leg spinners. A la Grum, Warwick Armstrong, Tiger O'Reilly, Benaud, Philpott. Its high time one of the more recent generation added to the canon.

cool, be interesting to see what he comes back with. He strikes me as just the kind of bloke who might write a book one day in the grand old tradition of the more erudite leg spinners. A la Grum, Warwick Armstrong, Tiger O'Reilly, Benaud, Philpott. Its high time one of the more recent generation added to the canon.

Yeah absolutely or perhaps carve out a career doing what Jenner did, being on call to hand out advice to up and coming wrist spinners at both pro level and all the way down to 11 year olds at the clubs around the world.

I noticed that Tahir was slammed by Bob willis and Mark Butcher on the Sky highlights program - saying that he was basically near to useless...

I think that's a pretty harsh statement from them, especially considering they're not the best judges of spin bowling in the world. Tahir tries to make the most of what he's got, he took a pretty crucial wicket to dismiss Bairstow, one that conceivably could have saved the game and the series for them! But his tactics are entirely based around the fact he doesn't turn his leg break very far, he had to come round the wicket on a day 5 turning pitch to get the ball to rip. Its not like it was just a change up either he stuck around the wicket all bloody day purely on the basis it made his leg break turn more and he could slip in a wrong un occasionally. Pretty one dimensional I thought. Useless is not what he is, but a match winner is what he is not. But they have a raft of fast bowlers to do that for them, he just gives them variety. God knows what they'd be like to face with a genuine match winning spinner in the side like Ajmal. Terrifying!

N.B. Plus he's a heck of a lot better to watch than Paul Harris, so thank heaven for small mercies!

I think that's a pretty harsh statement from them, especially considering they're not the best judges of spin bowling in the world. Tahir tries to make the most of what he's got, he took a pretty crucial wicket to dismiss Bairstow, one that conceivably could have saved the game and the series for them! But his tactics are entirely based around the fact he doesn't turn his leg break very far, he had to come round the wicket on a day 5 turning pitch to get the ball to rip. Its not like it was just a change up either he stuck around the wicket all bloody day purely on the basis it made his leg break turn more and he could slip in a wrong un occasionally. Pretty one dimensional I thought. Useless is not what he is, but a match winner is what he is not. But they have a raft of fast bowlers to do that for them, he just gives them variety. God knows what they'd be like to face with a genuine match winning spinner in the side like Ajmal. Terrifying!

N.B. Plus he's a heck of a lot better to watch than Paul Harris, so thank heaven for small mercies!

They obviously feel that he's an asset to the team on the basis of his bowling and that he gives them an additional dimension. If you see him in the field he's certainly not there because of his similarities to Herschell Gibbs or his batting!... Yeah I thought it was very harsh.

I noticed that Tahir was slammed by Bob willis and Mark Butcher on the Sky highlights program - saying that he was basically near to useless...
I don't know about the other non-English guys but in general I'm disappointed with the analysis that some of the English commentators bring to the table, technical stuff they're usually on the money but for everything else it's like they're reading The Idiots Guide To Cricket. Strategy and spin bowling is severely out of the league of a lot of them. They thankfully don't have the histrionics that the Aussie commentators have but some genuine insight for people who actually play cricket would be nice.

(Note that I'm not saying NZ commentators are any better; try suffering through the tour de farce of Simon Doull, Mark Richardson, Danny Morrison and Craig McMillan every summer)

I don't know about the other non-English guys but in general I'm disappointed with the analysis that some of the English commentators bring to the table, technical stuff they're usually on the money but for everything else it's like they're reading The Idiots Guide To Cricket. Strategy and spin bowling is severely out of the league of a lot of them. They thankfully don't have the histrionics that the Aussie commentators have but some genuine insight for people who actually play cricket would be nice.

(Note that I'm not saying NZ commentators are any better; try suffering through the tour de farce of Simon Doull, Mark Richardson, Danny Morrison and Craig McMillan every summer)

Yeah not having a proper spinner for years, we're left with all sorts trying guess whether it's one thing or another and needless to say they kind of have this expectation that anyone that spins - especially when it's wrist spin - needs to be doing it at the levels you'd expect of Warne and Macgill. Thank God Warnie is around some of the time, I seem to recall when he's commentated on Tahir he's been fair if not pretty complimentary?

Yeah not having a proper spinner for years, we're left with all sorts trying guess whether it's one thing or another and needless to say they kind of have this expectation that anyone that spins - especially when it's wrist spin - needs to be doing it at the levels you'd expect of Warne and Macgill. Thank God Warnie is around some of the time, I seem to recall when he's commentated on Tahir he's been fair if not pretty complimentary?
My favourite moment from the series that's just been was where someone had muttered how negative Tahir had been bowling round the wicket and then one of them remembered that Warne was in the box so they thought they'd ask him why. Warne proceeded to concisely communicate the flaw in Bell's technique that Tahir was targeting and why going around the wicket helped to accentuate it, after the next ball Warne asked for a replay zoom in and slow mo which perfectly demonstrated what he had just said. The others said nothing about Tahir after that.

My favourite moment from the series that's just been was where someone had muttered how negative Tahir had been bowling round the wicket and then one of them remembered that Warne was in the box so they thought they'd ask him why. Warne proceeded to concisely communicate the flaw in Bell's technique that Tahir was targeting and why going around the wicket helped to accentuate it, after the next ball Warne asked for a replay zoom in and slow mo which perfectly demonstrated what he had just said. The others said nothing about Tahir after that.

Yeah - exactly!

Can someone pull out this particular passage of play- will be indebted.

Can someone pull out this particular passage of play- will be indebted.
Will see what I can find but I'd imagine the UK posters are in a better position, Warne specifically mentioned Bell's habit of plonking his front foot down the track and playing around his pad to Tahir's googly from round the wicket. Warne suggested that Tahir was aiming for bat pad, one off the gloves or an LBW.

Will see what I can find but I'd imagine the UK posters are in a better position, Warne specifically mentioned Bell's habit of plonking his front foot down the track and playing around his pad to Tahir's googly from round the wicket. Warne suggested that Tahir was aiming for bat pad, one off the gloves or an LBW.

It was on SKY, so I doubt if it'll ever get seen.

Back