Virender's Blog-2008

Virender's Blog-2008

After a month of Marriage; Life has started at the normal pace with Office work load increased and cricketing season nearly ending.
The concentration will be now on office work.With monsoon approaching very soon it is necessary that I sit with the club captain and discuss the plans for Off-season training.
But given the laclustre response from members as most are working guys;the practice will be kept for weekends only.
This time around;I will update my blog with photos taken during our practice session or an overview of the normal life in our city which is something my fellow forum members across the globe will find interesting.
I have requested the SC Admin guys to create a section and hoefully something can be done about it.

Looking forward to 2008; I will especially work on my fitness as injuries and irregular working hours has put off my fitness goal and made me felt miserable.
With the "Off-Season" ON;I can work on my fitness and be prepared in a better physical and mental state by the time cricketing season starts at October'08.
My wife is also supportive of my playing cricket as she herself is a cricket enthusiast and have watched a few IPL matches with me.

Re: Virender's Blog-2008

You're a lucky bloke Virender that your wife has an interest in cricket! My wife thinks I should be sectioned under the mental health laws, she does not get it one bit.

Virendersingh.berthwal said:
Following the link is my practice ground known as Central Maidan in Thane.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.565777,0.426144&spn=0.001421,0.005386&t=k&z=18

That first map takes you to my gaff in Essex!!!

Is your place the triangular shaped field? Do you play in the big cricket ground nearby at all? I like the idea of using the Google maps to get a feel for where people live, unfortunately we're not all covered by the same levels of photographic detail - but yours like mine is fairly detailed. It'd be good to seev where you live Jonesy if you're reading this as you're in OZ somewhere and I think you've said before you use artificial wickets suggesting where you live is a bit dry?

someblokecalleddave said:
You're a lucky bloke Virender that your wife has an interest in cricket! My wife thinks I should be sectioned under the mental health laws, she does not get it one bit.
Yeah she likes cricket and supports my cricket.
Anyhow age is not a essential to play cricket.
U maintain Ur fitness level and energetic to play.
That is good to see.
I wish u all the best and any help u Require;I will be gladly ready for it. :)

Dave, The triangular shaped field is my cricket ground.We have our pracrice nets there and matches also.
Now it is "OFF SEASON" so were not having any nets.
Google map is good for an overview and thanks to you that I could use it for greater effect.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...198391,72.980483&spn=0.0092,0.014505&t=h&z=16
I have attached the link.As u can see the name of the Cricket ground is "Central Maidan".
Now we will be having our off season practice there itself.
Tomorrow I will post few pictures of the Cricket ground.

Chapter-1 Off Season Training-Knocking Practice
We started our knocking practice with a low intensity with only knocking practice.
May month is one the hottest month in the subcontinent and within 45 Min's of practice everybody drained out.
Since tomorrow also we will carry out practice at full 22 yards so we need to plan to keep practice on Saturday low profile.
I have attached photos & videos in the General discussion thread.

Chapter-2; Spot Bowling.
We started the usual knocking practice and then switched to spot bowling.
With the rain delayed for a week; we have the dry surface to ideally practice spot bowling.
Spot bowling is good to develop bowling skills but i pushed hard and struggled to pitch at the right spot.
Next weekend i will try to capture it on video to do a self-analysis but with the mobile camera available.
I have will try to make it the most.
Since parents have gone out of station for one month;my wife and me have to manage the household daily chords.
It is a good opportunity to see wether we can manage a house on our own given the fact that we both are working.
Rainfall is expected within a week and then the practice continues with the rubber balls instead of the tennis balls used nowdays.
Fitness will be a key thing as injuries and work stress had taken a toll on body and mind and lost a great deal of focus in last season.
I have decided to relax a lot this coming season and be at ease.
Too much of involvement in cricket will be demanding to me as job and family are top priority.

Chapter-3, Wrist Injury.
Practicing today was diffcult as the right hand wrist was in pain especially when bending.
So following Liz's advice of R.I.C.E.
I have been done the same from last few days and will continue for one week.
So bowling and shooting video and photo was my agenda.
Today I gave my fast bowler Tapeball and he was swinging few balls which were unplayable.
His video is posted in Bowling Thread.I hope to get suggestions and advice for his improvement.
This coming season he should be our main strike bowler because last season he was warming the bench and looked very sad.
This time I will see to that he is playing most of the matches.We need to have bowlers like him-fearless and takes initiative to learn and most importantly ready to sweat it out.
We are only 3 players practicing regularly on the weekends and hopefully the rest will join.This team is not used to off season practice during moonsoon.So it will take time.
I have to avoid batting for this weekend to safeguard my wrist and by next weekend it will heal.
I posted a few photos in the general discussion thread in "Videos & Photos".
Looking forward for tomorrow's practice as well.

Virender, How long does the moonsoon last and does your pitch get badly affected by the rain? The tennis balls you've mentioned surely they're not normal tennis balls - they're the "Cricket tennis balls" harder and heavier?

Dave,
The moonsoon lasts till October and the pitches are left out open as the photo suggests.
Yes;We use Cricket tennis ball which are harder and heavier but generally tennis ball are used for cricket only.so the common word is referred to cricket tennis ball.
With the moonsoon raining heavily;we use rubber balls only-(Photos on Saturday)

Chapter4- Walk the Talk.

It has become a habit to call teammates and reminding them about the weekend practice with rubber balls.They seem to wait for the call and will never make an attempt to call.
One such call to my captain opened out new things of his mind.He spoke lot about cricket,club's future combination and off season practice.This clubhad for the first time heard about off season practice in rain and muddy outfield.Rubber ball will be useful as rain water will not make it wet and heavy compared to a tennis cricket ball.
Since weekend is a great to catch up with teammates a practice along the way is useful to stay in touch with the game.Then the concern of getting wet in rain was taken care by wearing a jacket.
I am sure this trend started by me will progress into a much bigger picture and more of the teammates will participate.Captain has assured of his presence this weekend and will be encouraging & happy to see my efforts will not go wasted.
Their is always something or the other in cricket to practice irrespective of the weather conditions.
Strangely some of the local boys in the nearby area playing football also showed interest and came over last sunday to bowl some deliveries.
Discussing with the captain was about theplans for the upcoming season and we are looking forward to include more new players in the team as their is a shortage of players.
The surprising part was captain wants me to get more involved in the club functioning and probably intended of leading the team incoming season.
I have done that before for my previous club but now the priorties have changed.The interest is more of just playing cricket and managing my work & life.
I have the confidence & experience to lead a team but maybe for a few matches.
I am good at man management,good motivator and i can make realise a player of his true potential and encourage him to work hard and let him understand his job.This qualities i have inherited by my work experience,observation an useful feedbacks from David's: harrowdrive and Liz's advice and simplycricket.net(best thing happened).
Right now I have to Rush for my number one priority :) and that is to pick up my wife on the way home and then pack my things,check the car to be ready weekend practice.
More photos and practice updates will be continued.
Bye for now :D

Sounds great Virender. One of the biggest problems that most clubs face is a lack of member action. Sure, a lot of people will just turn up and play, but clubs need people like you to show an interest and try and motivate others to take a bigger part in the club. Good on ya ;)

Thanks Ed,
The problem is that people want to play cricket on their terms and not play as per cricketing terms.
For this Self discipline comes from inside of each individual.

Chapter 5- Weekend Practice.
Weekend was good with no rain and it was easy for us to concentrate and slowly we are feeling confident of the practice.
Our fast bowler is getting in rhythm and is eager to practice for perfection.I am taking great interest in his bowling and faced a lot of deliveries.He was made to bowl for 5 overs at a stretch.
Most of his deliveries were unplayable.He was pitching in the right areas and clearly knew that pitching of the ball was important and not movement since it is a rubber ball practice on wet soil.
He pitched the ball concentrating on the cones kept to mark his pitching area.
He is started to feel the difference and has a very good head over his shoulders.
He has speed variations,good bouncer,yorker and effective slower delivery.He is even trying some leg spin type grip delivery as well but I have told him not do and concentrate on his fast bowling rhythm.
Since my hamstring injury on left leg has made to rest for the whole week.I still made a point to be for the practice.
Just bowled a couple of overs and felt little bit of stiffness in the back.
The hamstring injury has affected my game from last 2 season and the back is very painful.
Sachin is also working hard on his off spin and does leave a room to a batsmen.He is a good spinner of the ball and a street smart spinner.
He has the ability to be one of the best off spinner's in mumbai and a good prospect for any club.
Last season I made him joined a good club in mumbai but before he could be a success in mumbai club circuit.His parents cut off his desire by not letting him play any more cricket.He can be a successfull professional cricketer.
I remember telling the coaches and players gathered around after practice session in the central ground that Sachin is the best off spinner in thane region and can be a key asset in any "A" division cricket club.
If given an opportunity he will be a success for Mumbai Ranji team.
He can make any batsmen dance to his off spin.
He is one hell of a talent being wasted by his family.
I wish to do more for him even got him enrolled to a top club in mumbai but his parents are ruining his cricket.They don't understand his potential.
On sunday i.e. 15th we got any unusual player a small boy of 14 years was wandering around the ground and I offered him to keeping duties and he was all over the place to gather the ball.He was happy and offered him to play on weekends with us and can play in our club without worrying about the fees.
I believe a player irrespective of less or more talent should be crazy for the game and givehis 100% for it.
Surprisingly his medium pace bowling looked like leg spinner and after that i made him bowl leg spin.It was diffcult but told to spin wrist like closing a door knob and practice in between at home with just the wrist spinning.
One by one we are getting people amused.They are seeing cones being placed for marking the pitching area of fast bowler.
So in coming days the practice will continue wether anybody comes or not.We will "carry on".
Below is the photos of the Rubber Ball,Central Ground and Fast Bowler-Anis in action.

Back