Waca Test Match Faces Axe

Junction Oval is due to be upgraded for the 2016/17 season to first-class status. Presently, CA and AFL have an in-principle agreement that the AFL can use the MCG from mid March 2016 but there is yet to be anything official at this stage. That would mean Victoria would have to host any Sheffield Shield final (should they win the right to host) outside Victoria again.

I believe the upgrade of Junction Oval also has a $5million shortfall at the moment as well.

I have no confidence that the Junction Oval upgrade will be complete in time for the 2016/17 season. It wouldn't surprise me if the Vic Labor Party screw the entire project.

Time will tell!

Yes i remember that test very well. Bob Holland and Bennett in the team but AB spun us to victory. I get that ib some cases it is hard, after all the Boxing day test at the G is a must but these drop in pitches are a disaster for test cricket.
Adelaide has the same problem with a second ground but at least we could keep the WACA and border oval in Brisbane would also work. There is North Sydney also but would need to be enlarged.

I think it was the 1984/85 West Indies side we beat at the SCG with Murray Bennett and Bob Holland.

AB's spin buddies at the SCG in 1988/89 were Peter Taylor and Trevor Hohns.

Seem to remember AB taking plenty of wickets in the ODI series of 1988/89 aswell.

I have no confidence that the Junction Oval upgrade will be complete in time for the 2016/17 season. It wouldn't surprise me if the Vic Labor Party screw the entire project.

Time will tell!

There's some conflicting reports, some articles suggest it will be 2016/17 while others have said it will be 2017/18. CV has an article which says 2017/18 so we'll go with that.

The redevelopment began two months ago so it has already started.

Back