Water damage

breeno

Water damage

I have a bit of swelling in the toe of my bat due to water getting into it, even though I keep it oiled. Any tips for what I should do? Should I wait for it to dry out and then oil then shoe goo it?

Re: Water damage

Depends on how bad it is. Generally, let it dry out and then look to protect it. Shoe goo or a decent toe guard should do it.

Thanks Mas. It's only about half a centimetre out, and about 4cm squared, maybe not even that. How long would you suggest to let it dry out?

There's no sure-fire way to sort this problem out is there?

I remember a guy I played cricket with a few years ago had the toe of his bat so swollen that it looked somewhat like a tumour. I don't think that bat was ever the same again.

It's a relatively new bat an only a small bit of swelling. Measured it and it was 2cms across and 2.3cms up. The swelling itself is only about 4-5mm. I let it dry out, sand papered it clean, oiled the toe and back (face has extratec), and once that dries, tomorrow or the day after I'll put some shoe goo on it. Glad it didn't swell heaps.

Rampant;377952 said:
There's no sure-fire way to sort this problem out is there?

I remember a guy I played cricket with a few years ago had the toe of his bat so swollen that it looked somewhat like a tumour. I don't think that bat was ever the same again.

Not really, once it goes it goes. You can dry out minor water damage but generally once water gets in the damage is permanent.

Oiling a bat is as much about locking in the natural moisture content of the wood as keeping water out.

No matter how well you look after it, oil it and protect the toe, if you play in really damp conditions chances are water will get in.

Back