What is the most physically demanding sport?

Jonesy

What is the most physically demanding sport?

AFL? Soccer? Tennis? Rugby?

I would say - although you get breaks every 20 minutes and you can come and off the field quite a bit - that AFL would be right up there. Heat rates of players are constantly at 180-200, you sprint so much, a lot more than in soccer, rugby and tennis. On top of that you get tackled and tackle a lot, and the tackling is a lot tougher than in soccer. Plus these players are so bloody agile. Also, one of the players has apparently finished the beep test (dunno if that's humanly possible though?)

Here's a clip of some big bumps, tackles and stufffff.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=koY5wzdRwwg"]YouTube - AFL - Marks, Goals, Bumps, Tackles[/ame]

Plus the injuries :p

slide13xu.jpg

So what do you think is the most physically demanding sport?

Re: What is the most physically demanding sport?

I guess you can look at it in different ways. F1 guys are very fit and face numerous forces during a race.

I have no idea how to play AFL so I can't relate to that. Isn't it something to do with kicking a ball through some posts?

I would say rugby off the top of my head. Marathan/triathlon only tests cardiovascular fitness, does it not?

thats not physically demanding more pure stupidity!

although it looks fun. where is the famous one?

Im going to have to go with AFL. Kids tear tendons and break bones even as 10 year olds (my friend did both). Rugby has to get a meantion. Charging straight into a bunch of massive guys is going to hurt after a while.
Oh and that cheese rolling looks quite fun :D

mas cambios said:
Cooper's Hill in Brockworth, Gloucestershire. Trust me, that hill is steep!

I've rolled down steeper.

Well not really rolled, more faceplanted.

At camp, everyone was running down this massive, really steep hill. I ran down it, I was about to fall on my ass, so I grabbed my mate who had just fallen over, that stopped me falling on my ass but it made me lean forward which sent me face planting into mud for like 20 seconds. Then I got to my feet but I was still running super fast, and guess what happened? I face planted again. My face went fully black, I had a heap of dirt in my eye sockets, not to mention massive cuts on my chest and my top ruined :D

2 people got taken to hospital from that hill. One got a sprained ankle the other sprained wrist and another guy had a massive cut right near his eye, it looked really bad. The girl who got a sprained ankle is still on crutches, like 8 weeks after the camp. We all reckon she's faking soooooo much.

But yeh, fun. I should of got a picture of that hill :D :D

I really meant ball sport btw.

Yeh Jimmy, I have to go with you on this, AFL is bloody tough. I can't beleive no one has commented on Nathan Browns injury!

Also has anyone heard of about that synthetic knee reconstruction or something? Nick Malecheski got it done and was back playing in 80 days, rather than the normal 5-6 months in the AFL.

Yeah, thats pretty amazing. There is also that German doctor, Hans something, fixed Max Rookes hamstring really quick. Another bloke in the AFL is going to see him, can't remember his name though.

Straying off topic once more, I don't know if I'd rather the cheese or £10 for second :laugh:. Of course the chance to say you won is the main prize!

In terms of ball sports (going back on topic), I've always thought that Rugby League required a fair bit of fitness. Those guys are massive, yet can sprint like nobodies business. It also seems to be a pretty quick game, with little chance for respite.

wouldn't know with ball sports to be honest but has anyone thought of Boxing? Try boxing with someone even if it's just on the arms and for a joke for 10-15 mins and see what state you're in :laugh: also like Manee said some of the F1 drivers are unbelievably fit.

jimmy33 said:
Yeah, thats pretty amazing. There is also that German doctor, Hans something, fixed Max Rookes hamstring really quick. Another bloke in the AFL is going to see him, can't remember his name though.

Mark Coughlan went to Germany I think, to fix his hamstring which he injured just after he recovered from OP.

AND LOOK AT THE PICTURE!

That has to be him. Its amazing all the revolutionary stuff that is available for sports injuries. That knee one is a prime example. Those sorts of injuries can potentially end careers, or at least seasons, but now they can be back on the playing field in a few months

I would've said Rugby Union because there aren't pauses after every tackle like in Rugby League and it's pretty physical, especially as a back row forward.

Given how often ice hockey players have to come off for a break, it must be pretty tough too.

The cheese rolling looks insane - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC5ykhXDDbo"]YouTube - Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling 2007[/ame]

Back