What Made You Decide To Be A Spin-bowler?

Discussion in 'Spin Bowling' started by someblokecalleddave, Jan 12, 2015.

Put it out there
  1. Chino#21

Chino#21 Active Member

Yeah he is an excellent example of it as well. It might be difficult to time it at first but most people can get this right without too much effort.

Kram81 likes this.
  2. boogiespinner

boogiespinner Active Member

Not a silly question at all. When I was young we did. I don't think it's anything like as common these days. Society became less tolerant of children hitting balls around without adults or properly defined spaces. It's a shame.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  3. someblokecalleddave

someblokecalleddave Well-Known Member

No it's not a daft question at all. Have a look at this image here. The smaller square-ish circle is our backyard, you can see from the cars just above how big a car is. My garden isn't much bigger than 20x 20. Have a look at this link here http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/english-suburban-gardens-can-you-play.html Yeah there are school yards, but often there are restrictions about what you can and can't do in them (H&S) and cricket just isn't encouraged. Parks, yeah there's a load of them for the most part. But rarely with free to use cricket facilities and there is this working class/footballer kind of thing where people that don't have any contact with cricket assume it's a middle class thing.[​IMG]

Kram81 likes this.
  4. boogiespinner

boogiespinner Active Member

I think the danger with youngsters and spin bowling is the pressure that comes with net practice against batsmen. No-one suggested to me that I do anything else, but it is a dangerous way to kindle a developing talent. When young I could rip the ball but do little else. After bowling tennis balls as a child to Brearley and doubtless impressing him, spinning both ways, he invited me to a net with his son. A great honour, but I could not repeat the feat with a cricket ball over 22 yards. I was embarrassed, and felt I couldn't do the thing. If only someone had said, there's potential there, here's how you bowl seam up, meanwhile practice your spin over short distances.

5. Kram81

Kram81 Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave, thought it might be a bit like that, at least you and your boys have quite a nice spot at the end of the street to have a hit though.

Backyard cricket is a massive part of Australian culture. Growing up I reckon we would have spent at least an hour a day in summer either playing at home on a 1/4 acre bloke where we lived in the country, the school oval with nets at lunch time and on occasion with pads, gloves and a proper cricket ball down at the sports oval nets. Only started playing 'proper' games on Saturdays at age 14, but pretty much went as good as anyone else almost straight away having picked up most of the basics of just mucking around mates. Only really wrong or bad habit it gave us was kind of bowling off the wrong foot..

I think though that the compact type of living you have in the UK needs to really start happening a lot more over in our cities, new outer Perth suburban blocks at a guess are probably something like only 1/8th of an acre now, but even at that size imo urban 'sprawl' is getting out of hand and will cause a lot of problems in the future.

edit - at 16 we also one summer built a sort of mini set of nets in the backyard with a strip of old carpet for a pitch, usually just playing with indoor balls we had a lot of fun practicing with that.

someblokecalleddave likes this.
  6. leftie600

leftie600 Active Member

I always tell the young spinners, don't worry about the bad balls, try and make the batsman (usually their mate) look like a dick and get him out...that's usually enough to get them interested in spin.

7. someblokecalleddave

I'm going to look at Merridin now! I think I've looked before, as I recall it's fairly near the mining areas in WA? I think the only place in the UK that looks like some places in Australia would be Dungeness in Kent, which I think is described as our only desert. Still couldn't get a game of cricket going there though, unless it was on the beach further up the coast at Camber Sands.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  8. Kram81

Kram81 Well-Known Member

It's mainly wheat farming, mining starts about 50+ km east. It's a bit of a dump really but having lots of space and freedom to muck around in as a kid was one of the few good things. On BY cricket, it was when I was living in Perth but a few years back but some Merredin kids fortunate to live right next to a vacant lot made themselves a little cricket setup on it. They actually won a competition as being one of the best with the prize of Adam Gilchrist coming out for the afternoon and playing a few games with them, not bad!

9. someblokecalleddave

Nothing like that here, I just looked at this... http://users.tpg.com.au/dandsc/op/op35.htm it kind of encapsulates the whole Australian cricket ethos. I love those Youtube vids with the backyard cricket, some of my favourite youtube vids and the inspiration for me to go out with my mower and start cutting wickets all over the local area! and Trav Keys backyard cricket vids with all his mates, mainly because they're that much older and still loving it... The idea that any of the England players or even Essex players would come along and have a look at my set up and have a knock about like the Gilchrist story, is as likely as someone finding an settlement of advanced beings on Mars! Instead I have locals abusing me for doing it for the most part! There's a very different perspective on cricket here in the UK, but it's probably got a regional aspect to it, from my limited experience it does seem as though cricket is seen and approached in a different way in the Midlands. There may also be a rural v suburban aspect to it? I had a look at the Manly cricket club website a few weeks ago in Sydney and noticed the extent that they try and be part of the local community. That idea with the regards to the clubs I've played with and play against would appear to be a no-goer. I guess the weather works against us too?

10. Shivam_ipl

Shivam_ipl Member

1. (a). Always bowled spin from the moment you picked the ball up.
      i bowl with both arms wrist spin. and my natural ball from both arms was googly. so i started as a leg spinner

11. someblokecalleddave

Fully ambidextrous?

12. dhump

dhump New Member

(c) Use to bowl military medium but with my height spin is much better trade and off spin worked very fine...Also being a batsman spin is better option.

13. Robert Walker

Robert Walker New Member

I used to be a medium pacer but when my mum gave me a book on bowling with all the different types of bowling I tried all of them and leg spin worked, in my first match with leg spin I got 2 wickets and I often get loads of wickets.

14. someblokecalleddave

Nice one, where are you in the world, it doesn't say on your profile?

15. Robert Walker

Robert Walker New Member

Used to live in Luxembourg but now I live in edinburgh

16. someblokecalleddave

Are you at a club up there in Edinburgh?

17. Robert Walker

Robert Walker New Member

I have a trial next week and I play for school

18. Robert Walker

Robert Walker New Member

I play for school, and I have a trial for a club next week

19. someblokecalleddave

Nice one, keep us informed as to how you do. With the drift as CP says pitch it outside of off, try and get your captain to set an good field on the off-side for the ones that don't drift and spin it hard.

20. Robert Walker

Robert Walker New Member

Will do, I'll take the advice into account, if a high quality batsman is playing me with ease what should I do?

Put it out there