Where to play??

bevo28

Where to play??

I have mainly just joined this site to use this as a tool to potentially set up a cricket club in the Uk in 2011. Also to keep tabs on the competition that I currently play in Melbourne, Australia once I do head over.

If anyone has had a great experience playing in the UK and can recommend a club or area that they know, please get in touch. I have a lot to offer a club, as I am a top 4 bat, and bowl agressive off spin. At 28, and a PE teacher in Oz I am happy to take on a coaching role or help run the junior program at the club. I played roughly 5 years of District cricket in the 2 and 3s before settling in at a club in their ones. I spent 2008 in a Premier League south of London and the standard was below par (but great people). I want to become a part of a bigger club in a great area.

Flights are already sorted and will be arriving in March, but where, we don't know.

Would love to hear about any positive experiences from playing at a UK club and or provide a contact for me to get the ball rolling.

Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Where to play??

It really depends on what you're looking for. If you want payment then your best bet is to look for a side in one of the premier leagues that are located in each county. There will also be complications with regards to working visas and rules on paid players (especially in the lower leagues).

On the other hand, if you simply want to play a decent standard of cricket but are not too fussed about getting paid to do so, then you have more options and a degree of flexibility.

If you let me know the name of the club you played for previously in the UK it would give me an idea of the standard you require and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Sandhurst cricket club in the Berkshire Premier League was the league that I played in. Payment not crucial, as I plan to teach part time while I am over there. I will apply for the youth mobility scheme Tier 4 towards the end of the year.

Help with accommodation and for the area to have good public transport is really what i'm after. Also for the club to have players of all ages.

Thankyou for the response.

bevo28;405053 said:
Sandhurst cricket club in the Berkshire Premier League was the league that I played in.

Ok, not the worst but not the greatest either. It's hard to pitch you a level as I've never seen you play but I'll try my best.

The leagues at this link - Play-Cricket - Club Competitions are all what are termed ECB Premier Leagues in the UK. This means they play a high standard and most teams will comprise of something like the following:

County Academy players
Ex Professionals
Minor county players and the rest will be the best of the best of the local cricketers. You will also get the occasional off duty or allocated county/
2nd XI county player, depending on commitments.

Based on what you say and what you're looking to do then those leagues may be a little full on. However, each of them have (or should have) a full pyramid structure of leagues below them.

My local knowledge is mainly of the Gloucestershire, Bristol, Somerset regions in England and the South Wales area in Wales. I reckon you'd fit in well with a club playing in these leagues:

England:

West of England Premier Cricket League - Play-Cricket - Premier Two 2010 - Table

West of England Premier Cricket League - Play-Cricket - Glos/Wilts Division 2010 - Table

West of England Premier Cricket League - Play-Cricket - Bristol and NS Division 2010 - Table

West of England Premier Cricket League - Play-Cricket - Bristol and Somerset 2010 - Table

Wales:

Glamorgan & Monmouthshire Cricket League - Play-Cricket - Division One 2010 - Table

Glamorgan & Monmouthshire Cricket League - Play-Cricket - Division Two 2010 - Table

Take a club like Chepstow for example. They play a good standard in locations which generally have good facilities. Although the actual location is a small town it has great links to the M4 and you can be in Bristol in 15 minutes, Cardiff in 40 minutes, Birmingham or London in around 2 hours. Likewise, it has links to most of the main train routes and easy access to airports.

Bristol is another good place to look - plenty of clubs, good standard and plenty to do. I think BigCricket - View Profile: beached as has been playing in that area for a club called Rockhampton (you'll find it in the Glos/Wilts link above). It would be worth dropping him a pm to see what he has to say about the standard.

If you do decide on this area then I may be able to give you some contacts.

Back