Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

someblokecalleddave

Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

I've just watched the clips on the sky website, we know that's it for Flintoff, Harmison on Sky seemed unsure about his future prospects who from this team will survive the next 18 months or so? Who too is in the background waiting to make their move - Rashid?

What of Bell, Panesar and Collingwood they didn't make much of an impact are they likely to fade away?

Re: Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

My Guess:

1.Strauss
2.Cook/Denly
3.Pietersen
4.Bopara
5.Bell/Trott
6.Prior
7.Broad
8.Rashid
9. Swann (Spinners Wicket)/ Sidebottom (Pacemans Wicket)
10.Onions
11.Anderson

Squad:
Carberry
Moore
S.Patel
Bresnan
Plunkett / Finn

Are there any up-and-coming pacemen to challenge Onions and Anderson? Those two don't exactly inspire confidence in me when the conditions aren't very favourable to swing.

Caesar;361557 said:
Are there any up-and-coming pacemen to challenge Onions and Anderson? Those two don't exactly inspire confidence in me when the conditions aren't very favourable to swing.

Maybe Woakes or Harris. The likes of Plunkett, Mahmood and Khan are still floating around.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;361695 said:
Pretty ordinary looking team, might throw a bit more money on England getting belted 5-0 next year.

Good enough....

Good enough? Your not serious are you?

Anderson is a pie thrower, Broad is a equally prone to serving pies. Swann wont get a wicket in Australia, traditional offies never do.

England really are deluded if they think that attack is even approaching being able to take 20 wickets outside of England.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;361704 said:
England really are deluded if they think that attack is even approaching being able to take 20 wickets outside of England.

Time will tell, lets get the series in South Africa out of the way and see what happens. England have arguably the tougher schedule ahead, which may just give them an edge they don't have at the moment.

Tougher scheldule?

They play South Africa this Nov/Dec/Jan. After that they play Bangladesh and the West Indies before they play us again.

In that time we play Pak (Home) and Pak (away - neutral) and the West Indies and New Zealand.

Pakistan will not be easybeats, either at home or away, they have some decent players who can turn it on.

New Zealand are never easy at home either, in 2005 when we last played them away from home they racked up a couple of scores over 400 against us batting first.

England and South Africa for me will determine who will win the next ashes series. If Englands bowlers struggle in South Africa, then I think they will struggle in Australia.

Most of their bowlers averaged oaver 40 with the ball in the Ashes, Broad only bowled, lets face it, one decent spell of 5 overs that absolutely destroyed us. Anderson was the same, he bowled one decent spell when conditions were well and truly in his favour.

I always felt we got a bit lucky against SA, but we made the most of the luck and thats what you have to do. We got smashed in the 3rd test so maybe SA needed a game or two to find their groove.

England really have an awful record away from home, South Africa will also reveal what structure they use in their lineup now Freddie has retired.

Until the last two tests, I didn't know what you guys saw in Broad. His bowling was terrible, and his batting was only handy at most.

The last two Ashes tests he really stepped it up I think and deserves to take the mantle off Flintoff! ;)

However, I'm not sure if the bowling cattle around him will be good enough in Australia for the next series, if its not swinging.

The ball doesn't generally swing in Australia conventionally, unless conditions are suited. Normally the Brisbane deck may be like that if rain is around, but other then that, most of the other grounds are places where the only swing you will get is reverse.

To take wickets in Australia you need to have bounce and accuracy. As I said, you can get reverse, I remember in 03/04 Pathan bowling Gilchrist with a vicious reverse swinging yorker that still lives deep in the memory. Whatever happened to that guy?

Thats gold trying to make Pakistan, New Zealand and the West Indies sound like a tough year ahead :D

Although I suppose Pakistan in England will be tough, Australia cant play in English conditions :D

If Australia lose a test at home this summer or in New Zealand then they shouldnt even bother showing up next year, they will lose 5-0

As for Englands team, as long as Bopara and Anderson are not in it then we will be fine

Strauss, Cook, KP, Trott, Colly, , Prior, Broad, Swann, Sidebottom, Onions

Got a year to find another batsman

HAHAH

Broad.

To think the poms are going to play him at seven, the guy was about to get dropped after the 4th test and now all of a sudden is the messiah with the ball in hand.

THe guy will get spanked to every corner of South Africa in the test series, i willing to bet all the XXXX's I can drink that between them Broad and Anderson don't take more then 15 wickets in 4 test matchs in South Africa.

The two "mastiffs", as some tea drinking journo called them a few months back.

Outside of England you'd struggle to find two bigger pie chuckers opening the bowling.

eddiesmith;365947 said:
Thats gold trying to make Pakistan, New Zealand and the West Indies sound like a tough year ahead :D

Although I suppose Pakistan in England will be tough, Australia cant play in English conditions :D

If Australia lose a test at home this summer or in New Zealand then they shouldnt even bother showing up next year, they will lose 5-0

As for Englands team, as long as Bopara and Anderson are not in it then we will be fine

Strauss, Cook, KP, Trott, Colly, , Prior, Broad, Swann, Sidebottom, Onions

Got a year to find another batsman
I wonder how many ex-pat South Africans with an English passport are left in the County Cricket competition, or have they all been called up to the English side? :D

eddiesmith;365947 said:
How can you not want Anderson in your team? the guy has been our most consistent bowler for a good 12-15 months now. Sure he can still be inconsistent but i think he has matured as a cricketer and has become a vital cog in the England machine. Name me another bowler who could do better than him? and don't say Sidebottom because he is more one dimensional than Anderson.

As for the England side for the Ashes, it could be entirely different to be honest. I think the likes of Colly and Bell are living on borrowed time and if they dont perform in this SA series then they could be out of this side. As for replacements there are a few guys in county cricket that i think could be given a shot. Carberry has improved no end as a cricketer and i think is not to far away from a place in the England side. Then i think Moore and Denly could be given a chance in the upcoming Test series in Bangladesh if a few players have a rest. It would be doubtful if England would plump for a young gun in county cricket between now and the Ashes but if they did Alex Hales and James Taylor will surely be front of the queue. They are both quality young players and most importantly they are English born!

As for the bowling, the lack of fast bowlers coming through in this country is quite worrying. You look around the county scene at the moment and you struggle to see any genuine fast bowlers in the 85-90mph bracket. You have Woakes who is more of a line bowler, Harris who is talented but perhaps doesn't have the pace yet. One guy that truly interests me is Stuart Meaker of Surrey, the guy has pace to burn and has the ability to be very good but hasn't really broke through yet but maybe next year could be his year. Steven Finn and Jade Dernbach are decent prospects i guess.

Anyone think Simon Jones will make a comeback for the England side in the future or do you think his England career is over even though he could probably be back playing county cricket next year with Hampshire?

Surely all those new names most of which I've never heard of are unlikely to get in the team? I can see that Bell might not be there despite he's current performance in SA (He should be excluded because of his haircut alone). The offie point is interesting - what's the score there - why are Offies inneffective in Australia?

Im not sure why offies outside of Australia struggle in Australia, Murali averages 100 per a wicket here, while Singh and Kumble also have poor records here. Wrist spinners generally are more suited to Australian surfaces.

Still Swann is England's best bowler from what I have seen, his a consistent wicket taker, even though Australia won't engage England until the end of the year behind the scenes planning will be taking place already.

If England are going to play 4 bowlers, which it looks like they will because apart from SA I don't see anything in England's fixture list that will challenge them enough to rethink the 4 bowlers policy. That might change however if some the Australian domestic sides give England the run around in the warm up matches.

If you can hit Swann out of the attack then England have to fall back on 3 seamers who are honest bowlers but perhaps not ideally suited to Australian conditions especially the hard wickets, Onions, Anderson and Broad are all stick thin and not strongly built, often the hard wickets are a shock on the joints and feet if you have never played on them before so going in with 4 bowlers may be risky.

There is no doubt that Australia will look to attack Swann to try and get Strauss to fall back on his seamers.

Caesar;361557 said:

Steven Finn from middlesex could be an outside bet

Back