Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

Re: Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385938 said:
Never seen Broad move the ball off the straight under clear skies. Won't last the series.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385959 said:
I meant his body won't hold up on the hard Australian wickets.

Come LtD. Enough is enough with your english bashing.

Broad has been really quiet impressive and really only Watson and Dougie managed to consistantly move the ball this summer and it wasn't an overally impressive site.

Hopefully the english will come out here, get some proper practice under their belt and have a better crack then last time.

Time for some teams to notice that to play in Australia and win they need quite some matches beforehand to get used to the playing conditions. What were India thinking by turning up one week before the game, playing a half hearted domestic game where they were thrashed and then playing against what was then the best team in the world (last India touring series) for example.

England normally do this alright, but they didn't in 2006/07 and paid the price. They need a good couple of matches against some good sides at more than one ground.

Hopefully CA put them up down in Hobart or Adelaide on some low slow tracks about as far away from the bouncy conditions at the Gabba as possible.

Don't domestic clubs offer to host them quite often, so it's not all to do with CA itself?

Not quite sure how it works, just remember some state and county teams offering to play the respective tourer if they have some time off or a game is cancelled or washed out.

Victoria is due to play a tour game again next year, everyone else has played one since the Vics last, although the Champions League may mean neither Victoria or SA are available

Will likely get atleast one in QLD with one against WA before the Perth test, so either NSW and Tassie host the other 2 or they might bring back Australia A

Couldnt they play at a smaller venue in Queensland? perhaps a reserve venue, or where the 2nd XI play they're games?

I remember in 05, Australia played at chelmsford against essex - by no means a test ground. was incidently the place where cook caught the attention of selectors

Yeah but the bounce and characteristics of the Gabba wicket won't be replicated in a surburban ground - indeed CA will probably instruct curators at the warm up grounds to prepare slow, low decks.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386293 said:
Yeah but the bounce and characteristics of the Gabba wicket won't be replicated in a surburban ground - indeed CA will probably instruct curators at the warm up grounds to prepare slow, low decks.

Cheating much?

I want to see a contest, give them a pitch that is similar to Brisbane and get them to have a proper crack from day 1.

Allan Border field is quite bowler friendly, moreso than the Gabba. If they play there it's a test for the batsmen to get some good scores, would play there to help with batting selections.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386293 said:
So they can get a good feel for Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide? Then with a warmup in Perth they will be right for 4 tests and dont need to know the GABBA conditions, just bat first unless its been hit by their weekly storm the night before

D.K;386299 said:
Cheating much?

I want to see a contest, give them a pitch that is similar to Brisbane and get them to have a proper crack from day 1.

I don't want to see a contest, I want to see Australia win, whether by 500 runs or 1 run, it doesn't worry me at all. I think most Australians who follow cricket would think the same. Im quite happy for pitch doctoring, gamesmanship with tour game fixturing, state sides batting for days one end, whatever.

I presume you remember the Oval match and the blatant pitch doctoring that went into that strip, from that moment on all bets are off with regards to being welcoming guests and I think that is fair enough. If your going to play the game you better know the rules.

I said some time ago that what goes around comes around, we have already seen a small example of that with regards to South Africa producing a lively 4th test wicket.

I think we are well within our rights to make it as hard as possible for England, an Australian tour is already hard enough for English teams as it is, it brings everyone out of the woodwork and the abuse and ridicule the team gets is second to none.

We might as well make it harder for them, lets prepare slow, low roads for the English in the tour games. Then the state teams can win the toss and bat for days on end keeping England in the field.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386320 said:
I presume you remember the Oval match and the blatant pitch doctoring that went into that strip, from that moment on all bets are off with regards to being welcoming guests and I think that is fair enough. If your going to play the game you better know the rules.

hurf durf give it a rest

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386320 said:
I don't want to see a contest, I want to see Australia win, whether by 500 runs or 1 run, it doesn't worry me at all. I think most Australians who follow cricket would think the same. Im quite happy for pitch doctoring, gamesmanship with tour game fixturing, state sides batting for days one end, whatever.

I said some time ago that what goes around comes around, we have already seen a small example of that with regards to South Africa producing a lively 4th test wicket.

I think we are well within our rights to make it as hard as possible for England, an Australian tour is already hard enough for English teams as it is, it brings everyone out of the woodwork and the abuse and ridicule the team gets is second to none.

We might as well make it harder for them, lets prepare slow, low roads for the English in the tour games. Then the state teams can win the toss and bat for days on end keeping England in the field.

Two wrongs don't make a right though, and fair play is always the way to go, no matter the situation.

Why give them the chance to make excuses for their loss by picking out those sorts of details. Australia already has an 'arrogance' problem (which I don't think is true, but that is a popularity opinion that) so by employing those sorts of tactics only furthers that. Is it better to win fair and square than have them saying that it wasn't a fair series and using every excuse musterable, from either side that is.

Look, I don't think the curators will doctor the wickets for the warm up games, but I don't think the poms will be getting a pre-game hit on the Gabba until the first test.

Australia doesn't have an arrogrance problem, I've said this time and time again. Rather other countries see our excellence over a long period of time and try and devalue that by any means possible.

It's just like when Simon Jones hurled that ball at Matty Hayden, I thought it was great, Simon Jones hurled the ball at Hayden most likely becaus it made him look tough, Hayden rightly gave him a gob full. The media got stuck into Hayden because he didn't accept Jone's token apology. Simon Jones was described as 'brave'.

If McGrath or Lee had done that all hell would have broken lose.

It is a nice example of the double standards that exist when judging cricketers, we all see it in Roebuck's articles all the time.

Let's keep the talk in this thread about the England cricket team. I don't want to hear about the Australian side or anything else in this thread.

I certainly don't think either England or Australia are at the same level they were a few years ago, although the current England team seem to have a happy knack of just doing enough.

I'd say on paper England's batsman have the edge over Australia, although that depends on several of our players getting out of the rut they seem to be in at the moment of getting out playing daft shots. I don't know if Trott was a flash in the pan or genuinely has what it takes, but Cook, Strauss, Pietersen, Collingwood and Prior are all very, very useful batsmen on their day and Bell's not to be ignored either.

As for bowlers it seems you can count on Broad to provide one match-winning performance a series, but he needs to be doing that more consistently. Swann is regarded by many as the spinner playing best in the world at the moment, and I think he can be counted on to be a very useful strike bowler, but the rest of our bowling attack is a bit hit and miss. I really don't think Sidebottom is the answer I'm afraid, even if you can count on maximum effort from him, and Anderson just seems to me to be a bit too fragile somehow. Onions is steady enough but I don't regard him as a match-winner proper.

Also I can't help but think that an injury or some other event will allow an outsider to come into the team at some point and I think a lot rests on the performance of this mystery player. I don't know who it would be but I get a feeling someone's going to get their chance. I would love to think Simon Jones could come back, and if he was at or near his 2005 reverse-swinging best I'd back us to win the series on that basis alone, but it's not exactly likely sadly.

Anyway, we'll get all the answers we need quite soon enough!

Unfortunatley Englands bowling stocks are pretty bare - your not gonna have a situation like in SA where you have de Wet, Parnell, McLaren and Tsobte (sp?) jostling for a spot, or Aus with Harris

England have bowlers, but i really cant see anyone who ISN'T in the test set up who's pushing for a place

Spiderlounge;387199 said:
I certainly don't think either England or Australia are at the same level they were a few years ago, although the current England team seem to have a happy knack of just doing enough.

I'd say on paper England's batsman have the edge over Australia, although that depends on several of our players getting out of the rut they seem to be in at the moment of getting out playing daft shots. I don't know if Trott was a flash in the pan or genuinely has what it takes, but Cook, Strauss, Pietersen, Collingwood and Prior are all very, very useful batsmen on their day and Bell's not to be ignored either.

As for bowlers it seems you can count on Broad to provide one match-winning performance a series, but he needs to be doing that more consistently. Swann is regarded by many as the spinner playing best in the world at the moment, and I think he can be counted on to be a very useful strike bowler, but the rest of our bowling attack is a bit hit and miss. I really don't think Sidebottom is the answer I'm afraid, even if you can count on maximum effort from him, and Anderson just seems to me to be a bit too fragile somehow. Onions is steady enough but I don't regard him as a match-winner proper.

Also I can't help but think that an injury or some other event will allow an outsider to come into the team at some point and I think a lot rests on the performance of this mystery player. I don't know who it would be but I get a feeling someone's going to get their chance. I would love to think Simon Jones could come back, and if he was at or near his 2005 reverse-swinging best I'd back us to win the series on that basis alone, but it's not exactly likely sadly.

Anyway, we'll get all the answers we need quite soon enough!

Im not sure if I agree with the notion that England has a better batting line up on paper. Possibly , and even then I could argue very strongly, that may be the case in England on slower, spongy wickets but in Australia there is still question marks over Strauss, Cook, Bell and Collingwood.

The wickets here in Australia (bar Adelaide) have all had good carry this summer with the keeper often taking the ball when it is still on the rise :eek: which is a nice (from an Australian point of view) change from what I saw last Ashes in England and I have no doubt that will be to Australia's advantage.

Australia also has a genuine 4th seamer in Shane Watson which IMO will be the sealer. I just doubt England's ability to take 20 wickets out here with their current attack.

Watson wasn't fit to bowl last Ashes series, but he has improved greatly.

Also, the aura of an Australian tour looms large over any English touring party, you just wonder how the likes of Broad, Swann, Onions and Anderson will deal with that - especially Anderson after his pathetic showing in 2006/07.

Back