Wicket Keeping Coaching

Re: Wicket Keeping Coaching

we were working on my leg side catching, trigger movements for leg side takes and glove positioning.

Hes going to be doing some coaching for our club and schools partnership. and a few games with us so i'm looking forward to his help!

Top Bloke!

Just a curiousity question, Are wicket keepers natural players, What i mean is are all wicket keepers are natural at what they do or can anyone with alot of practice,training,coaching become a wicket keeper, not that i want to become one, Just to expand my knowledge on different skills in cricket.

I think anyone who can catch can learn to become a keeper.

That said, it takes a lot of dedication and practice to master the skills. Standing up especially. You can never practice leg side work enough but at club level it's nigh on impossible to get decent practice standing up.

It also takes a certain mindset. You have to be a bit mental to want to do 300-500 bodyweight squats in a day, risk broken and bruised fingers, throw yourself around, scrabble for bad throws and half volleys down the leg side, and be the team cheerleader even when the opposition are 250-1!

Ask most keepers and they will tell you they love the challenge of it but it's not for everyone.

ive been wicketkeeping for a season now after the old keeper couldnt do it because it wrecked his knees. you dont feel the squats because you get 1 minute minimum before you have to do the next one

Stumped;346001 said:
we were working on my leg side catching, trigger movements for leg side takes and glove positioning.

Hes going to be doing some coaching for our club and schools partnership. and a few games with us so i'm looking forward to his help!

Top Bloke!

What were the drills for improving legside catching, especially while standing up? I'm primarily a very good fielder at slips/gully/point taking up the gloves now and then, as the reserve. As expected, Keeping to pace bowlers is much easier but spinners tend to be a little troublesome. So, I'd appreciate it greatly if you can pass on a few tips.

I also have taken up the gloves in my team after our regular keeper has been on leave. I was the premier off-spinner at my club and have been the leading wicket taker for my league. However my keeping is exceptional and much better than the old keeper. I also enjoy keeping much more than bowling! What can I do to improve my keeping to spinners and slow medium pacers when standing up? Anyone got any good drills?

Back