Wings to Fly Part 3 DV

someblokecalleddave

Wings to Fly Part 3 DV

Remember this? I thought I'd managed to get my hands on a copy about a year and half ago but it never came off. I might just chase it up again or at least ask the bloke why he didn't part with it in the end? This DVD is rarer than the Grimmett books! Has anyone ever watched it and is it worth pursuing and paying money for?

Wings to Fly Part 3 DVD

Re: Wings to Fly Part 3 DV

Generally the Wings to Fly stuff is pretty good. I normally find they have the latest ideas and give more than adequate demonstrations of techniques.

For £7 I'd say it's worth getting. Certainly better than the one going for £30 on Amazon. Then again the £6.50 postage is a little steep.

They are still available from ECBCA as I got a replacement last month for one that I lent to a player when I was with my previous club and somehow never got back :( As mc says the £6.50 postage is a bit steep, hence I waited until I built up an order before getting just the dvd but from memory the spin one is one of the better ones - not a big fan of this years format.

I'm under the impression that you can only buy the video if you're a paid up member/coach affilated to the ECB, is that not the case?

someblokecalleddave;405920 said:
I'm under the impression that you can only buy the video if you're a paid up member/coach affilated to the ECB, is that not the case?

Don't think that is the case. I've ordered from that site before and don't think I've been asked for any membership number etc.

Sorry, that may well be the case - I am so hence didn't consider that (mc - I think I was asked for my membership no when ordering but not sure if that was just to pull up my address etc more quickly)

OK so I have got off the keyboard and got the case out - the leg spin section is done by Terry Jenner, who to me is a bit of an acquired taste (not being an outstanding player I don't warm easily to the 'look at me and do what I do' type of coach but don't let my personal prejudice put you off), the sections are titled:
5.1 Grooving Good Habits
5.2 The Five Deliveries
5.3 One to One Coaching
5.4 TJ's 'box of tricks'

Bit late in the day, from memory the variations are handled well but will go through the section tomorrow and post a more measured opinion. If you are wondering what else is on the dvd there are sections on group sessions, wicket keeping, batting drills, finger spin (boo!), close catching and then Graham Thorpe's tips

You are right, a membership is needed:

If you are an ECB Coaches Association Member please complete the Registration Form below and click Register.

Please do not Register unless you are a fully paid up Member of the ECB Coaches Association as your registration will checked against the ECB Coaches Association database and become invalid if not verified. Orders will not be processed if your registration is not validated.

I don't mind ordering it for you, although would need to sort the money out somehow.

Managed to go through the wrist spin section with breakfast. Terry Jenner was not as bad as I remembered and its always a thin line between confidence/self belief and arrogance/cockiness. The section is primarily aimed at coaches so lots of 'this is what you should encourage your players to do' type stuff with the inference that you will be mainly coaching youth players.

My take on the sections is:
5.1 Grooving Good Habits - OK - in summary until they have a good leg break dont bother with anything else
5.2 The Five Deliveries - really good explanation and demonstrations (just from hand to hand and then clip of Warne in action bowling said ball) of leg break, flipper, googly, backspinner and slider
5.3 One to One Coaching - clip of the sort of things that he would work on with youth players (bowling from base to eliminate problems with run up / looking at follow through / etc). Lots of good coaching points, some of which are leg break specific, some just general bowling points
5.4 TJ's 'box of tricks' - I watched the whole section through and I guess this was the bit I didnt really take to last time I watched - Jenner 'demonstrating' he can bowl all five variations. No real value for me as a coach and I would prefer they had expanded section 5.3 but that could be a criticism levelled at many of the Wings to Fly series in that they tend to be a catch all and you have to pick out the bits that interest / are of value to you personally

Hope this helps, I would say its useful for a 'generalist' coach who has a leggie turn up giving him some bits to work with but how useful it would be to someone who is as 'established' as yourself and with the support network on here I am not so sure. That said its not too expensive (if you can ignore the postage) and its sometimes good to have a review of the basics

Cheers Tony, I'm always looking for coaching tips and as you say the section at 5.3 sounds like it may be the bit that may be of some use to me. I'll have to have a ponder, might be good for my kids to watch though as they never seem to want to listen to me!

Back