Winter training

Re: Winter training

I agree that the nets are a poor substitute for the real thing (especially a damp April\May) but there aren't that many other options.

Like most aspects of training they have their place as long as people understand the limitations.

Re: Winter training

Winter training is aimed at those that want to excel and as part of goal setting, you have to give yourself the best opportunity to enjoy cricket. Get fitter, you play better and enjoy it more.

I start winter training in Jan with CV work (3 times a weeks) and indoor nets (once a week) just hitting the cobwebs away. Then in Feb I progress onto CV & strength (twice a week) work and specific work on shot weakness with the bowling machine (twice a week).

My club side Devizes indoor club nets start late Feb for 4 weeks, these are really a time to have a hit against new bowlers and check regular players for selection consideration. I would do these on top of CV/Strength/Bowling machine nets during the week.

I've been doing winter training for about 4 years now, starting with Jan nets and now built up to the whole hog. 2 seasons have been great, last year not so great, but didn't give myself any direction last year.

Whilst winter training working on fitness.cricket specific skills are great. You also need to work on other aspects of your game. Relaxation, goal-setting and development must also be covered for allround preparation in having a great season.

Back