Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Discussion in 'Spin Bowling' started by Richard the Third, Feb 19, 2011.

Put it out there
  1. boogiespinner

boogiespinner Active Member

You can always practice inclined pressups - i.e against a wall, or chair / bench, the higher your hands are the easier it is. You can do these until comfortable on the floor.

2. boogiespinner

boogiespinner Active Member

Just reading your blog Dave, I'm reminded of some early commentary on Warne from Benaud. I couldn't possibly say exactly when but I distinctly remember Benaud exclaiming that Warne would 'spin it on glass' and more importantly that he wished he'd known about Warne's loose grip on the ball when he was bowling, because he gripped the ball tightly simply through a belief that it was preferable at the time.

3. someblokecalleddave

someblokecalleddave Well-Known Member

That's interesting, I'll add that now!

4. shahidpak

shahidpak Active Member

Not accusing you of being a show off, but when you narrate your bowling it seems like you bowl amazingly well.... Or maybe its because im very bad lol

5. someblokecalleddave

Did you have any assistance from the wind with your drift? I've just been watching the NZ v Sri Lanka highlights and the bloke bowling spin there was getting the ball to drift but they were all saying he was getting a lot of assistance from the wind.

6. someblokecalleddave

No it's good to hear! I think you mentioning it in the context of the fact that you also went for 89 off of 7 for one wicket recently just goes to show that form and consistency is fickle.

7. someblokecalleddave

Shaidpak, you'll have your day mate, just hang in there and keep flicking the ball and bowling!

8. shahidpak

shahidpak Active Member

Well we dont have a lot of matches so i dont have a lot of chances to bowl, i only bowled 19 overs this season, my best day is my worst one as well got 3wickets for bowling double bouncers and full tosses, i will have to move to the UK to get more overs :p, which may happen :(

9. someblokecalleddave

Yeah if you move here you'll get loads of cricket! Is this a family move or just you coming to study?

10. someblokecalleddave

What's it called - has it got brand name?

11. shahidpak

shahidpak Active Member

Its a half family move, my older brother and my father are staying here and i might move this month, but im not moving specially for cricket :p, my father always wanted us to move to England..

12. someblokecalleddave

Do you know where you moving to - what area or region?

13. someblokecalleddave

I've just looked at some video footage of my bowling which I shot a couple of days ago indoors and noticed something I was aware of as people had mentioned it to me (My sons) but wasn't that fussed about. But now having seen it I'm thinking - I need to address that. Most of the bowling action looks fine, but the landing foot out of the bound, doesn't come past the pivot foot with any energy. I know back in the day Macca noticed this and said that I needed to kick the back foot up high - almost to the point where it touches my bum, at the moment it barely getting off the ground as it comes through. In terms of the bowling action being a whole body affair, this aspect looks to be very wrong.

14. shahidpak

shahidpak Active Member

Im moving to Uxbridge hillingdon, west london

15. someblokecalleddave

Plenty of cricket it that area, the other side of London to me though so we'll never meet in a match!

shahidpak likes this.
  16. someblokecalleddave

Yeah you may well be right, but it's the kind of thing I'd explore and look at - wouldn't get too hung up on it though and if it didn't bring results relatively quickly I'd probably revert back to what I'm currently doing. I might copy the clip and up-load it.

17. Cleanprophet

Cleanprophet Active Member

We have a bowler at our club who is in the 130-135 kph range. He's quite wirey, has a very nice action and carries plenty of pace into the crease in his run up.

I bowl a bit of seam in the nets from time to time. It's mostly to give the batters something else to bat against. But I do work a little to try and bowl with as much pace as I can. My run up to the crease is not quick at all. I may try to get a bit more pace into the run up. For now, I'm just focusing on body position at the crease and release.

A few things I wasn't doing and am now doing or trying to do:

1) Pull the left arm into my body to help speed through the crease

2) Ensure the fingers come down the back of the ball and really drag down the back of the ball (I used to slide down the side like a cutter - without realising it)

3) Try to get my bowling arm over the top of my standing leg

All pretty basic things but important things for bowling seam and the sort of things people tend to get wrong. I probably bowl about 115k to 120k at the quickest. I'm sure I could get it to 125k-130k with just better technique.

18. shahidpak

shahidpak Active Member

120 k is very fast how can you be sûre that you bowl that speed, and the bloke who bowls 130, how did he achieve that? I somtimes sée skinny fast bowlers bowling 140 k on TV like junaid khan..

19. shahidpak

shahidpak Active Member

The problem now is that idont think im going to get a place at school quickly which will be very annoying + my housse there is being renovated....

20. leftie600

leftie600 Active Member

At the end of the day the really fast bowlers (those that bowl consistently above 140) were born with the fast twitch fibers that give them the potential to bowl fast and/or throw a ball a long way. The rest is hard work and, as Chino#21 has highlighted, good fundamentals in the bowling action.

Also as Chino#21 has stated, anyone who is fit, able and in the prime of their life can train to bowl in the 130s.

At a club level 130+ is noticeably fast whereas your average top grade club 'fast' bowler is probably only bowling 120-125, at lower grades even less.

One thing you notice as you progress up the grades is how slow the grades are that you left behind.

shahidpak likes this.
Put it out there