Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Discussion in 'Spin Bowling' started by Richard the Third, Feb 19, 2011.

Put it out there
  1. Cleanprophet

Cleanprophet Active Member

Yeah, some interesting deliveries there. Warne's googly often tended to be loopier and slower (probably why he didn't bother with - along with the fact that his leggies were so good that he didn't need the googly).

For anyone who's interested (probably not Spen!), I've slowed down that video of my bowling by x4:

someblokecalleddave likes this.
  2. shahidpak

shahidpak Active Member

Hey, its been a long time,
    So ive moved to west london ,was sad but excited, especially fort cricket and i entre the School, declare that im french and everybody asks me "Do your like football?" i was like what the f .. Everybidy in the playground plays football and i SEE that lonely wicket surrounded by people playing football.....im joining a cricket club .. Uxbridge CC thursday..

someblokecalleddave likes this.
  3. leftie600

leftie600 Active Member

Suggest you go through the day highlights of each match he has played, no decent compilation of Yasir exists yet:

4. Cleanprophet

I've never looked for a Yasir compilation, but I'm sure there will be a few about once he has played a few more games. I watched a lot of the live coverage of him bowling in the UAE. There was plenty of focus on his action then, so you could see how he bowls his googly. Someone will have access to that footage.

5. Spin King23

Spin King23 Member

6. someblokecalleddave

someblokecalleddave Well-Known Member

Nice one mate welcome to England, you and all your family, I hope like so many of our immigrant brothers you go on to make a valuable contribution to this country...Live well and prosper! (And take loads of wickets this summer)!

7. someblokecalleddave

Nice work there! I didn't look at this too much a couple of days ago, put off by how cold it looks, but that's a nice delivery!

Cleanprophet likes this.
  8. someblokecalleddave

Sounds like a good spell to me, I'd be more than happy with that! I like the fact that you got the bat coming forward bit by bit. Not sure I can consistently make those changes in length so subtly, that it'd work.

9. someblokecalleddave

Watching Chino's vid of Warne, it struck me that I never have the opportunity to bowl on a wicket that messed up, when we arrive the pitch is all prepped and ready and rarely gets to the point where it's that worn away and unforgiving if the ball lands in it. I'd happily bowl at lefties if the conditions were like that!

10. Cleanprophet

I don't know about you, but the biggest problem I find with club pitches is that they are often very slow. I play a lot of friendly games and usually play on a wicket that was used the day before. As a result, it's not uncommon to turn up and find a pitch that offers plenty of turn (sometimes, too much turn and I end up having to try and adjust the amount of sidespin I use in my stock delivery). But I'd estimate that about 80% of the pitches I bowled on were slow. Even with an adjustment with lots of overspin, it is still quite slow. The problem you can then have on those slow turning wickets is that if you do put a lot of overspin on the ball and drop a little short, the ball really sits up to be hit. I'd really like a pitch that is very firm and offers good pace and carry, even if there is limited turn available.

11. Spin King23

Spin King23 Member

12. AngryRanga

AngryRanga Member

13. shahidpak

shahidpak Active Member

The best way i could contribute to England is by playing cricket for. England and winning the ashes lol anyway sent tofirst traininbmg , i was excited to SEE peoples level, and to be honest they werent that good.ni offense

PS: f***ing french auto correct

14. someblokecalleddave

Sounds promising! Did you get to bowl?

15. shahidpak

shahidpak Active Member

We juste bowled with a tennis bowl so no

16. someblokecalleddave

Sounds like you had a good game, where was the match, want to have a look on Google maps, I love seeing where everyone else plays!

17. someblokecalleddave

Yeah I'm like you, the longer the spell, the better it gets, but even in our 50 over games if I go for more than 5 an over, I'm looking at being taken off after 4 overs unless I've got 2 wickets in the 4! I noted the Shane Warne - moving around the crease, changing the pace and line of attack seems to work quite well as the batsman are left trying to figure out what you're doing, so that so far has bought me a good 1st over which is good and then in the 2nd over I do a couple of other things and mid way through the 2nd I start to work on the batsman a bit. I've changed the way I practice as well in the last year. I practice for shorter periods, I may just go out for 36 balls, but what I do is try and bowl well from the first ball trying to emulate a match situation where that's what the captain and your team are looking for. Seemed to work for me last year.

18. shahidpak

shahidpak Active Member

Dont know i f you can enjoy but you can bowl even if youre not in a rythm..... Mix everytthing up, your aim is to bowl dots.

19. leftie600

leftie600 Active Member

I have to say that this is one good thing T20 has done, there's no room for finding your rhythm or bowling any looseners, you have to be on from ball one.

Now that I'm older I enjoy T20, a couple of wild swings that send reasonable balls out of the park just give me something to work with (shut you down or get you out).

20. Cleanprophet

I suppose you could call it an OBS or backspinning leg break. To my mind, he is, essentially, just bowling like a seam bowler and dragging his fingers down the back of the ball. Nuwan Kulasekara is especially good at getting lots of backspin on the ball by doing exactly that. I think it is a legitimate option for a spin bowler because you can approach with a normal action/grip and just flick your wrist back.

There is a video of Warne going through some of his variations in the West Indies and he shows this very delivery, with the wrist flicking back and the fingers dragging down the back of the ball. He describes it as a backspinner and that's just what it is. However, he also says that you can't get much spin on the ball at all (compared to other deliveries - I assume is what he means). If I remember rightly, he says that it looks like you will get a lot of spin on it but you don't. It's probably why he didn't bowl it very often. I imagine Warne would get 2500-3000 rpm on his normal deliveries and this one would probably generate less than half that amount. As a result, over 16yds-17yds and at 50mph, the spin is not going to have very much effect through the air and off the pitch.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
Put it out there