Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Discussion in 'Spin Bowling' started by Richard the Third, Feb 19, 2011.

Put it out there
  1. TonyM

TonyM Member

Will try Dave. You spoke earlier about getting your back foot 'through' your delivery stride - as a guess (because they are all connected) you could look a little higher to your back hip and see what that is doing. Pitchvision have just posted an interesting article on this:
    http://www.pitchvision.com/how-to-coach-more-spin-into-spinners

2. shahidpak

shahidpak Active Member

Well Theoretically you do spin the bowl backwards when you bowl pace..... ;):D

3. Cleanprophet

Cleanprophet Active Member

You do, but not always. There is a video clip quite a few pages back that SLA posted of a baseball pitcher delivering a knuckle ball with no spin at all on the ball. A few days ago, I watched a Big Bash game and saw a bowler (can't remember his name at the moment) bowl a ball with the knuckle ball release and the ball came out with very, very little spin. It is very effective because it really does behave differently through the air.

4. boogiespinner

boogiespinner Active Member

You see that effect sometimes on the slow motion replay as the ball wobbles strangely through to the keeper without spin after pitching.

5. leftie600

leftie600 Active Member

Do any spinners here bowl a knuckle ball or what is effectively a 'nothing' ball?

I've bowled one or two every now and then and the effects in the air are unpredictable but can be useful because of that.

6. someblokecalleddave

someblokecalleddave Well-Known Member

I've looked at it a couple of times as a possible variations, when I had severe Googly syndrome I explored the idea a bit as a means to bowl a variation, I think I gave it a go in a few games, but probably didn't put the time in to develop the delivery to the point it was useful. Again I think it's one of those balls you could probably use when you've got the psychological edge over the batsman and you're in complete control of the situation?

7. Chino#21

Chino#21 Active Member

As a leg spinner I have very little use for it but if I were an off spinner I'd definetely look into it. The difficult part is disguising the grip though.

8. someblokecalleddave

Anyone watch the last over today at the SCG with Lyons bowling at Kumar? I could see where 10 of the fielders were, but there was one bloke off camera, any idea where he was?

9. boogiespinner

Diificult I'd say. Knuckleballers are like baseball's legspinners. Notoriously difficult to do and when it goes wrong they get smashed. With cricket the knuckleball is far less incisive because after pitching it's sanitized. I can't see how it can come out of the hand other than very slowly. I would have thought it might make a slower ball variation for quicks, pitched right up. I'd be surprised if a spin bowler could make it a useful variation.

10. kevt03

kevt03 New Member

loving this thread!

boogiespinner likes this.
  11. shahidpak

shahidpak Active Member

Lol i was joking man

12. someblokecalleddave

Get involved Kev! Good to always have new blokes on here, what level are you? What do you do and where are you?

13. boogiespinner

i just got my first powerball through the post! It is indeed awesome! What a gadget! I might have to carry it around with me so I can powerball at the bus stop. I might get some strange looks but who cares.

14. someblokecalleddave

You need to keep us informed of what you reckon it does for you, I'm not convinced yet, but I could be if your report back with convincing results. On a similar train of thought, I'm about to start getting fit - upper body strength stuff and what have you and some of the exercises I'll be doing look like those that would strengthen your wrists, but I'm wondering does strong wrists also equate to less flexibility? Might be one for Tony or Liz to answer?

15. boogiespinner

hmmm, I don't know. I'm not sure tbh. I have been suckered in by the promo section of the site which has all the musicians saying how great it is. It does feel after using it like I've done some serious exercises at the piano so so far I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

16. shahidpak

shahidpak Active Member

Im now able to do push ups, the volume of my Pecs has already started to increase :cool:

someblokecalleddave likes this.
  17. someblokecalleddave

Nice one, don't know how many I could do at the minute - 15 maybe? I'll give it a go later. Once you've got to the point where you can easily do ten or so you might want to look at doing these. I find these essential for my bowling arm. Without doing some of these I have deltoid injuries.

shahidpak likes this.
  18. Cleanprophet

Cleanprophet Active Member

I wouldn't have thought so. For me, strengthening of the wrist means strengthening the tissue (tendons, ligaments etc) rather than bulking anything up. One area I would imagine you could have problems is if you bulk up muscles in the arm, shoulder and chest. There's no doubt that you could cause restriction of the arm if your shoulder and chest was bulked up a bit. But you wouldn't be bulking up like a body builder, so I can't imagine there being any problems even in this area.

Any excercise like this is good for getting your arm through quicker and a quicker arm gives you more opportunity for revs.

I sorted out my seam bowling action recently and have started getting the ball through at a decent rate. One area I felt after a spell of my quickest bowling was in the lats. Any sort of strengthening will help with arm speed. As much as anything, it will just toughen up all the muscles involved in bowling a ball and reduce the chance of a strain.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  19. someblokecalleddave

Yeah that's what I found.

20. boogiespinner

Took my powerball along to meditation group on Sunday and brought it out while we were having tea. "You're weird!" said my friend Mark.

someblokecalleddave likes this.
Put it out there