Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Just done some net practice at Victoria Park against random batsmen. Seam up is okay. The topspinner is spinning had some fun with that, it's not fast down the track but I think it is genuinely beating the batsmen in the flight. Everything else is erratic.

This is like climbing a mountain, you think you are getting there and then you realise how more there is attain.

Just done some net practice at Victoria Park against random batsmen. Seam up is okay. The topspinner is spinning had some fun with that, it's not fast down the track but I think it is genuinely beating the batsmen in the flight. Everything else is erratic.

This is like climbing a mountain, you think you are getting there and then you realise how more there is attain.

It is a long process. You manage to get one thing sorted out and then there's another. I reckoned there were about 6 or 7 things I had to work on from a technical point of view and once I had all those things happening naturally, I then had to work on the psychological part of the game.

Had a game on Sunday. I didn't check my bowling figures at the end, but I think they were something around 3 wickets for 70 or 80 off 13 or 14 overs. Essentially, an economy around 5. There were numerous wild swings from the batters, edges, miss hits and so on. We only had 9 or 10 players as well and we're up against a team full of 1st team and 2nd team players. I got to the game late and by the time I got there we were already facing a team who were 85/1 off 12 overs and playing their shots. The bowling at the other end was just not up to it. For some reason, our seamers cannot help dropping short and feeding backfoot sloggers. It's hard to bowl to batters who are well on top and have absolutely no fear of getting out. As a spinner, my main aim is to build pressure on a batter, but in circumstances like that, you can't do it. I lost count of the number of times I bowled good ball after good ball, only to see the batter still swinging away like a rusty gate! Defensive shots were a rare sight.

In the end, they go to 267/4 off 40 overs. Far too much for us to chase. That said, we did have a good crack at it. Both openers started off well with one going on to his 50 (we retire batters at 50 to give other batters a go). A young kid (about 14yo I think) batted at 3 and played very impressively. I was doing some umpiring at that point, so had a good first hand look at him. He faced one of their 1st team bowlers. He wasn't quick, but he was in the 70mph-75mph bracket, which is quick enough for a young lad. He handled it really well. Eventually, we were about 150/4 off about 28 overs when I came in to bat. The chase was falling away, so it became a case of batting out the overs (our captain has an agreement that you have to take all the chasing team's wickets to win the game, so it gives the chance of a draw). I batted out the overs, getting about 10 or 12 runs. I didn't play any aggressive shots. Just played straight, apart from one cut shot for 4. Played a nice on-drive for a 4, which I was happy about. We ended up somewhere around 190 after the 40 overs for about 7 or 8 wickets.

What team did you play for Dave?
Funny you say that because I've noticed heated moments like these always happen in the 3rd or 4th teams,in my 4th team we had heated arguments in 2 consecutive matches... In one of them the opposition skipper called our 13 years old keeper a d***head after getting dismissed, and when I was bowling I got smashed for a couple of 4s so someone from the opposition was shouting " Oh hit the rubbish away, he's sh*t, take him off, no actually leave hin on, after the end of the match and a disappointing draw I went to the guy and said "Was it you that said this?" He replied angrily even though I was calm "Yeah so what're you gonna do? Are you threatening me?" I replied "Just keep walking" He was quite short so not at all intimidating maybe that's why a big guy from his club came up to me and started threatening me lol

Basildon & Pitsea. Generally they're quite well mannered, but I think you might be referring to a Sunday match, I seem to recall something happened in one of those where it got a little out of hand, but I don't even remember what it was about and that's with a different team, not Basildon? The worst one was last year against our 14 year old Leggie, I think he bowled a bloke out and the bloke left the pitch moaning about his bowling being ***t and someone pointed out that he was walking back to the sheds having been bowled out, so it wasn't that ***t. It may have been the kids older brother who's quite lairy? The same kid bats really well, so he came out at no.3 or something - and this bloke put himself in a silly position with a slow bowler and then was just chirping away at him trying to psyche him out and intimidate him - the kids only just 14 and this big blokes in his 40's, so our kid smacks the ball at him 2 times before the bloke gives up, but apparently the umpires had to intervene because of what was being said. Basically the bloke sounded like a complete dick - same as the bloke in your game. I hate confrontation myself, so I don't like anything like that and as a 14 year old, the idea of standing up for myself in the way that you did there is unfathomable! Good that you can do it.

Definitely! Had a bowl today - exploratory
bowling%2Btotals%2BJune%2B20th.jpg
partly driven by seeing myself on this list here at No.7, never seen this before and once I'd seen it I thought - I want to maintain that position or even better it. I had three overs and had a catch put down, although it was a difficult one to take. But similarly - last few weeks bowling like a dream and now what with this injury it looks like it may be a while before I get it going again!

Had a good long bowl in a game yesterday. I ended up bowling 14 overs and took 4 for 37. Generally, it came out quite well. Bowled a few topspinners and googlys. The batting wasn't great and a lot of my bowling was simply too good for batters of their standard. That said, it can be tricky bowling to batters like that in friendly games because they have absolutely no pressure on them at all. You can bowl good ball after good ball and they still swing away trying to slog the ball. It can get quite frustrating at times. I remember bowling 3 or 4 good balls at one bloke and he had no idea how to play any of them and then I go put a full toss on his legstump that he manages to get a 4 to fine leg (I do sometimes have a fine leg, but we only had 9 and a half players yesterday - half being a young kid who couldn't really run or throw). But, I kept the poor balls down to a very minimal amount and produced a fairly good and consistent line and length. I probably only really bowled 4 or 5 balls at 100% and most of them landed very nicely. I didn't need to push it too hard and so stayed at around 80%-90%, which helped with control.

There was a catch that went down, a missed stumping and one or two other chances that a better fielding side would probably have taken. I have to say, getting that googly into my bowling has helped a lot. I've bowled it loads of times in the last few months, in matches and in the nets, and so many batters just really struggle with it. However, I've learned about what Warne said in regard to the googly. Bowling it to lower order batters or sloggers in general can go against you because most of them are looking to slog to the legside anyway. If I'm bowling to any batter who looks like a legside slogger I just bowl leggies outside off-stump and give the googlys a miss.

I came out near the end of our chase (we were chasing 178 but were not quite in the hunt with a weaker than normal batting line-up) and hit three 4's and finished with 15 not out. I got a nice juicy full toss, which was pulled and then a couple of long hops that were also pulled, all square or in front on square. Nice friendly stuff. But I am feeling a lot, lot better with the bat in the last month or two. I think I've finally clicked a bit with my batting. I've worked a lot, in the nets, on using my feet to the spinners and the seamers. I just haven't had the confidence to use my feet in a match yet. It's only a matter of time until I start using my feet and going at the bowling. It would help if I found myself at the crease with the innings in a position where I could attack rather than always finding myself having to hold an end up and not get out!

We played in Gloucestershire on Sunday. Notable features were me just making the train, then we got given a lift from the station by a nice girl, who I later found out was a major celebrity. Our opening bowlers couldn't see off the openers, and one of them started hitting sixes all over the place. I think he scored a hundred before we got him out, then their number 3 came in - 23 stone reportedly - saying he was a bit drunk. It didn't seem to affect his eye because he then started hitting sixes which were even bigger. I bowled two overs of very medium seam up. A catch was spilled and I also suffered four overthrows but the really big guy hit my second over for ridiculous sixes. I really wanted to bowl legspin but didn't want a repeat of the yips the week before. Oh well.

Just had a good net practice in Victoria Park randomly, there was a guy called Dennis there and we took turns bowling a bag of balls at each other. I was bowling from 18 yards standing start - really enjoyed that. Doesn't matter if one goes horribly wide as you are bowling another ball within five seconds. Dennis was batting without pads and started sweeping both legbreaks and googlies confidently. I thought, I'll throw in a flipper. It whacked him right on the shin. I felt guilty. he put his pads on after that.

While I was batting I noticed that I had never enjoyed the bat so much - not heavy, but the ball was absolutely pinging off when I middled it! Wow! So I made a note of the model. Kookaburra Cadejo 1100. Turns out it retails at 300 quid. Ah.

Oh that was the other thing. I was scoring for our innings until the last over, so I had to rush in as the last man again. It's a hat-trick ball. For some reason I thought the bowler was bowling offspin, as the guy had grey hair. So I ask the wicketkeeper, "is it offspin?" "Legspin mate, it's turning massively", he says. Crowd of fielders around the bat again. I get worried. Bowler charges in and it's surprisingly quick seam up bang on the stumps. I block it. "You said it was legspin!" I say. All the fielders crease up. :D

their number 3 came in - 23 stone reportedly - saying he was a bit drunk. It didn't seem to affect his eye because he then started hitting sixes which were even bigger. I bowled two overs of very medium seam up. A catch was spilled and I also suffered four overthrows but the really big guy hit my second over for ridiculous sixes. I really wanted to bowl legspin but didn't want a repeat of the yips the week before. Oh well.

I've played with an against players who are still a bit drunk/hungover from the night before. It helps and hinders in equal measure. One thing the batters have in common is eagerness to hit the ball as hard as they can. They're there for a good time if not a long time.

The issue of not bowling legspin in matches is a tricky one. You could do with bowling it rather than shying away from it. Get back on the horse and all that. However, you can do more harm than good if it goes badly. So it's a tough one to judge. I've always said that confidence has to be built up gradually until it gets to a point of real resilience.

I thought, I'll throw in a flipper. It whacked him right on the shin. I felt guilty. he put his pads on after that.

I've heard good things about a legspinner at Warwickshire (Josh Poysden). By all accounts, he bowls the flipper very well. It's not something I've bothered with for a while because it was too easy to read when I bowled it and it never really came out as it should. Nice ball if you can bowl however.

While I was batting I noticed that I had never enjoyed the bat so much - not heavy, but the ball was absolutely pinging off when I middled it! Wow! So I made a note of the model. Kookaburra Cadejo 1100. Turns out it retails at 300 quid. Ah.

Always the way. I remember batting in my first season with my club, about 3 or 4 season's ago, and I used a poor 40 quid bat. I never put any time in on my batting and thought nothing of it. It was only after that season that I used someone else's bat (probably a 150 quid bat) and suddenly experienced a ball pinging off the bat and I thought "wait a minute. I've spent all this time batting with something that has no middle at all!!!". I have a CA 1000 bat and custom made bat that I bought off someone for about 40 quid (was about 150 quid when made). They both do the job nicely, but when you then use one of the more expensive ones, like that Cadejo 1100, you realise that these bats really do give you what you pay for. I'm damned if I'm paying 300 quid for a bat though!

then we got given a lift from the station by a nice girl, who I later found out was a major celebrity.

Don't leave it there boogie. Who was this major celebrity and, more to the point, why was she on taxi duty?

The issue of not bowling legspin in matches is a tricky one. You could do with bowling it rather than shying away from it. Get back on the horse and all that. However, you can do more harm than good if it goes badly. So it's a tough one to judge. I've always said that confidence has to be built up gradually until it gets to a point of real resilience.
Yes, I was really itching to bowl spin to this huge slogger. There was no chance he was going to use his feet nimbly. I could have got him. But I think I am probably being sensible.

...when you then use one of the more expensive ones, like that Cadejo 1100, you realise that these bats really do give you what you pay for. I'm damned if I'm paying 300 quid for a bat though!
I am tempted now. I have never experienced anything like it. I have never been a big hitter of the ball before. I've only ever hit two sixes, both over a very short midwicket boundary... this could change.

Don't leave it there boogie. Who was this major celebrity and, more to the point, why was she on taxi duty?
ok... it was Lily Allen. She's a Cranham local, I guess the match had been set up via music connections. Our captain seems to be quite a cheese in the music industry. What's more important, setting up at Glastonbury or getting your mates cricket team to their match? Clearly cricket.

Yes, I was really itching to bowl spin to this huge slogger. There was no chance he was going to use his feet nimbly. I could have got him. But I think I am probably being sensible.

I am tempted now. I have never experienced anything like it. I have never been a big hitter of the ball before. I've only ever hit two sixes, both over a very short midwicket boundary... this could change.

ok... it was Lily Allen. She's a Cranham local, I guess the match had been set up via music connections. Our captain seems to be quite a cheese in the music industry. What's more important, setting up at Glastonbury or getting your mates cricket team to their match? Clearly cricket.
She loves a bit of cricket does our Lilly.

ah, I think her husband was playing for the opposition... think I chatted to him at the bar after the game. He hadn't been properly credited in the scorebooks. Not my fault, I was just copying the Cranham scorer. He was pretty decent about it.

ahhh, the scoring. Fairly standard to have the scorecards full of errors.

I've always been crap at scoring but for some reason this season it's all come together and I'm now half decent at it and it means I don't have to go out and umpire!

I don't mind doing the umpiring too much. A lot of the players in my team are terrible umpires and give LBW's as soon as anyone appeals for it, so I pretty much have to go out and do it to prevent our team being decimated by it!

Basildon & Pitsea. Generally they're quite well mannered, but I think you might be referring to a Sunday match, I seem to recall something happened in one of those where it got a little out of hand, but I don't even remember what it was about and that's with a different team, not Basildon? The worst one was last year against our 14 year old Leggie, I think he bowled a bloke out and the bloke left the pitch moaning about his bowling being ***t and someone pointed out that he was walking back to the sheds having been bowled out, so it wasn't that ***t. It may have been the kids older brother who's quite lairy? The same kid bats really well, so he came out at no.3 or something - and this bloke put himself in a silly position with a slow bowler and then was just chirping away at him trying to psyche him out and intimidate him - the kids only just 14 and this big blokes in his 40's, so our kid smacks the ball at him 2 times before the bloke gives up, but apparently the umpires had to intervene because of what was being said. Basically the bloke sounded like a complete dick - same as the bloke in your game. I hate confrontation myself, so I don't like anything like that and as a 14 year old, the idea of standing up for myself in the way that you did there is unfathomable! Good that you can do it.
Yeah everyone on pour team stands up for themselves and each other....
It's been a long time i havent logged in and a lot has happened, Middlesex played a 4day game at our ground against Worcestershire and I got to meet Saeed Ajmal and Moeen ali, today they played a t20...
Monday I'm playing for the u17 on the same ground as Middlesex played because its the final very excited but nervous too..

It's a tricky one with sledging. I really don't like the Australian style attempts to demoralise a batsman. I'm sure it can be effective.

But I really enjoyed the wicketkeeper on Sunday's game pretending that I was about to face a big-turning legbreak. I felt silly but it was really funny. It's such a great place being out in the middle. I wish I could bat better!

It's a tricky one with sledging. I really don't like the Australian style attempts to demoralise a batsman. I'm sure it can be effective.

But I really enjoyed the wicketkeeper on Sunday's game pretending that I was about to face a big-turning legbreak. I felt silly but it was really funny. It's such a great place being out in the middle. I wish I could bat better!
You and me both mate, if I could just score the odd 20 every now and then would be nice, or just have one or two shots that I could play half decent!

Back