Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Mate just find an empty field somewhere that's relatively flat, stick up some stumps or a target in front of a fence or something, buy yourself 12 balls, ignore the turn you get as it'll be exaggerated, but work on line and length and get yourself an old car mat and try and hit the car mat. What about your back yard, I thought all you Aussie's had massive yards with acres or space?

I do have a pretty big backyard which I practise a lot in but it's not quite as long as a real pitch and the concrete area I bowl on with tennis balls is quite narrow. Also the Australian weather isn't exactly friendly. One day it's cold, wet, and stormy, the next it is 40C degrees stinking hot with not a cloud to be seen in the sky.

Yeah, your best option is to do some work on your own. Bill O'Reilly learned his legspin by bowling up against an old barn door (on a farm I think) for hours on end, everyday.

The bowling restrictions are a bit odd. In the UK, young bowlers can bowl as many overs as they like if they bowl spin. I've seen some young lads opt to bowl spin for that reason alone.

I do have a pretty big backyard which I practise a lot in but it's not quite as long as a real pitch and the concrete area I bowl on with tennis balls is quite narrow. Also the Australian weather isn't exactly friendly. One day it's cold, wet, and stormy, the next it is 40C degrees stinking hot with not a cloud to be seen in the sky.
You can't be moaning about the weather in Australia surely! I tell you what we'll swap, you come here and live in Pommy land and I'll come over and live at your place? If you've got a concrete area - buy some hockey balls - same weight and size as a cricket ball - just plastic.

You can't be moaning about the weather in Australia surely!

enhanced-976-1448408061-2.png

Big enough for standing start practice though? I am such in a firm believer in that, a big reason being that you can bowl maybe an over from a standing start in the time it takes to bowl a single ball from a runup.

Big enough for standing start practice though? I am such in a firm believer in that, a big reason being that you can bowl maybe an over from a standing start in the time it takes to bowl a single ball from a runup.

Possibly, but still, my yard is shorter than the length of a real pitch, which I am starting to suspect is why I tend to bowl a little short at times during a match.

You can't be moaning about the weather in Australia surely! I tell you what we'll swap, you come here and live in Pommy land and I'll come over and live at your place? If you've got a concrete area - buy some hockey balls - same weight and size as a cricket ball - just plastic.

I don't reckon you'd last 5 minutes in 27C heat Dave ;).

I wouldn't say the backyards are big enough for real bowling practice here, and I'd say the average yard space is getting smaller by the day, at least where I live. But I do have 4 sets of open synthetic nets within a 15 minute cycle, so that's definitely an advantage.

I wouldn't say the backyards are big enough for real bowling practice here, and I'd say the average yard space is getting smaller by the day, at least where I live. But I do have 4 sets of open synthetic nets within a 15 minute cycle, so that's definitely an advantage.

About 10 years ago, everyone had backyards, but now all the houses are being knocked down and the plots of land subdivided in to 2 - 4 double storey houses which take up almost the whole division of the plot. Only barely enough room for a space in the back about the size of a side passage. Not to mention the fact that the houses themselves are an eyesore.

Yeah my backyard I can bowl, but off 1 step.

About 10 years ago, everyone had backyards, but now all the houses are being knocked down and the plots of land subdivided in to 2 - 4 double storey houses which take up almost the whole division of the plot. Only barely enough room for a space in the back about the size of a side passage. Not to mention the fact that the houses themselves are an eyesore.
Give us a road name and district, town etc so I can have a look on Google maps.

27 C's okay I can cope up to about 30c, thereafter it's a bit hot I must admit.

Just looked at Le Hunte Ave in Adelaide, yeah it does look pretty small in the back yards. Looking at that area of Adelaide the thing I'm struck by is the lack of green e.g. trees.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the new cricket facebook that's being headed up by a couple of international cricket stars? It's kind of odd because it is very facebook-esque, but therein lies a problem. Facebook works because you connect with people that you know and therefore there's some sense of shared experience in some way (Not a big fan of it myself full of drivel etc.) but it works on several levels even me... for contacting long lost mates etc. But this site only seems to have as it's USP the fact that it is fronted up by 2 mega stars, who at the moment are almost single handed - welcoming every single new punter and befriending them, each new punter has the 3 key main players added as friends. At the start of the page there's a few other famous cricket players who are also associated and are 'Friends', but so far seem really inactive. I don't get it at the moment because to be honest the only attraction seems to be the 2 mega-stars, who have actually replied to questions so far if they've been short. The more in-depth questions fired at them for the moment have understandably been ignored because these blokes have got proper lives to live no doubt. But the rest of the people on there... strange... it's like they're totally awestruck by celebrity and they keep posting up cricket celebrity style drivel and then no-one really comments.

I started a wrist spin topic thing and so far 6 have 'Joined' and I've posted a couple of posts, but no-one has engaged with it at all. It just seems to be really bizarre. I can't see the purpose of it, I can see why people are drawn in - hooked by the fact that the 2 main people are definitely there. But longer term - where's it going to go? http://www.criczilla.com/

I'm not joking about the heat. It was 40C yesterday, today it will be 42C, and tomorrow's going to be even hotter. All these 3 days I am at a cricket workshop thing for 3 hours in the sun.

Well, I was going to have a match today, but even though it was like 43C yesterday, it was raining this morning. It is raining again now and thundering as I am writing this. Make up your mind Adelaide weather!

Well, I was going to have a match today, but even though it was like 43C yesterday, it was raining this morning. It is raining again now and thundering as I am writing this. Make up your mind Adelaide weather!

There are parts of Australia that would love some of that rain right now. I suppose that's the way it often is. Lots of hot weather is eventually broken by a bit of a storm.

Back