Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Do you mean the posts that were deleted by the mods? If you say so, son.
Well actually I deleted them because I only typed them for you to read and be shocked into the realization that you have been possibly the most unhelpful and inhumane internet user known to man.

I had a nice bit of encouragement. I walked past the local nets and there was a serious leggie there. We'd met earlier in the season. He'd been practising against the Bangladeshi side and also England batsmen, Bairstow and Jason Roy. He broke off his practice to say hi and asked how I was going with my practice. Improving all the time but still working on control I said. He looked at me and said "you spin it a lot!" as if, he really meant it and had respect for what I was doing, and I should keep at it :)

Haven't practiced for a little while but should indeed keep it up.

I had a nice bit of encouragement. I walked past the local nets and there was a serious leggie there. We'd met earlier in the season. He'd been practising against the Bangladeshi side and also England batsmen, Bairstow and Jason Roy. He broke off his practice to say hi and asked how I was going with my practice. Improving all the time but still working on control I said. He looked at me and said "you spin it a lot!" as if, he really meant it and had respect for what I was doing, and I should keep at it :)

Good work, keep it up mate!!

I like SLA's contrarian view that removes the romanticisation from leg spin. My season just began but I'm thinking about not bowling for the season and reworking my action for consistency>spin. I'm tiring of bowling trash chasing a Warne pipe dream.

I like SLA's contrarian view that removes the romanticisation from leg spin. My season just began but I'm thinking about not bowling for the season and reworking my action for consistency>spin. I'm tiring of bowling trash chasing a Warne pipe dream.

I think I was 18ish when I realised that the romantic idea of leg spin was unhelpful, and bowling a bit quicker, fuller and straighter and actually taking lots of wickets and winning games for my team, was more fun than bowling balls then turned three feet and then got smashed for four, and I got taken off after two overs.

So well done on taking that same step forward. Some people never do, and just spend their entire life bowling long hops.

4657271.jpg

Just discovered something rather interesting.
The promising leg spin bowler Yasir Shah has the following statistics (of course they are slightly outdated as he has taken many wickets since they were published, but they are interesting nonetheless):

66 of his wickets were Right-handed bastsmen
50 wickets were Left-handed batsmen

Averages:
RH: 28.42
LH: 25.90

Of course we know that the norm is that there are far less LH batsmen than RH batsmen, so for him to have that amount of LH wickets, and at a better average than his RH wickets, is remarkable.

Another thing about him that stands out to me is his effective use of the slider. Right-handers don't seem to pick it that well and he has taken quite a few LBW wickets with it. About 19% of his wickets are LBW, 23% were out Bowled.

I haven't seen a lot of his bowling, but one thing that stands out in the highlights reel is that he can turn, dip, and drift the ball nearly as much as Warne, at a very good pace, and he seems exceptionally accurate as well. Another huge advantage is his mastery of variations - the googly, slider and top spinner, with which he has taken a number of wickets. Warne only mastered these variations fairly late in his career so it's nice to see Shah developing so quickly. His average at the moment isn't that great (29) but at least he is an entertaining bowler to watch.

He is a bowler that can intrigue spectators. Nobody wants to watch a rolling non-spinning bowler bore batsmen into wickets. But with bowlers like Shah there is still a great pleasure in watching the game because he can deceive and dismiss batsmen through the mastery of his craft, which is to spin the ball.

Just discovered something rather interesting.
The promising leg spin bowler Yasir Shah has the following statistics (of course they are slightly outdated as he has taken many wickets since they were published, but they are interesting nonetheless):

66 of his wickets were Right-handed bastsmen
50 wickets were Left-handed batsmen

Averages:
RH: 28.42
LH: 25.90

Of course we know that the norm is that there are far less LH batsmen than RH batsmen, so for him to have that amount of LH wickets, and at a better average than his RH wickets, is remarkable.

Another thing about him that stands out to me is his effective use of the slider. Right-handers don't seem to pick it that well and he has taken quite a few LBW wickets with it. About 19% of his wickets are LBW, 23% were out Bowled.

I haven't seen a lot of his bowling, but one thing that stands out in the highlights reel is that he can turn, dip, and drift the ball nearly as much as Warne, at a very good pace, and he seems exceptionally accurate as well. Another huge advantage is his mastery of variations - the googly, slider and top spinner, with which he has taken a number of wickets. Warne only mastered these variations fairly late in his career so it's nice to see Shah developing so quickly. His average at the moment isn't that great (29) but at least he is an entertaining bowler to watch.

He is a bowler that can intrigue spectators. Nobody wants to watch a rolling non-spinning bowler bore batsmen into wickets. But with bowlers like Shah there is still a great pleasure in watching the game because he can deceive and dismiss batsmen through the mastery of his craft, which is to spin the ball.

Warne arrived on the scene with all the variations Incl flipper and googly and slowly dropped everything except the slider after his shoulder surgery.

Shah isn't a huge turner of the ball. Nothing like warne. Still a top bowler.

Are there any rolling non spinners playing test cricket? It's more of a village cricket phenomenon. They mostly get misclassified as offspinners. Maybe this is where the confusion comes from that offspin is easy... Lol

29 is a good average for a spinner.

Yeah definitely and get yourself into a team - sign up for our team if you're prepared to travel that distance, we don't have subs so it's a pay as you play arrangement - from what I saw when we met you'd do okay.

Damn! I keep trying to change those links below my posts to link to my new blog www.wristspinbowling.blogspot.co.uk and it keeps reverting to the website. The new blog has the facility to comment which is nice, currently under construction at the minute e.g. transferring the 'Best of's' from the existing blogs and trying to consolidate it all one place. The general blogging e.g. me waffling on about it diary style is in the link 3/4 of the way down or here still ironing a few issues out like the text size. It'll be interesting to hear from anyone that accesses it via a phone to let me know what it looks like and how usable it is as I get the sense younger people probably look at it that way?

Heys guys! I played 4 games of cricket, 2 on saturday and 2 on sunday. The first game on saturday (u15's districts) we batted first: the first 6 guys got out, making 90 runs. so we were 6/90 when i came in. I made 35 and put on a 63 run partnership (another 50+ partnership and another 30 for me) and we got bowled out for 150 odd off 42 overs. Then we bowled them out for 90, since their batting order conisisted of about only 4 guys who could bat. O bowled 3 maidens, but my last 3 overs we loose. but we still won!

The second game was fourth graders, where we bowled them out for 90. I bowled three over 0/9. It would have been funny if i was playing with my brother, but he plays third grade. We batted and a guy called campo got 160 odd, another dude got 60, then another go 30. I didnt get to bat because campo (who was captain) declared on 258, looking for the outright win. During tea, i stuffed 20 spring rolls in my pocket and ate lots. Anyway, for the first 40 overs (its an 80 over innings), we only got like two wickets, but then steve (who made 60 when batting) got a seven for? idk....... anyway i caught their n.10 batsman and we got the outright win.

The 1st 20 20 on sunday: the opposition batted first and got 90 and i got a wicket bowling a half tracker. They scored 90. I came in and got out for 3, hitting a supposed no ball aimed at my head to point. Anyway, we chased their total easily.

The second game the chased again. they got 130 odd. we were 9/30 when i came back in. I made 21 not out, with dan and jack and we lost by 50 runs.

Well i may as well include the 20 20 we had today. We were 3rd on the ladder, so we didnt make it to finals but we played the third team on the ladder from a different division. Anyway, we batted first ( i was captain) and jack and i got 30 off 6 overs, i made 11 not out. Then four off our players got 50 in the last 5 overs and we finished on 130-150. We bowled real tight, and fielded well altho our keeper let through some byes. I bowled and maiden, then i got a wicket by pitching it a bit far outside off the got a nick. They only made 90 and we won!

Heys guys! I played 4 games of cricket, 2 on saturday and 2 on sunday. The first game on saturday (u15's districts) we batted first: the first 6 guys got out, making 90 runs. so we were 6/90 when i came in. I made 35 and put on a 63 run partnership (another 50+ partnership and another 30 for me) and we got bowled out for 150 odd off 42 overs. Then we bowled them out for 90, since their batting order conisisted of about only 4 guys who could bat. O bowled 3 maidens, but my last 3 overs we loose. but we still won!

The second game was fourth graders, where we bowled them out for 90. I bowled three over 0/9. It would have been funny if i was playing with my brother, but he plays third grade. We batted and a guy called campo got 160 odd, another dude got 60, then another go 30. I didnt get to bat because campo (who was captain) declared on 258, looking for the outright win. During tea, i stuffed 20 spring rolls in my pocket and ate lots. Anyway, for the first 40 overs (its an 80 over innings), we only got like two wickets, but then steve (who made 60 when batting) got a seven for? idk....... anyway i caught their n.10 batsman and we got the outright win.

The 1st 20 20 on sunday: the opposition batted first and got 90 and i got a wicket bowling a half tracker. They scored 90. I came in and got out for 3, hitting a supposed no ball aimed at my head to point. Anyway, we chased their total easily.

The second game the chased again. they got 130 odd. we were 9/30 when i came back in. I made 21 not out, with dan and jack and we lost by 50 runs.

Well i may as well include the 20 20 we had today. We were 3rd on the ladder, so we didnt make it to finals but we played the third team on the ladder from a different division. Anyway, we batted first ( i was captain) and jack and i got 30 off 6 overs, i made 11 not out. Then four off our players got 50 in the last 5 overs and we finished on 130-150. We bowled real tight, and fielded well altho our keeper let through some byes. I bowled and maiden, then i got a wicket by pitching it a bit far outside off the got a nick. They only made 90 and we won!

Mate 80 over innings, some of us here in the UK dream of being able to play that kind of game, year on year, it seems there's pressure on our traditional 50 overs games to be reduced increasingly, last year it was 45 overs, this year they're talking about 40 overs, it's absolute nonsense- reasons given... "Kids get bored with long versions of the game, shorter formats might encourage kids". Sounds like you're having a good time there Perth - maybe ease up on the Spring Rolls?

Mate 80 over innings, some of us here in the UK dream of being able to play that kind of game, year on year, it seems there's pressure on our traditional 50 overs games to be reduced increasingly, last year it was 45 overs, this year they're talking about 40 overs, it's absolute nonsense- reasons given... "Kids get bored with long versions of the game, shorter formats might encourage kids". Sounds like you're having a good time there Perth - maybe ease up on the Spring Rolls?

I reckon its not boring for those who really like the game.... but the 80 overs does pay off for afternoon tea. Ill probably eat me spring rolls, due to the fact i get very hungry, very quickly.

Back