Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Neville. Apparently it is an insult to disabled people to compare them with SLA. I don't know why, maybe being SLA is worse than being disabled. But anyway, please do not disparage people in that way.

I know you think you're being funny, Chino, but mocking the disabled is really no laughing matter.

I know you think you're being funny, Chino, but mocking the disabled is really no laughing matter.

No it is not, but Neville never mocked the disabled, he mocked you. And I'd call a false empathy towards the disabled, when you clearly lack any empathy towards fellow human beings, (disabled or otherwise) a serious case of hypocrisy.
Do not pretend to be so concerned over the rights and feelings of disabled people if you can scarcely be corcerned about the feelings of non-disabled people. First and foremost we are not disabled or non-disabled, but human beings, all of us. The fact that Neville is not disabled does not give you the right to not care as much for him as you supposedly care for disabled people.

Back to relevant discussion:
I don't know how many of you enjoy a game of backyard cricket occassionally, but I think it can be almost just as enjoyable as indoor cricket.
I played a bit of it a few days ago, and we used a taped tennis ball. We used thick tape around half of the ball, enough of it to make a significant difference to the weight on one side of the ball. This causes it to swing almost uncontrollably towards the taped side, which challenges the batsman a lot.
I also discovered a new trick with this ball - you can manipulate the ball by using the weight on the top or bottom by bowling an undercutter. I bowled undercutters with the heavy side underneath, and the ball would drop like a stone. If the heavy side was on top, it would zip through the air almost like a backspinner, but ridiculously so.
I would bowl a few dipping undercutters and then one very flat one with the heavy side on top, which would then carry on through the air enough to land about a few meters fuller than expected.
Another useful trick would be to bowl for example a left arm off spinner with the heavy side on the left, which would then drift in, but straighten midway through the air because of the "swing" caused by the tape. Arm balls could also swing heavily both ways.
It's a lot of fun to be able to manipulate the ball to that degree, albeit a bit ridiculous to watch and bat against.

No it is not, but Neville never mocked the disabled, he mocked you. And I'd call a false empathy towards the disabled, when you clearly lack any empathy towards fellow human beings, (disabled or otherwise) a serious case of hypocrisy.
Do not pretend to be so concerned over the rights and feelings of disabled people if you can scarcely be corcerned about the feelings of non-disabled people. First and foremost we are not disabled or non-disabled, but human beings, all of us. The fact that Neville is not disabled does not give you the right to not care as much for him as you supposedly care for disabled people.

I don't really care about him attacking me, he's a bully who does that in almost every post, so I'm used to it by now.

What I don't like is when bullies like him pick on the vulnerable. He openly verbally attacked people on the autistic spectrum, saying that they would be the type of people who "would sarcastically attack a young person". That is a quite scandalous and disgusting claim, and an all-out attack on people with Autism that must not be tolerated.

I quote:

"who would sarcastically attack a young person about their post. There are only a couple of types of people that would do that. Either they are the biggest of self serving, know-all knobheads with the emotional intelligence of a pencil OR they are on the spectrum"

The fact that you are now trying to apologise and downplay this comment, that you apparently find this attack on the vulnerable to be funny, is showing you in a very bad light.

Let’s have a look at how this played out, by looking at your response to Leftarmunorthox’s original post.

I think that must be some sort of record. Did you have flood lights?

Sarcasm

Ah yes. The stupidest way to organise a cricket match known to mankind.

To a post where I explained how cricket is played here. It should have alerted you to the impossibility of playing 160 overs in a day. This lead to my remark about accounting in response to your comment about the stupidest way to organise cricket. If you read my post which you quoted you would have seen where 115 overs came from.

Neville is just being an argumentative bellend, as usual.

Who started calling people names first!

As for the spectrum, you have all the typical characteristics of a high performing person with Aspergers Syndrome

lack of social awareness;

You say and do things to people on here and have no understanding of how negative you are

lack of interest in socializing/making friends; difficulty making and sustaining friendships

You don’t seem to have made any friends on here and certainly don’t make any effort to do so

Inability to Empathize with the thoughts, feelings, or emotions of others;

Just read through the responses to some of your comments, they demonstrate that people see that as an area you have problems with.

Literal Interpretations and an inability to perceive nonverbal cues or communications;

Eg. 160 overs in a day.

failure to respect interpersonal boundaries;

You are continually rude to everyone

inflexibility and over-adherence to or dependence on routines

If it doesn’t fit in with your opinion you repeat the same type of behaviour over and over and over.

I’m sick of your crap and sniping to me and everyone else and that is the only reason I am responding to your remarks.

Last edited:
Let’s have a look at how this played out, by looking at your response to Leftarmunorthox’s original post.

I think that must be some sort of record. Did you have flood lights?

Sarcasm

Ah yes. The stupidest way to organise a cricket match known to mankind.

To a post where I explained how cricket is played here. It should have alerted you to the impossibility of playing 160 overs in a day. This lead to my remark about accounting in response to your comment about the stupidest way to organise cricket. If you read my post which you quoted you would have seen where 115 overs came from.

Neville is just being an argumentative bellend, as usual.

Who started calling people names first!

Firstly - it wasn't sarcasm. I couldn't understand how it was possible to play that many overs in a day. It was a genuine question. I know a bunch of guys who played a 48 hour cricket match under floodlights a few years ago. That was an impressive feat - I was wondering if the young lad had been involved in a similar event.

"if you read my post which you quoted you would have seen where 115 overs came from."

Yes, I do. You took the number of overs in the 2nd game (80) and added the number of runs leftarmunorthodox scored in the first game (35)

80+35 = 115. Quite why you did that, I genuinely have no idea.

"Who started calling people names first!"

You did. The thread was calm and reasonable, until out of nowhere you completely lost your temper, erroneously took aim at my maths skills, and made a sarcastic remark about "I hope you're not an accountant".

So lets be clear here. YOU started this argument with an unprovoked attack on ME, and not satisfied with attacking me, you then decided to take a pot-shot at people on the autistic spectrum! Unbelievable! What else have you got up your sleeve? Some racism and misogyny about to spew forth?

I reiterate the fact - you're a bigot, you're a bully, you're an absolute disgrace, and there is no place in cricket for people like you. If you were in my club and made a comment like that, you'd be banned from the premises and reported to the police, and never allowed to work with children or vulnerable adults again. End of discussion.

Just watching the Women's test matches on BT's youtube channel - very commendable - full match coverage, just have to have a news black-out so I don't know what's happening for about 24 hours. Anyway, that aside, the commentary team are saying that 2 day cricket in Australia is dying away is that true? What's going wrong?

Just watching the Women's test matches on BT's youtube channel - very commendable - full match coverage, just have to have a news black-out so I don't know what's happening for about 24 hours. Anyway, that aside, the commentary team are saying that 2 day cricket in Australia is dying away is that true? What's going wrong?

whats bt??? I dont think 2 day cricket is dying out, as almost every league plays it.

First net practice today for a while. Nets covered in leaves! I spent some time clearing them out.
Took a while to warm up and then I bowled some nice legspin, still often innaccurate, but beside me in the next net was the serious legspinner I mentioned earlier and I realised I wasn't so far off his pace now.
Googlies not really working. Flying all over the place.
I found that if I concentrated on my elbow position, that helped me keep a high arm. I bowled some pure topspin with a 12 o'clock arm keeping the elbow high and it was quite alien. Going to do more of that.

Could definitely feel the results of the shoulder stretches which I'd been doing (linked on the videos thread). Definitely felt looser.

First net practice today for a while. Nets covered in leaves! I spent some time clearing them out.
Took a while to warm up and then I bowled some nice legspin, still often innaccurate, but beside me in the next net was the serious legspinner I mentioned earlier and I realised I wasn't so far off his pace now.
Googlies not really working. Flying all over the place.
I found that if I concentrated on my elbow position, that helped me keep a high arm. I bowled some pure topspin with a 12 o'clock arm keeping the elbow high and it was quite alien. Going to do more of that.

Could definitely feel the results of the shoulder stretches which I'd been doing (linked on the videos thread). Definitely felt looser.

What kind of practise do you do at the nets?
I used to do target practise since that really is the only useful thing to do in nets in my opinion. Bowling to batsmen in nets is so utterly different to bowling to batsmen in matches that it never really felt like much use doing it. (For your average bowler, about 50-60% of his wickets will be catches, which is an impossibility in nets as there are no fielders. Batsmen get to stay in even if they are dismissed etc. which is just totally ridiculous)
Target practise is different to bowling at a batsman, but it's definitely helpful to develop the skill of being able to pitch the ball consistently on the spot that you want it to pitch. I assume this is what you were doing?

What kind of practise do you do at the nets?
I used to do target practise since that really is the only useful thing to do in nets in my opinion. Bowling to batsmen in nets is so utterly different to bowling to batsmen in matches that it never really felt like much use doing it. (For your average bowler, about 50-60% of his wickets will be catches, which is an impossibility in nets as there are no fielders. Batsmen get to stay in even if they are dismissed etc. which is just totally ridiculous)
Target practise is different to bowling at a batsman, but it's definitely helpful to develop the skill of being able to pitch the ball consistently on the spot that you want it to pitch. I assume this is what you were doing?
I take a bag of balls, choose a time when I can get a lane to myself (it's open air public nets), and then just send down perhaps 200-300 deliveries, one pace, shortened distance, no batsman. At present, it takes me about 100 deliveries to really start feeling my way into it, perhaps around 200 I really hit my best stuff. A lot of these, I'm just trying to generate spin rather than worry about the seam angle, this tends to produce topspun legbreaks some of which turn quite handsomely. I'll also try to bowl a fair few legbreaks with wide seam angles, some pure topspin (which I find really quite difficult) and I'll throw in a few googlies. I also bowl a few seam up things as well. I can't do so many of those as there is more physical stress.

It's all still very much a work in progress. I am still lacking accuracy but I am very happy with the spin and turn I am now getting and once I am warmed up, the pace is coming on too.

I'm still more concerned with developing the action than aiming for accuracy. I don't feel I've stopped improving at this.

Anyone have any advice on exercises/stretches in the field to prepare to bowl? When brought onto bowl I don't feel like it is physically possible to get through my action for the first 3/4 deliveries.

Anyone have any advice on exercises/stretches in the field to prepare to bowl? When brought onto bowl I don't feel like it is physically possible to get through my action for the first 3/4 deliveries.

Obviously warming up before the game is important, particularly bowling 2-3 overs in the nets just to get the feel of your action and the ball coming out of your hand. Don't do too much, else you will stiffen up in the intervening period and won't be fresh for your spell.

In the field, most people make the mistake of only warming up their top half. In fact, warming up your legs, hips and trunk is the most important thing, as this is what drives you through the crease.

Good article here on one of the best current spinners in world cricket:

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1126231/ugly-beautiful--the-nathan-lyon-story

Really great to see how adult spin bowlers think about a whole host of different methods to get batsmen out and "leave their egos behind" and don't simply turn every ball 2 foot like an immature child might.

and of course - amateur tracks are far more likely to be slow and low (like sub-continental wickets), rather than fast and bouncy like the WACA, so the ideal way to bowl spin that they describe in the article is extremely relevant for all wannabe spin bowlers who want to get good results on amateur pitches. The keys they highlight are:

"mix one up and four down" (ie bowl 4 quicker balls for every slower ball) and
"being deadly accurate and hitting the stumps more often than not"

I occasionally get to bowl on hard, bouncy tracks, and its great fun because you naturally get pace and bounce off the surface, so can take a little bit of pace off, but you need to really give the ball a hard rip with plenty of topspin to get sideways movement. But on the majority of amateur tracks, the key is to bowl, full, straight, quickish, to mix up your pace and angle of spin, and the pitch will do the rest for you.

The worst thing an amateur bowler can do on a real dry turner is to try and show off by ripping everything 3 foot. Its fun to do in practice, but in a game situation, its not going to get you any wickets. Leave your ego in the changing room.

Firstly - it wasn't sarcasm. I couldn't understand how it was possible to play that many overs in a day. It was a genuine question. I know a bunch of guys who played a 48 hour cricket match under floodlights a few years ago. That was an impressive feat - I was wondering if the young lad had been involved in a similar event.

"if you read my post which you quoted you would have seen where 115 overs came from."

Yes, I do. You took the number of overs in the 2nd game (80) and added the number of runs leftarmunorthodox scored in the first game (35)

80+35 = 115. Quite why you did that, I genuinely have no idea.

"Who started calling people names first!"

You did. The thread was calm and reasonable, until out of nowhere you completely lost your temper, erroneously took aim at my maths skills, and made a sarcastic remark about "I hope you're not an accountant".

So lets be clear here. YOU started this argument with an unprovoked attack on ME, and not satisfied with attacking me, you then decided to take a pot-shot at people on the autistic spectrum! Unbelievable! What else have you got up your sleeve? Some racism and misogyny about to spew forth?

I reiterate the fact - you're a bigot, you're a bully, you're an absolute disgrace, and there is no place in cricket for people like you. If you were in my club and made a comment like that, you'd be banned from the premises and reported to the police, and never allowed to work with children or vulnerable adults again. End of discussion.

If everyone here thinks you are annoying and claim you have no self aware then they are probably right. You behave like a wild child. You don't even have the ability to assess yourself, that is how bad you are. You got issues.

Just read an interesting article where Warne criticised leg spinner Yasir Shah for his defensive, negative tactics.
Shah bowled almost outside leg stump to left-handers with a 6-3 leg side field, which is about as defensive and negative as you can get.

Warne remarked that Shah, as an attacking leg spinner, should aim to take wickets, which he will accomplish through LBW, bowled or caught dismissals that can only be brought about by getting drift, dip, turn and bounce, all of which are negated by his negative line and defensive field.

Warne was excellent at bowling to left-handers by pitching the ball in the rough, and Shah has displayed this ability as well so I think he should listen to Warne's advice.

Back