Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

err yeah, it was ok. I mainly played T20s this year due to family commitments at the weekends. I think I took 20 wickets at an average of ~10 and an econ of ~5.

With the bat in the T20s, scoring 320 runs at an average of 80 and S/R of ~140.

I played a couple of 40 over games but didn't do much. Top score of 36 and best return of 8 overs, 4-24.

Important thing is, we had a good season with maximum team spirit and minimal acrimony, and we're all looking forward to next year already.

The times you get smashed, is it that the batsmen are better or that your bowling is suddenly worse than usual?

Not a bad season. Where do you play ?

Mostly bad bowling, the issue was waking up at 5:30 am for an 8AM start. No matter how well I was rested, it was just hard to bowl well from ball 1 in a T20 game. This was due to not warming up, generally in nets I bowl shit for the first 10-15 minutes before getting into the zone, in game it was just too difficult. My ride comes 30 minutes before the damn game, so I never get proper warm-up either. This was the first time I was playing in a T20 league and it was a pretty competitive league as well. Teams stacked few well known hitters in the country and showed no mercy. There were some good batsmen, but few months ago, I was in "contention"(that's what I was told) to be a second spinner in the highest division, with rumour looming that our original 2nd spinner was about to depart for another club; first spinner was Shane Shillingford of West Indies. I fell off the grid so bad that I didn't even get picked up in the 2nd or even 3rd tier team and ended up playing the whole season for the T20 side. End of the day it all comes down to performance doesn't it ?

I just stopped bowling sliders and topspins. Without feeling "loose" the deliveries were just being either too short or too full. My deliveries were a little bit on the slower side as well. Regardless of how much drift, dip and turn I got, batsmen had ample of time to go on front or back foot. Currently my BMI index is at 29, i'm technically overweight but my limbs are pretty weak. I'm going to hit the gym and also looking to grab few guys from the club and hit the nets in winter often as I can part from mandatory practices. Over this summer, we had a player who played 2 seasons in IPL, he was a spinner as well and I missed a great opportunity by only finding out that during off days, he just chills in his rented condo with no one to practice with. I was working from home and could have easily picked him and learned a few thing or two. I hate myself so bad right now.

My bad for the rant lol

SLA

Not a bad season. Where do you play ?

Mostly bad bowling, the issue was waking up at 5:30 am for an 8AM start. No matter how well I was rested, it was just hard to bowl well from ball 1 in a T20 game. This was due to not warming up, generally in nets I bowl shit for the first 10-15 minutes before getting into the zone, in game it was just too difficult. My ride comes 30 minutes before the damn game, so I never get proper warm-up either. This was the first time I was playing in a T20 league and it was a pretty competitive league as well. Teams stacked few well known hitters in the country and showed no mercy. There were some good batsmen, but few months ago, I was in "contention"(that's what I was told) to be a second spinner in the highest division, with rumour looming that our original 2nd spinner was about to depart for another club; first spinner was Shane Shillingford of West Indies. I fell off the grid so bad that I didn't even get picked up in the 2nd or even 3rd tier team and ended up playing the whole season for the T20 side. End of the day it all comes down to performance doesn't it ?

I just stopped bowling sliders and topspins. Without feeling "loose" the deliveries were just being either too short or too full. My deliveries were a little bit on the slower side as well. Regardless of how much drift, dip and turn I got, batsmen had ample of time to go on front or back foot. Currently my BMI index is at 29, i'm technically overweight but my limbs are pretty weak. I'm going to hit the gym and also looking to grab few guys from the club and hit the nets in winter often as I can part from mandatory practices. Over this summer, we had a player who played 2 seasons in IPL, he was a spinner as well and I missed a great opportunity by only finding out that during off days, he just chills in his rented condo with no one to practice with. I was working from home and could have easily picked him and learned a few thing or two. I hate myself so bad right now.

My bad for the rant lol

One thing I can sympathise with is the tendency to drop the variations if you're not feeling 100%. This may or may not be the right thing to do, its hard to say.

Its something I have also done in the past few seasons as I've had less time to practice and I've felt very rusty at times, especially in the early season, and so I've simply gone out with the approach of sticking to my stock ball and not give any easy runs away. Sometimes this has worked, sometimes it hasn't.

However, one thing I've tried to do this year is to approach bowling in a more positive, assertive mindset, and start mixing in variations from the off to try and immediately put the batsman under pressure. Partly because this is more fun for me rather than just trying to contain and waiting for a mistake.

Surprisingly, this hasn't led to me getting panned. Although there have been the odd additional poor length ball as a result, the additional doubt in the mind of the batsmen caused by the additional variations has generally made them more cautious about playing aggressive shots.

I'm actually trying to get away from the idea of stock ball + variations. Instead I prefer to think of being able to bowl 4 deliveries that I each bowl 25% of the time. I find this more fun, and it seems to be effective in confusing the batsman as to what is coming next.

One thing I can sympathise with is the tendency to drop the variations if you're not feeling 100%. This may or may not be the right thing to do, its hard to say.

Its something I have also done in the past few seasons as I've had less time to practice and I've felt very rusty at times, especially in the early season, and so I've simply gone out with the approach of sticking to my stock ball and not give any easy runs away. Sometimes this has worked, sometimes it hasn't.

However, one thing I've tried to do this year is to approach bowling in a more positive, assertive mindset, and start mixing in variations from the off to try and immediately put the batsman under pressure. Partly because this is more fun for me rather than just trying to contain and waiting for a mistake.

Surprisingly, this hasn't led to me getting panned. Although there have been the odd additional poor length ball as a result, the additional doubt in the mind of the batsmen caused by the additional variations has generally made them more cautious about playing aggressive shots.

I'm actually trying to get away from the idea of stock ball + variations. Instead I prefer to think of being able to bowl 4 deliveries that I each bowl 25% of the time. I find this more fun, and it seems to be effective in confusing the batsman as to what is coming next.
That is exactly why I dropped my variations and just stuck to variations of leg break and googlies. Generally when I'm warmed up in nets, all I have to do is think about bowling flighted deliveries or quicker deliveries and my body will do its thing on its own. When in game, without getting into the zone, I felt like I was forcing them, so flighted deliveries became to full or full tosses and quicker leg breaks became short ball. Towards end of the season, I stuck to conventional leg break, scrambled leg break and one type of googly. I have to do something about not getting to the zone from ball one. I saw Fawad Ahmed and Sandeep Lamichanee in GT20 Canada come out and bowl for 45 minutes before the game. Fawad must have bowled good 10 overs or so.

I think I should probably start with 4 different variations and then hide them away and just bowl variations of leg break and topspin. I really missed my topspin, in nets not even national players were reading them, I often confused them with scrambled and non-scrambled topspin. I just couldn't bowl that in game, i was willfully forcing it and it was a disaster.

I also found it very difficult to bowl to tall players, these guys have the reach and they can also go quickly very back. How would you bowl to these guys considering say I'm someone that generally flights the ball.

SLA

That is exactly why I dropped my variations and just stuck to variations of leg break and googlies. Generally when I'm warmed up in nets, all I have to do is think about bowling flighted deliveries or quicker deliveries and my body will do its thing on its own. When in game, without getting into the zone, I felt like I was forcing them, so flighted deliveries became to full or full tosses and quicker leg breaks became short ball. Towards end of the season, I stuck to conventional leg break, scrambled leg break and one type of googly. I have to do something about not getting to the zone from ball one. I saw Fawad Ahmed and Sandeep Lamichanee in GT20 Canada come out and bowl for 45 minutes before the game. Fawad must have bowled good 10 overs or so.

I think I should probably start with 4 different variations and then hide them away and just bowl variations of leg break and topspin. I really missed my topspin, in nets not even national players were reading them, I often confused them with scrambled and non-scrambled topspin. I just couldn't bowl that in game, i was willfully forcing it and it was a disaster.

I also found it very difficult to bowl to tall players, these guys have the reach and they can also go quickly very back. How would you bowl to these guys considering say I'm someone that generally flights the ball.
Only one thing you can do, set your field to give you protection where you need it and then back yourself to beat them either in the air or off the pitch.

Pick the battle you think you've got the best chance of winning. If you pitch it up they'll keep coming forward, but how long before you sneak a topspinner past the edge? If that's your thing, back yourself and go with it. If you combine big revs with variations in pace and topspin, you will succeed eventually

Only one thing you can do, set your field to give you protection where you need it and then back yourself to beat them either in the air or off the pitch.

Pick the battle you think you've got the best chance of winning. If you pitch it up they'll keep coming forward, but how long before you sneak a topspinner past the edge? If that's your thing, back yourself and go with it. If you combine big revs with variations in pace and topspin, you will succeed eventually
This was exactly my plan, but the issue was when I got hit for 2-3 boundaries in the first over that was the end of it. and it doesn't help when your whole team is stacked with "Allrounders". I never even got to be in the zone in most matches, even in those games that I did really well.

SLA

This was exactly my plan, but the issue was when I got hit for 2-3 boundaries in the first over that was the end of it. and it doesn't help when your whole team is stacked with "Allrounders". I never even got to be in the zone in most matches, even in those games that I did really well.
Yeah, first key in a T20 is to try to avoid going for boundaries. Watch the batsmen closely before you come on, figure out what their strengths and weaknesses are, and come up with a plan to combat this. Stay ahead of the game - remember you only automatically have the element of surprise for your first ball, which should always be full and at the stumps. After that, you have to keep the batsman guessing with constant variation. Changes in pace (start slower, go quicker), changes in line (at the pads or outside off), changes in angle (go wide on the crease, go tight), changes in spin (topspin, backspin, wrong'un). No two balls the same. Watch the batsman closely between balls and try to guess what his intentions are. Is he thinking about charging? Sweeping? Giving himself space to hit through cover? What shots is he unconsciously practicing? What boundary is he eyeing up? You just have to avoid giving him the ball he is looking for enough times to get through your set of six with no damage.

I would recommend never bowl more than 2 overs in a row as eventually even a good spinner with plenty of variations runs out of tricks up their sleeve. Ask for an early bowl in the first 10 overs, and then come off and back on later when two different batsmen are at the crease.

Its hard bowling in T20 - you need to be accurate whilst also varying every single delivery so the batsman never gets comfortable. But it can be done, and if you get it right, and your over goes for just a handful of scrambled singles, then its a great feeling.

Hello Guys,
i don't know wether i should be a pace bowler or leg spin bowler this season.
last season i bowled leg spin all season but during the off season i started lifting weights and gained strength.
now at the start of the season i have been bowling some pace bowling and i have gained some pace.
i want to be a spin bowler but becuase we play on artifical wickets it is hard to be a spin bowler becuase of the lack of turn.
can you guys help me so i have a clear decisive plan of what i am going to bowl this year??...

SLA

Hello Guys,
last season i bowled leg spin all season but during the off season i started lifting weights and gained strength.
now at the start of the season i have been bowling some pace bowling and i have gained some pace.
i want to be a spin bowler but becuase we play on artifical wickets it is hard to be a spin bowler becuase of the lack of turn.
can you guys help me so i have a clear decisive plan of what i am going to bowl this year??...

I always say, if you're lucky enough to have the athletic ability and powerful and efficient bowling action to be able to bowl genuinely fast, then why would you do anything else?

Most people don't, hence the reason they learn to spin the ball, swing the ball, bowl tight lines etc.

Hello Guys,
Why not do both and see how you go?

While practicing legspin probably won't help pace bowling, I think practicing pace bowling is no bad thing for a spin bowler. It cannot be an accident that so many great spin bowlers came from a pace bowling background.

Baseball pitchers do not suffer from the idea that one must either bowl this or that exclusively. They'll have their fastballs and curveballs and sinkers and whatnot and the more the merrier.

You might even want to have a crack at the 'Barnes ball', the leg-break at pace, which devastated batsmen many moons ago, and like the Loch Ness monster no film of it exists!

SLA

Why not do both and see how you go?

While practicing legspin probably won't help pace bowling, I think practicing pace bowling is no bad thing for a spin bowler. It cannot be an accident that so many great spin bowlers came from a pace bowling background.

Baseball pitchers do not suffer from the idea that one must either bowl this or that exclusively. They'll have their fastballs and curveballs and sinkers and whatnot and the more the merrier.

You might even want to have a crack at the 'Barnes ball', the leg-break at pace, which devastated batsmen many moons ago, and like the Loch Ness monster no film of it exists!
How was your season, boogiespinner? Many match winning 5-wicket hauls?

There is a new player at my academy and I'm having issue bowling leg spin to him. He is a compulsive sweeper but a very good one. He slog sweeps, paddle sweeps, you name any kind of sweep, he does it. I bowl at off stump, he goes across and sweeps, if I bowl outside off stump the motherf***er reverse sweeps with an ease. To add insult to the injury, after destroying me in every net session he always says "Very nice bowling bro" with the thickest Indian accent, walks over, sits down, eat lays and drinks pop. Help me out lol.

There is a new player at my academy and I'm having issue bowling leg spin to him. He is a compulsive sweeper but a very good one. He slog sweeps, paddle sweeps, you name any kind of sweep, he does it. I bowl at off stump, he goes across and sweeps, if I bowl outside off stump the motherf***er reverse sweeps with an ease. To add insult to the injury, after destroying me in every net session he always says "Very nice bowling bro" with the thickest Indian accent, walks over, sits down, eat lays and drinks pop. Help me out lol.
I would suggest varying overspin and backspin (either flippers or sliders) in order to increase the chances of either skidding one through before he gets his bat on it (LBW) or getting a top edge which can be caught by those in close.

I remember bowling a while ago in the nets to a confident sweeper. I was just bowling one pace off a shortened distance and he wasn't wearing pads. I thought, I'll throw in a flipper, that'll get him. I bowled it, came out nicely. He played to sweep it but it skidded through and hit him square on the shin. He hopped around a bit. I felt mean :(

SLA

Chris Bell gives good advice about mixing up your flight and pace, particularly topspin and backspin to try and get a top edge or lbw.

Its worth noting that your can simply set the field to defend against the sweep. Leg gully, deep fine leg, and deep square leg should do the trick.

I remember bowling a while ago in the nets to a confident sweeper. I was just bowling one pace off a shortened distance and he wasn't wearing pads. I thought, I'll throw in a flipper, that'll get him. I bowled it, came out nicely. He played to sweep it but it skidded through and hit him square on the shin. He hopped around a bit. I felt mean :(
For sure, varying pace and, if possible, overspin/underspin will make sweeping far more difficult. Essentially, when a batter is sweeping he is playing a premeditated shot. The main thing I do is keep the ball on or just outside offstump and vary pace and flight. Before too long, a compulsive sweeper will top edge one.