Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

I'd still say there is an issue with where you are bowling from. You are bowling from over off-stump (or just outside off-stump) at the bowler's end. Almost like going around the wicket. Hence the angle of the ball is from outside the batter's leg-stump and across him to outside off-stump. You really need to start your run from a wider position and angle the ball into the batter's off-stump. What you should do is have a set of stumps, a cone or something like that set up from the bowling end and stay to the left of that as you jump into your delivery stride. At the moment, if you had that set up you would be running right through it.

All that said, some of those flippers are really skidding through quite nicely.

Hi CP. I don't really see it as an issue as such. I mean ultimately I have to bowl straight, right? Regardless of the angle of approach. I hear what you're saying but it hasn't really caused an issue in matches, where I was generally settling into a good line last season. Also at winter nets there were stumps at both ends and I bowled well.

I just need to work on the flipper so I can get most of them out with the seam well presented. It will probably take another six months or so to get to that stage, if it I ever accomplish it. If I don't I will have to live with it being a quick & skiddy offbreak.

Hi CP. I don't really see it as an issue as such. I mean ultimately I have to bowl straight, right? Regardless of the angle of approach. I hear what you're saying but it hasn't really caused an issue in matches, where I was generally settling into a good line last season. Also at winter nets there were stumps at both ends and I bowled well.

I just need to work on the flipper so I can get most of them out with the seam well presented. It will probably take another six months or so to get to that stage, if it I ever accomplish it. If I don't I will have to live with it being a quick & skiddy offbreak.

That's fair enough. For me, I always try to ensure that what I do in the nets is exactly what I would do out in the middle because I want it to be 100% reproduced. You can't reproduce your run-up because you are running through the line of the umpire and the stumps. The main issue I have with that is that the line of the ball is coming across the batter and it should not be doing that unless you are going around the wicket. You want to angle it into the batter and then any drift you get will work in tandem with that.

A bit of a farce of a game for my match yesterday. We ended up with 8-a-side, which you don't want as a bowler. As it was a friendly we played on a pitch that had a boundary about 35yards-40yards on one side (which I ended bowling with as the legside boundary - but down to my choice because there was a nice big breeze blowing towards the legside). The conditions were not pleasant. It was about 10 degrees but we had a fairly cold wind bowling all day. I couldn't feel my hands for most of the 6 overs I bowled.

Not much fun having to bowl with 3 fielders down, a 35 yard legside boundary (which every batter took on with the seemingly insatiable desire to hit towards it) and numb hands. If that wasn't enough, our keeper decided he couldn't keep just before I came on so I had a young lad with little keeping experience behind the stumps. I finished with figures of 1 for for 34 from my 6 overs and felt like I bowled well below my level, which was not surprising. Two stumpings were missed and two catches put down, just to add to the misery.

Needless to say, I didn't bother at all with any variations. It was just legspin all the way with variations in pace and flight. The one wicket I got was a delivery I held back a bit and the slogger was through his shot too early, lobbing it straight up in the air to the keeper. My next game will be in a couple of weeks and I hope it's far more productive (I didn't even get a bat :mad: ).

A bit of a farce of a game for my match yesterday. We ended up with 8-a-side, which you don't want as a bowler. As it was a friendly we played on a pitch that had a boundary about 35yards-40yards on one side (which I ended bowling with as the legside boundary - but down to my choice because there was a nice big breeze blowing towards the legside). The conditions were not pleasant. It was about 10 degrees but we had a fairly cold wind bowling all day. I couldn't feel my hands for most of the 6 overs I bowled.

Not much fun having to bowl with 3 fielders down, a 35 yard legside boundary (which every batter took on with the seemingly insatiable desire to hit towards it) and numb hands. If that wasn't enough, our keeper decided he couldn't keep just before I came on so I had a young lad with little keeping experience behind the stumps. I finished with figures of 1 for for 34 from my 6 overs and felt like I bowled well below my level, which was not surprising. Two stumpings were missed and two catches put down, just to add to the misery.

Needless to say, I didn't bother at all with any variations. It was just legspin all the way with variations in pace and flight. The one wicket I got was a delivery I held back a bit and the slogger was through his shot too early, lobbing it straight up in the air to the keeper. My next game will be in a couple of weeks and I hope it's far more productive (I didn't even get a bat :mad: ).

Sounds pretty good considering what you was up against! The missed catches and stumpings should buoy you as well.

I reckon you went really well considering all that. Those conditions are way colder than a winters day where I live. It must be hard to get the fingers loose enough to bowl when it is like that.

I couldn't hope to bowl spin with frozen hands!
maybe some hand warmers like this would help if the umpire could look after them between overs.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CV6IW2?psc=1
We had a left arm spinner that used to use had warmers that trampers use, made him like right dodgy in the field with his hands in his pockets all the time but they seemed to do the job. Was a little apprehensive catching the ball after he'd touched it though.

First warmup game this Saturday, followed by 3 games in 3 days over the bank holiday weekend!

It was funny watching some of the players really struggling with stifness by the end of the day in my game. Our first team keeper (40yo+) was fielding at slip and simply could not run after playing a cup game the day before. 3 games in 3 days sounds like a lot of hard work. Not only that, but 3 days of pretty much nothing except cricket.

It was funny watching some of the players really struggling with stifness by the end of the day in my game. Our first team keeper (40yo+) was fielding at slip and simply could not run after playing a cup game the day before. 3 games in 3 days sounds like a lot of hard work. Not only that, but 3 days of pretty much nothing except cricket.

3 days of cricket + 2 nights of drinking as well.

Its 40 overs on sat then two 30 over games so it won't be too bad.

I must admit I'm pretty much shot after a game on Saturday, I reckon I might be able to get through two games with the 2nd game running at 70% capacity, but by the end of that day I'd be a gonna.

Got my first match of this season for the second team on Sunday. For some reason the new captain of the first team hasn't selected any spinners. I don't have a problem with this as I prefer the slightly less competitive friendly matches, although I do want to bowl at a higher level to see what happens. Anyway, I am praying for rain as I don't want to miss the Liverpool v Chelsea title showdown. Come on you Reds!!!

We are Liverpool, tra la la la la

Add me to the "sounds like you did well" posse.

Anyway, I am praying for rain as I don't want to miss the Liverpool v Chelsea title showdown. Come on you Reds!!!

We are Liverpool, tra la la la la

I've cried off my game this Sunday because I don't want to miss the Liverpool match. If our team is a player short (which is possible), then I may get down there for the 2nd innings. I'll be giving the game a miss 2 weeks later as well with the last round of football fixtures played on the Sunday.

Missing cricket to watch the telly is just shocking. Where is the dedication guys?

You've got your entire life from 60+ to jealously watch other people play sport. You'll regret missing the opportunity then to play as much as you could when you were young and physically able.

Missing cricket to watch the telly is just shocking. Where is the dedication guys?

You've got your entire life from 60+ to jealously watch other people play sport. You'll regret missing the opportunity then to play as much as you could when you were young and physically able.

There's always plenty of stick going around at the club if you admit missing the game to watch football. Of course, the World Cup is coming up this summer as well (although I don't think I'll be missing any cricket to watch WC matches). It's rare for me to miss cricket to watch football. I put plenty of work in on my bowling than I'm loathed to miss a match for any reason. But, as a Liverpool supporter, I've waited 24 years to win the league and this could be the season. I'm not sure I could play cricket and concentrate with the Liverpool-Chelsea game going on.

I'm not missing the cricket, just praying for rain.

I've waited 24 years for this and I'm not banking on making 60+. You never know when your number's up!

Poetry in motion
Tra la la la la

*leaves the thread doing his bestest rain dance*

Back