Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Another pleasing day today in a 40 over match. 5-0-28-1. My first stumping with one which pitched well outside leg, he came down the track after it and I think the dip more than turn beat him. Broke their biggest partnership and we won with 4 wickets and 7 overs to spare chasing their 171 all out. I'm on a nice little run having taken at least 1 wicket per match in my last four matches.

Martin 35.2-1-183-11 S/R 19.27

I had a reasonable day today, a little expensive, but I'll take 7-0-43-2 as my first bowling for quite a while. Both wickets came in pretty much the same way, batsman beaten in the flight, smashed it up in the air to mid off. Flight felt good generally, batsmen didn't want to come forward and I kept looping it up to try to tempt them. Didn't spin it that much generally (bar one brilliant ball that pitched a foot outside leg and missed off) so I'm going to have a net this week and focus on ripping it a bit more. Also, got bowled at the wrong end, with the wind pushing everything wide of off stump, I probably should have been a bit more adamant with the captain that I get the other end.

10AnOver: 8.3-0-57-3

Nice figures there, mate. Did you bowl any variations or just stock ball? I'm tending to follow up 4 balls with flippers, which is turning into a good dot ball for me, but think i'm overusing this tactic.

I don't really trust my googly enough to bowl it in matches yet, so the only variation was this wristy off break which I think batsmen pick easily, I only bowled two, one was a full toss and the other was a half-tracker. I think all the effort going in to disguising it obscured the actual ball. I just tried to vary my pace really, and let natural variation in spin do the rest. I wish I had a flipper though, how long did it take you to learn it?

I don't really trust my googly enough to bowl it in matches yet, so the only variation was this wristy off break which I think batsmen pick easily, I only bowled two, one was a full toss and the other was a half-tracker. I think all the effort going in to disguising it obscured the actual ball. I just tried to vary my pace really, and let natural variation in spin do the rest. I wish I had a flipper though, how long did it take you to learn it?

With the flipper I don't think it's fully developed yet and it usually comes out with the seam like this //, but it does have back spin and is accurate enough to bowl in matches. I need to get more flight on it and I think I need to release it more out of the bottom of the hand to get the seam presentation correct, but it's a very useful delivery for me both in terms of dot balls and wickets. It's probably taken around 6 months to learn in total, starting with the click release drill, then bowling it in nets and finally in the middle. But I only started concentrating on it properly in the last couple of months. If you can get the click release going, with plenty of revs, it's not too difficult to work it into a full delivery in my humble opinion. Maybe it's not a genuine flipper I'm bowling, it could be some sort of bastardisation of it, but it's getting good feedback from teammates in the nets so I'll stick with it. I also think it's much harder to pick than my wrong un; batsmen just aren't used to facing that kind of delivery in a match.

Interesting, I just had a go with a tennis ball in the garden, and I can get the release close, but not many revs. Still, I'm having a net practice tomorrow, I'll start giving it a proper go.

Sound, let us know how you find it. I will try and post a video of mine at some point.

In other news I've had my first call-up for the 1st XI for a league game this Saturday. :)

Saturday did not go well. Not given a bowl, seamers given all 44 overs. Then late on injured my spinning finger dropping a catch at mid on. Batted at 10 and out for a duck after 2 balls, and we lost after bowling them out for 160 having fielded first. Not quite what I was hoping for. Missed Sunday's game due to injured finger, and going to miss this Thursday's too.

Not been on here much recently - busy at work, but generally it's been going okay. Me and the older son Ben get a place in the 4th XI on a regular basis - I think we've missed two games including last weekend and that game was our first loss. Like to think that's because they missed having us in the team! Still despite the loss we're 2nd in the league with a game in hand over the leading team, so we're probably on par. I think this is the best the 4th XI had ever done in their history! My son Ben's bowling pretty well and enjoying adults league cricket far more than U15's, which is good news. My own bowling's settled down a bit and I've been a lot happier with it, last week changed my grip to a ridiculously loose grip and that seems to have a had benefits, will be trying it out tomorrow. I'm off now for a while now, so might get time to get all the scores together and figure out my figures!

Had a few tough weeks, coming on when the oppo are on 100-0 on a flat pitch with two set batsmen looking to accelerate does not make for happy bowling figures. I got a 0-57 off 10 overs in 35 degree heat last week and was the second most economical bowler, got applause and "great spell" when I came off.

Anyway, had a better week this week, 4-18 midweek followed by 4-36 in the league.

My finger is still in a bad way. I didn't appreciate how bad it was and should have treated it from the start. It's still painful so I've put it in a splint. It honestly feels like my summer is over at the moment. Pretty fed up about it, but very pleased about how my first games went as a leggie on the whole.

My finger is still in a bad way. I didn't appreciate how bad it was and should have treated it from the start. It's still painful so I've put it in a splint. It honestly feels like my summer is over at the moment. Pretty fed up about it, but very pleased about how my first games went as a leggie on the whole.

Can you not bowl with a different finger? I broke my spinning finger batting once and just carried on bowling without using it.

Can you not bowl with a different finger? I broke my spinning finger batting once and just carried on bowling without using it.

I can still bowl my wrong un and flipper but the stock ball is agony, and I can't bat or field. I don't think I'd be nearly as effective with a different finger as my hands are quite small (I'm 5 ft 10) and I'd be gutted if I injured my spinning finger further in the field or batting.

Problem is it wasn't getting any rest as I type a lot at work and it's my strong hand, obviously, so I'm using it all the time. Hopefully wearing the splint for a week or two will sort it, any idea how long I should keep it in a splint for and the healing time for this type of injury? I think it was jammed and/or hyper-extended backwards and towards the little finger. It is currently strapped to the little finger as per advice from the internet.

I can still bowl my wrong un and flipper but the stock ball is agony, and I can't bat or field. I don't think I'd be nearly as effective with a different finger as my hands are quite small (I'm 5 ft 10) and I'd be gutted if I injured my spinning finger further in the field or batting.

Problem is it wasn't getting any rest as I type a lot at work and it's my strong hand, obviously, so I'm using it all the time. Hopefully wearing the splint for a week or two will sort it, any idea how long I should keep it in a splint for and the healing time for this type of injury? I think it was jammed and/or hyper-extended backwards and towards the little finger. It is currently strapped to the little finger as per advice from the internet.

Until it stops hurting I guess!

7 overs, 0-30 on Saturday. Had one straightforward catch dropped and a few misfields on the boundary so I feel I "deserved" something like 1-26.

Disappointing in that it was a real beaut of a spinner's pitch - dry and dusty- I was turning the ball about 2 feet in both directions, problem was when I pitched my stock ball outside leg and spun it across the batsmen, it kept missing off stump, and when I pitched my wrong'un outside off it spun back so far that it bypassed the stumps and thumped straight into the batsmens thighs. I think I beat the bat probably 20 times, the problem was I kept beating the stumps as well.

The offie on the opposition had the same problem, he picked up one wicket though that bowled one of our blokes leg stump behind his pads. Very Warnesque.

7 overs, 0-30 on Saturday. Had one straightforward catch dropped and a few misfields on the boundary so I feel I "deserved" something like 1-26.

Disappointing in that it was a real beaut of a spinner's pitch - dry and dusty- I was turning the ball about 2 feet in both directions, problem was when I pitched my stock ball outside leg and spun it across the batsmen, it kept missing off stump, and when I pitched my wrong'un outside off it spun back so far that it bypassed the stumps and thumped straight into the batsmens thighs. I think I beat the bat probably 20 times, the problem was I kept beating the stumps as well.

The offie on the opposition had the same problem, he picked up one wicket though that bowled one of our blokes leg stump behind his pads. Very Warnesque.

Bedi says "the most dangerous ball on a turning wicket is the one that goes straight" "Topspinners to the rescue!" I'd say

Back on the horse today, finally. 8-0-51-2. Just over 6 per over. They whacked 241-5 from their 40 overs so I ended up leading the wicket charts with my two. Both flippers, one bowled and one caught at point. Didn't bat (was due in at 9) and fielded at fine leg all day to protect my finger which is still in a bit of pain. Surprisingly we managed to chase their total from just 35 overs to win the match.

I don't know why but my flipper breaks slightly to the leg side, Dave says it usually breaks to the offside I think on his blog. Is that right, Dave? Anyway I'm happy with it how it is.

43.2-1-234-13 S/R 20

That's interesting with the flipper, because I've had a little bit of a go at bowling it in the nets, and while I'm not getting it to skid much (possibly due to the sort of net surfaces I've bowled on), but it does seem to turn a bit, whilst jumping up slightly, but pretty slowly. It'd be different on a proper pitch I'd guess, but I'm nowhere near bowling it in a match.

That's interesting with the flipper, because I've had a little bit of a go at bowling it in the nets, and while I'm not getting it to skid much (possibly due to the sort of net surfaces I've bowled on), but it does seem to turn a bit, whilst jumping up slightly, but pretty slowly. It'd be different on a proper pitch I'd guess, but I'm nowhere near bowling it in a match.

A flipper shouldn't be jumping up otherwise how is it meant to skid. Maybe it's because you are releasing the ball a tad slow? How fast do you normally release the ball when you bowl the flipper?

I wouldn't worry about it turning much though as it might help disguise the delivery even more.

Back