Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Four)

hi everyone,
while bowling a leg break im not able to use a lot of my third finger, instead im using more of my middle finger to turn the ball as a result im not getting much turn. Does someone have the same problem? What should i do to correct it?
Thanks.
I think you need to do more practise spinning the ball from hand to hand, as in Dave's YouTube videos. I had a similar experience when I first started, and found it was down to the amount of pressure on my third finger as I tried to whip it around the ball. Too soft (which I imagine is your problem here) and my third finger slipped over the ball without having too much influence on it, too hard and my third finger tended to fling the ball out of my hand quickly and at a strange angle (and, likely as not, towards the nearest item of glassware and/or pottery). You need to go all the way through this range and you will be able to feel how much pressure is not enough and how much is too much.

Didn't do cricket this week...my dear wife of 26 years and the mother of my son is fighting for her life in intensive care. Pray for us. thankyou. Chris Mc Donagh.

Have you come over from Facebook Shawmit? If so, good to see you on here and I'm sure that I wont be the only one that answers your question. The first question is why the finger issue - is it a lack of practice, or have you got small hands or maybe you're holding the ball in an awkward manner?
Thanks for your reply,
ya i have come over from facebook. Coming back to your question, its definately not because of lack of practice and i havent got small hands. My grip is the two fingers up two fingers down grip much like warne's. Maybe this is happening because i dont hold the ball in my palm. I have done a lot of hand to hand exercises as suggested in the book ' the art of wrist spin bowling'. But im just not sure where im going wrong.

I think you need to do more practise spinning the ball from hand to hand, as in Dave's YouTube videos. I had a similar experience when I first started, and found it was down to the amount of pressure on my third finger as I tried to whip it around the ball. Too soft (which I imagine is your problem here) and my third finger slipped over the ball without having too much influence on it, too hard and my third finger tended to fling the ball out of my hand quickly and at a strange angle (and, likely as not, towards the nearest item of glassware and/or pottery). You need to go all the way through this range and you will be able to feel how much pressure is not enough and how much is too much.
Thanks a lot,
i think that is the problem im having. Ill try to do what you have said at the nets on monday and let you know if it works out.

Didn't do cricket this week...my dear wife of 26 years and the mother of my son is fighting for her life in intensive care. Pray for us. thankyou. Chris Mc Donagh.

Chris, don't know what to say, other than we're all with you in our thoughts and that whatever has happened, we all hope your wife pulls through and makes a full recovery and yeah we'll all pray for your wife, you and Jimmy.

Dave

Sorry to hear that Chris. My thoughts and prayers for you and your wife, and family in this moment of difficulty. Will refrain for further comments on the site, which would be superfluous at this difficult time.

Words are insignificant Chris but my thoughts and prayers are with you all and I pray that your wife returns to you and your son soon. Take care x

Macca,
I hope that she gets through this terrible time and hope that you'll pull through as well.
Best

We played the second half of our two day game today, chasing the formidible total of 301. In our favour was the weather. It was 40 degrees with a hot northwesterly wind blowing. Drinks were agreed for every 8-9 overs. We started off very slowly 1-20 off 18 overs (70 overs all up) Then after tea we really took off to a point where we wer 5 down with 30 off 3 overs to get. Then we lost two wickets and I went out with 23 to get off 9. Unfortunately I was caught on the boundary for one. When I hit it I thought it was six but oh well!! Our next batsman just blocked it out for a draw. An excellent performance after we let them get so many last week. The best part being me getting to sit in the shade for all but 2 balls of the day.
The poor blokes out there came in totally spent .

I do hope Chris/Macca is faring well and that he has people around him who can support him at this time, and we're all hoping his wife pulls through soon. Best wishes Macca.

Meanwhile, I found this piece which at one point seems to suggest that the first bowlers with what we would understand to be a flipper action may have been under-arm lob bowlers: http://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdencricketer/content/story/138294.html

Ocassionally when we get other kids to play cricket with us in the paddock, it'll be quick cricket and some of the older ones - 16 (year olds) are pretty good so I always have to resort to Flippers bowling them under arm as you do with quick cricket but imparting all the variations apart from the wrong wrong un. This is a good link and potentially the kind of source that perhaps Grimmett drew his inspiration from when he started out experimenting with the Flippers pre 1930?

i had my worse indoor game ever yesterday. bowled one over for about 34 runs and immediately told the captain to take me off. id have gladly been taken off after the second ball to be honest. im carrying an upper leg injury and also arrived late. i literally ran into the arena and was bowling within 2 mins without any warmup lol. so its no surprise it was so shocking.

had a net for 30 mins between games and it wasnt great either but i cant wait to get outdoors again. when i hit my line and length its unplayable, bowled one cherry at a batsman that started on middle stump, drifted in sharply at his legs and had him scrambling, then turned back huge and squared him right up, had him scrambling to get bat on ball which he just about did. 2nd game i was better but still poor, too many no balls from drag downs. im playing again tonight but i cant bowl with my leg, i could barely walk by the end of the 2nd game yesterday. so im keeping wicket haha.

my batting is getting better, slowly but surely. my Mongoose bat is immense though, cant wait to use it outdoors. ive not hit a 6 in a match yet, but thats definitely happening this season.

This is a question that I've brought over from youtube in response to a video of some blokes in Germany - http://www.youtube.com/user/Kaos110 So rather than isolate the question on youtube I'll answer it here, so some of you can chip in and comment as well. Kaos has said.............

hey dave,

first of all thx for your quick reply and for your positiv feedback.
due to the fact that we dont have a kind of coach or experienced player i depend on people like you, so i spend hours with watching cricket videos on youtube. i was very impressed of your accuracy and the amount of spin you add on the ball. are you still an active player??
you figured out my problem quite good. its my overall bowling action. i didnt find a proper way to grip the ball yet and no way for my run up which feels comfortable to me.
so there are some specific questions i have to ask concerning the grip
i am unsure about the task of the index(??)finger (i hope you know which one i mean, in germany we called it the ring finger) which is placed on the side of the ball. do you keep it pretty lose or is this finger putting pressure on the seam??? what does this finger do during the release of the ball?? is the finger rolling above the seam or does the spin come from the rotation of the wrist??? in my first video i more or less pulled the ball to get the rotation. on the second one i focused more on the rotation of the wrist. had a couple of tries yesterday but it was a total mess,no spin, no control, the ball landed everywhere where i didnt want it.
i hope you understand my problem (because of my ****** up english *lol*). there is no motion i can practice over and over again because i am not sure if its correct what i do and i dont want to get used to a wrong technique.
hope you can help me

i will check the video you linked and also take a look on bigcricket.com

thx again for your reply and please keep up posting videos

have a nice weekend

cheers & beers

Julian

Julian, most of us on here have never been coached and we just learn through making mistakes and practicing and asking questions and like you watching videos on-line. Yes I'm an active player, I play with a Sunday 'Friendly' team and the season starts here in England in April.

With regards your grip, it looks in some cases as though you're managing to get the ball to spin and you're bowling Left handed which means you're bowling is refrerred to as 'Chinaman' bowling if you're bowling 'Wrist Spin'. You need to explain how you grip the ball and impart the spin - have a look at this video and see if you think you're a 'Wrist Spinner' or a 'Finger Spinner'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlWYcuaTosc - Wrist Spinning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si48Ch1EbRQ&feature=related - Finger Spinning

If you watch the Wrist Spinning video you'll see that Terry Jenner explains the function of the ring finger and also look at my video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8wAzBKmgYM as this may help. The finger has contact along the seam and the 3rd finger supported by the little finger flick the ball from the hand along with the wrist flicking action. In order to get all the coordination - you have to do this drill - flicking the ball across the body all the time until you do it so that the balls really spins and you give it a really good flick with control from one hand to the other. Once you've got it, you keep doing it for years until you've nailed it 100% in your bowling.

You have to expect it to go every when you start out and you have to realise this is probably the most difficult thing to do in cricket and the one thing you have to practice more than any of the other disciplines. The other thing you need to do is focus on the 'Stand Start' that is demonstrated in the video I sent you before. This is the stand start demonstrated by me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAWfGMinm3Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xh0rPjlfCk

Hope this helps and hope to see you on the forum with more links to your youtube videos.

Dave

Have you had a look at the Beau Casson video on you-tube and tried those drills? I think they may help both aspects, if you get the power through the crease part right it might be the case that the accuracy will be improved.
Heh, I was actually doing the standing delivery one. It seemed the logical thing to do to get used to the faster action required when a proper stride length was present in my action. I guess I just have not practiced it enough for it to transfer every well to the action with a full approach. I haven't been doing any of the other ones though. I shall have to look into doing them.

Yes, very much so. I think I one ball exactly right the other day, as at the moment of delivery my entire body felt like a taught elastic band that exploded putting all the energy on the all. It was much quicker than my usual ball and turned just as much as my slower deliveries.

Heh, I was actually doing the standing delivery one. It seemed the logical thing to do to get used to the faster action required when a proper stride length was present in my action. I guess I just have not practiced it enough for it to transfer every well to the action with a full approach. I haven't been doing any of the other ones though. I shall have to look into doing them.

Yes, very much so. I think I one ball exactly right the other day, as at the moment of delivery my entire body felt like a taught elastic band that exploded putting all the energy on the all. It was much quicker than my usual ball and turned just as much as my slower deliveries.

Is that my whip analogy you're referring to there EOW?

Back