Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Three)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Three)

I think this came from trying to relax too much causing me to slow everything down. So hopefully a more efficient action and better weight transfer will improve speed without too much more effort. Thanks again Jim and Doc for the help.

speed is the easy factor to blame for batsmen playing you easily, i used to think it was the only factor. but if you take it back to basics and listen to the most simple Warney wisdoms, then youll hear him constantly referring to "deceiving the batsman in flight". youll hear the exact same from Jenner, and in the UK the entire Sky Sports commentary team talks endlessly about flight when Swann is bowling.

if you deceive the batsman in flight then speed is almost a non issue. the batsmans feet (and head) will be poorly positioned, and its easy for the ball to beat the bat or for a miscued shot. so extra speed isnt necessarily a requirement (its certainly nice if you can bowl faster and still turn the ball big though) provided you spin the ball hard with good seam discipline and land it on a good length. drift and dip, supported by turn, will take care of most club batsmen at any speed. i bowled my slowest spell in a match ever on Sunday and caused as many problems in my first 2 overs as i ever have, including a wicket. purely because i had consistency in line and length, and was spinning the ball hard.

doctortran - fantastic post!! im going to try out some of those tips this week if i get the time in between matches. the back leg drive makes an enormous amount of sense, although isnt something i had ever really considered. my old action used the back leg a lot, but as with chippybens action my body and head were a long way back over the rear leg, rather than centered, so i didnt have any rotation, in combination with being front-on and opening my chest out very early. so i reckon i might be able to link that in with my new action and make it work better and get back to the pace i was at previously very quickly (40+mph)

We aint been doin much bowling practise other than indoor comp and the odd net session the last month. But trials are on soon and my sons going to a new club so we are starting to step it up a bit now.

I heard steves smiths old man on the radio saying he would spend half an hour to an hour with steve most days during his teens doing some cricket training. He is a level 2 coach so he knew what he was doing. But when you think about it he did not take up legspin till he was 13 so he has only had 7 or so years to develop. But then again so did warne i suppose.

Lot of talk that the young legspinner from Qld with the name starting with z is a better bowler than smith, so it might be a good season to watch some qld v nsw shield games.

So we go to the nets for a session and i have a bit of a bat against my young bloke.

First ball he gives it a nice big loop, it drifts a lot and i can see the seam spinning ferociously, it lands a bit shorter than i expect, i prop forward, it spins almost foot i'd say, takes the edge. I am gone first ball.

He is giving me heaps after that first ball but the very next one is his topspinner. That one took off the pitch, bounced up and took me on my ungloved hand and it hurt too. So i retired, hurt.

Jeez he's going good though. He bowled 6 overs at a target. 3 balls hit spot on, 3 balls were clunkers but the rest were a good mixture of leggies, toppies and a couple of his new wrongun.

I got some new adult cricket balls to practise with now he will be using the full size nut. Pretty sure the bigger ball spins better for him than the lighter one did but it is probably the fact he is growing up and getting more revs there.

He is a slow legspinner, but here's the thing, he seems to pick up pace off the deck and he actually gets more nip than you expect. That's how he gets me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back