Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Saw Beer as well. I think he was reasonable. Unfortunately we are spoilt and expect all leggies to be as good as warne or Kumble. He is still young and at least is being given the chance to learn. With warne he was quite accurate and his googly much better than warne's. It is a good sign if he does not bowl well and yet get wickets.

More impressive was Kaneria, who got 8 for about 114 in one innings. If I were you dave I would go down to the essex ground and see him practice. He has the best figures of the legspinners in county championship.

We had our club trials today where they grade my sons age group into two teams. It is still officially winter but it has been hot here for a few weeks now.

The two best bowlers there were the two wristspinners, my son and this lefthanded kid. They got more bounce and took more wickets than anyone really. This other kid i had not seen before but he was just as accurate as my young bloke but maybe he was getting a bit more bounce.

The two legspinners being the two most accurate bowlers was a surprise to some. my son got the best batsmen out and the kid acknowledged this with a "well bowled".

The nets where the trials where we know like the back of our hand, only trouble was today the breeze was at his tail.

It doesn't matter what team he makes really, but he probably did enough with the bat alone to make the firsts.

We have the school cricket trials in a few days.

played my first proper game today. a 40 over game between the 2 sunday friendly teams at the club. i was playing for the 2's, the 1's basically had the 11 best players, and we got whoever was left lol. there were 5 kids in the team, but in fairness they were probably the best players lol. i dont think we had a bad side, but the 1st team was very good, they had a fair share of 1st team league players, and the rest of my team said they were the hardest opposition they had all season.

so anyway, we were fiedling first. our fielding was pretty good in general, we got early wickets with the seamers. but their middle order was good, they had a big partnership that took the game away from us.

anyway, i got to bowl midway through the innings, i got 5 overs back to back. i came on when they had a partnership that was really accelerating the scoring. one of the guys no-one knew too much about but he hit a century in the end. the other guy is an opener for the league first team i think.

it took me an over or 2 to get settled, when i did i didnt bowl that well, nowhere near what i was doing on Thursday. i had a bowl for 30 mins prior to the match in the nets and it didnt go well. i couldnt find any rhythm. in fact i made a huge improvement during the actual match lol.

i got slapped for quite a lot of runs, in the end my figures were 5-0-44-1. just the 1 wicket, but i bowled the first team batsman who was probably the best batter in their lineup with the first ball of my 3rd over. then a lefty came in, and i actual enjoyed bowling at a left hander. my action naturally wants to stray leg side, so my accuracy was very good lol. i should have had 2 more wickets though, i got the guy who went on to get 100 twice. once was absolutely plum LBW, no doubt in my mind, or the wicket keepers. but the umpires were just opposition players and he wouldnt give it, despite my extremely enthusiastic shouting lol. then in the same over i totally beat him with the ball and he got stumped. he was MILES out, a good 4-6" i reckon, the wicket keeper agreed. but the dirty cheat didnt walk, and the umpire didnt give it. ludicrous decision in my mind, he should have walked. we got our own back later though with the bat lol, we had a stumping that looked miles out not given against us.

all in all i bowled fairly poorly. even my balls that had good line and length (and sometimes good flight and air movement as well) didnt turn much. the opening seam bowler, and captain, hurt his back after a few great overs of pace bowling, and he also leg spins, so he did that instead. he was bowling from the other end to me with a tailwind and downhill and he got the ball to turn quite a lot. so im not sure if it was the pitch or just that i wasnt ripping it today. i totally switched off with regards analysing my deliveries, which is probably a good thing. i just bowled my natural stock ball all day. i threw in one flipper that was well bowled. the fact i bowled badly and still took a good wicket and should have had 2 more has got to be a promising sign though.

i faced a leg spinner, who got me out when i was batting, and he was bowling from the same end as me and he struggled to get any turn as well (and i found him easy boundary fodder because of it, until he got me out lol). and he was bowling MUCH more consistently than i did. he ended up with 3 wickets, one was mine and was a soft dismissal, i ran down the pitch at him to smash a 4 and got stumped. the other 2 were tail enders. i 2nd highest scored with the bat and felt pretty good, i got 18 runs (which im sure should have been 22, i think the scorer missed a 4) on my batting debut and hit four 4's (of which only 3 were noted on the scorecard). apparently my favourite shot is the sweep! i scored 3 boundaries that way, and one with a square shot through the off side when i got one bowled at me short and wide. i got dropped once, came close to getting caught twice, and had a missed stumping as well. so i wasnt without some luck, but it was a good first innings.

one cool thing i learned today is that the club i play for has about half a dozen leg spinners!! they said that they almost never see any when they play other teams, its just strange that we have a load of them, and some look pretty good.

macca;362730 said:
We had our club trials today where they grade my sons age group into two teams. It is still officially winter but it has been hot here for a few weeks now.

The two best bowlers there were the two wristspinners, my son and this lefthanded kid. They got more bounce and took more wickets than anyone really. This other kid i had not seen before but he was just as accurate as my young bloke but maybe he was getting a bit more bounce.

The two legspinners being the two most accurate bowlers was a surprise to some. my son got the best batsmen out and the kid acknowledged this with a "well bowled".

The nets where the trials where we know like the back of our hand, only trouble was today the breeze was at his tail.

It doesn't matter what team he makes really, but he probably did enough with the bat alone to make the firsts.

We have the school cricket trials in a few days.

Macca has your family got roots back in old blighty, maybe if so - your son can come and bowl for England as it sounds like our youngsters are pretty useless! Good luck to him in the school trials, sounds like it'll be a walk over.

sadspinner;362677 said:
Saw Beer as well. I think he was reasonable. Unfortunately we are spoilt and expect all leggies to be as good as warne or Kumble. He is still young and at least is being given the chance to learn. With warne he was quite accurate and his googly much better than warne's. It is a good sign if he does not bowl well and yet get wickets.

More impressive was Kaneria, who got 8 for about 114 in one innings. If I were you dave I would go down to the essex ground and see him practice. He has the best figures of the legspinners in county championship.

My usual captain makes the point that s**t bowling takes wickets and I think this is acknowledged in wrist spinning at club level. I was surprised at how mediocre they were on those sky clips and I can well beleive that they were bowling wides and short balls. I'd love to see these blokes for real, or better see them play in a club level match just to see how good they are compared to some of the spinners in our team for instance. I'm not convinced that they're that good and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a case of it being like in a lot work/professional situations here in the UK..... It's not what you know, it's who you know. I might be totally wrong and that viewed on the tele they may just looked awful but compared to the likes of us they are miles ahead of us?

Macca,

Have you read the book 'Cricket - The Australian Way' by Jack Pollard. I've come across a link on the internet that explains....

"Years later came the flipper, a bosey or wrong-un which hastens off the pitch with top spin. Very few, probably not more than half a dozen, have been able to bowl it and all who acquired it did so only after years of practice. Bruce Dooland says in this book that the flipper was invented by wrist spinner Clarrie Grimmett in Grimmett’s fortieth year. Richie Benaud bowled it when he was in his prime, and was the only bowler in the world then using it.

Benaud learnt the flipper from Dooland, during his term at Nottingham frequently mesmerised English batsman with it. Nothing bowled in English cricket at that time could so completely surprise a batsman such as the flipper".

The interesting thing here is that the Flipper is described as a Top-Spinner and then it goes on to suggest that several other people bowled the Top-Spinning Flipper including Benuad. I always thought that Benaud bowled the back-spinning Flipper? Can you throw any light on these claims especially the claim that the Top-Spinning Flipper was one of Benauds balls. I thought that the Top-Spinner variant was unique to Grimmett and that it was pretty much lost to history and only described in Grimmetts old books?

Then there's this from http://static.cricinfo.com/db/ABOUT_CRICKET/EXPLANATION/LEGSPIN_PHYSICS.html

"What Benaud describes is spun with the seam horizontal, with the same grip as a legbreak. He asserts that the ball 'skids' on pitching. What Jenner describes, and most people seem to have agreed on, is a ball which as far as I can tell is spun with backspin and a very different action to the legspinner's other weapons".

Which similarly suggests that Benaud did bowl the Top-Spinning Flipper?

How's your article on Grimmetts 'Mystery ball' going?

someblokecalleddave;363619 said:
Macca,

Have you read the book 'Cricket - The Australian Way' by Jack Pollard. I've come across a link on the internet that explains....

"Years later came the flipper, a bosey or wrong-un which hastens off the pitch with top spin. Very few, probably not more than half a dozen, have been able to bowl it and all who acquired it did so only after years of practice. Bruce Dooland says in this book that the flipper was invented by wrist spinner Clarrie Grimmett in Grimmett’s fortieth year. Richie Benaud bowled it when he was in his prime, and was the only bowler in the world then using it.

Benaud learnt the flipper from Dooland, during his term at Nottingham frequently mesmerised English batsman with it. Nothing bowled in English cricket at that time could so completely surprise a batsman such as the flipper".

The interesting thing here is that the Flipper is described as a Top-Spinner and then it goes on to suggest that several other people bowled the Top-Spinning Flipper including Benuad. I always thought that Benaud bowled the back-spinning Flipper? Can you throw any light on these claims especially the claim that the Top-Spinning Flipper was one of Benauds balls. I thought that the Top-Spinner variant was unique to Grimmett and that it was pretty much lost to history and only described in Grimmetts old books?

Then there's this from Cricinfo - The physics of legspin bowling

"What Benaud describes is spun with the seam horizontal, with the same grip as a legbreak. He asserts that the ball 'skids' on pitching. What Jenner describes, and most people seem to have agreed on, is a ball which as far as I can tell is spun with backspin and a very different action to the legspinner's other weapons".

Which similarly suggests that Benaud did bowl the Top-Spinning Flipper?

How's your article on Grimmetts 'Mystery ball' going?

That Jack Pollard book was republished three times over three decades and each edition is different. Dooland writes a chapter in one edition and gives his ideas on legspin and explains his flipper. The quote above was by John Gleeson.

As you know in the perverse language of legspin sometimes any ball that goes straight on gets called a topspinner. Philpott can even call a backspinner a topspinner and we know what he is talking about.

Benaud learnt the backspinning flipper from dooland. I cant find any evidence he bowled the other "flippers".

macca;363627 said:
That Jack Pollard book was republished three times over three decades and each edition is different. Dooland writes a chapter in one edition and gives his ideas on legspin and explains his flipper. The quote above was by John Gleeson.

As you know in the perverse language of legspin sometimes any ball that goes straight on gets called a topspinner. Philpott can even call a backspinner a topspinner and we know what he is talking about.

Benaud learnt the backspinning flipper from dooland. I cant find any evidence he bowled the other "flippers".

MCC Cricket Masterclass - Vol. 1 - Batting, Bowling And Captaincy [1994] [VHS]: Tony Lewis, Viv Richards, Geoff Boycott, David Gower, Richie Benaud, Mike Brearley: Amazon.co.uk: Video

this is the video I've seen Benaud bowl the horizontal seam "flipper"

macca;363627 said:

So, it seems the more you look into the Flipper the more confusing the picture becomes unless you go right back to the beginning with Grimmett? Do you think it's relatively safe to say that the only person at first class level that ever bowled the Top-Spinning Flipper was in fact Grimmett?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back