Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

got the flipper perfect plus 2 variations of it that spin both ways as well as the straight one

its the normal backspinner i'm working on with the wrist going the other way the the wrong'un

also something i missed from the other post very interesting if we could get a proffesional's opinion

Flipper variations are something I'm working on at the moment - I'm bowling a Flipper with the arm and wrist twisted so that the ball spins purposely from Leg to off (I've called it the Gipper) If I bowl it really slow and loopy I can get it to turn massively. I've had a really good practice today with it and it's reaching the point where I'm tempted to try it in a match. Going the other way I looked at a few days ago, but that seems to require some really twisted wrist and finger action that my brain can't deal with as yet and might take some hours to get reasonable. It's interesting to hear that you've got them all sussed - have they come easy or have you had to spend a lot of time learning them?

The slider as I've said before seems to allude me, but I haven't really looked at it properly yet and don't feel the need to as yet. I'm more concerned in getting a really good Leg Break at the moment.

Just thought about your description of the slider "The wrist going the other way to the wrong - un". Yeah that kind of makes sense, but sounds really difficult - something for the future, I'll have to try and remember that as a starting point if I ever decide to give it a go.

the initial flipper took a while to develop, only bowled 4 in matches and got 3 wickets with it so it seems to work.

the variations have come really quickly, the first i bowled for the first time by accident in a match and don't seem to need to much practice, the first is similar to the leg spinner with the flipper grip pressed against the hand and keeps low and spins sharp to leg and the other is just the flipper grip bowled with a flick upside down like the wrong'un and keeps very low and spins sharply into the right hander, sometimes this has come out with top spin on instead though which just seems to sit up to be hit might try to start bowling that as well.

they're quite easy once you get going and feel to me like just the normal leg break though this maybe something to be with my naturally having a 2 finger grip as I spin with the middle finger

You are a little genius Dave. The trick is to spin it backwards towards your body. Before my delivery was like spinning across the body then when delivering it from side on the seam rotated 90 degrees so becomes a topspinner. I had thought that spinning the ball towards the body was the backspinner.
A few big leg breaks spun a lot even though were off line and length, but spinning backwards over arm is very awkward and as you say the ageing neuromuscular system and brain take longer to relearn new movements. It has to learn to spin backwards while at the same time flicking the wrist and propelling the ball forwards ie two opposite movements of spinning backwards while propelling forwards. My brain is crashing and had to start it in safe mode.
By the way my wife and daughter think i am nuts spinning oranges and apples, they think i have lost the plot. Yesterday broke a cup at table with a beautiful hand to hand topspinner, perfect seam position and the bowl got a nick. Shame i did not take the catch(the bowl)
Gundalf i also use my middle finger (the naughty one)to spin and do not use my ring finger
No cricket here in malta(i guess no one knows where that is) due to turf reseeding. Our wicket here is artificial turf on a concrete strip which is not exactly responsive to spin. I only took up cricket this year as it is not popular here and all the players are expatriates or indian and pakistanis that work here

Ripping-LegBreak said:
i dont get it, why do u spin the ball backwards for a leg break, isint that a slider?

Hold your hand up above you head in the usual wrist spinners grip. With your thumb pointing towards the batsman that will give you top spin. Now turn your hand 90 degress so that the palm is facing the batsman and flick sideways - that will give you your small leg break, then turn your wrist another 90 degrees so that if you stand there and flick it it will back spin towards you. Try it - get a ball and gently flick the ball back towards yourself from above your head just so that the ball travels a few yards out in front of you. You watch how it turns........ That's your big Leg Break.

Mystery Spinner - yeah it's not easy and it takes me total focus in order that I can do it. But Philpott says again and again it requires that you fully concentrate on what you're doing, it's not a case of it happening, you do have to visualise what you're doing - going through it in your head and really try and get the arm, wrist, flick and spin all together in the right sequence and flow - but man when it all does sync up it spins! He also says practicing without this total focus on what you're doing is virtually meaningless and I'm beginning to believe him.

Here's something else to try that someone mentioned on the old thread - reach really high with the leading arm and hold the ball at the start of the rotation higher than you would normally do - it seems to work for me. Try it and see if it has any impact on what you're doing?

mysteryspinner said:
You are a little genius Dave. The trick is to spin it backwards towards your body. Before my delivery was like spinning across the body then when delivering it from side on the seam rotated 90 degrees so becomes a topspinner. I had thought that spinning the ball towards the body was the backspinner.
A few big leg breaks spun a lot even though were off line and length, but spinning backwards over arm is very awkward and as you say the ageing neuromuscular system and brain take longer to relearn new movements. It has to learn to spin backwards while at the same time flicking the wrist and propelling the ball forwards ie two opposite movements of spinning backwards while propelling forwards. My brain is crashing and had to start it in safe mode.
By the way my wife and daughter think i am nuts spinning oranges and apples, they think i have lost the plot. Yesterday broke a cup at table with a beautiful hand to hand topspinner, perfect seam position and the bowl got a nick. Shame i did not take the catch(the bowl)
Gundalf i also use my middle finger (the naughty one)to spin and do not use my ring finger
No cricket here in malta(i guess no one knows where that is) due to turf reseeding. Our wicket here is artificial turf on a concrete strip which is not exactly responsive to spin. I only took up cricket this year as it is not popular here and all the players are expatriates or indian and pakistanis that work here

Good to hear I'm not the only lunatic that's got a day pass. I do the exact same thing, balls suddenly flying off because I've got the flick right ending up in the kitchen sink or flying across the table and what have you with an enormous crash!

I've just discovered an artificial wicket near me - I reckon they're the next best thing to the real thing - I'm hoping that if I can get the ball to spin on this surface I should be able to do it on a real smooth cricket pitch? That's the theory anyway.

gundalf7 said:
and the other is just the flipper grip bowled with a flick upside down like the wrong'un and keeps very low and spins sharply into the right hander,

This is the one! Are you right handed? Is this the ball that spins from off into leg for a right handed batsman like a wrong un?

yeah dave i am right handed, might try to upload my vid of part of my session last week though quality is a little off

mysteryspinner interesting to hear your from malta i toured there with the university earlier in the year and we had 3 games against marsa on the wicket, all the wickets round near me see to be the artifcial "all-weather" pitches too

gundalf7 said:
yeah dave i am right handed, might try to upload my vid of part of my session last week though quality is a little off

mysteryspinner interesting to hear your from malta i toured there with the university earlier in the year and we had 3 games against marsa on the wicket, all the wickets round near me see to be the artifcial "all-weather" pitches too

How do you find those artificial wickets - do you reckon they're pretty similar to the real thing? It's just that practicing on outfields and grass I get shed loads of turn, but then when I bowl in matches it hardly moves? Last night for the first time ever I used one of the artificial wickets and it seemed to me to respond in the same way that a good cricket wicket does e.g. I can't get it to spin!!!!

to be fair i don't seem to have any problem getting it to turn on the real or artificial wickets though when its waterlogged my leg breaks just won't grip, though i'd probablly say the artificial wicket is slightly easier to turn it on than an average pitch as its generally slightly harder as most have some sort of concrete underlay

We do not have a turf wicket here so hard to say, but when i practice on a dusty football pitch it spins more. Take heart though according to God philpott the drift and flight should do the batsman. Turn off the pitch just being the last rights before doom

I'll just have to see what happens. With regards the flight, with most of my balls I'm excritiatingly slow, but then one of the older blokes in our team who only gets to play if no-one turns up took 2 wickets throwing the ball at about 4mph - so who knows what might happen?

It's nice to start out your spell against a batsman with a ball that turns nicely just so as to give the impression that it's something that you might be able to do at will?

Gundalf do you have a spin coach and if yes does he say that you must spin towards you for the big leg break. Videos of warne, jenner and mcgill rather show them spinning the ball from right to left for the big leg break and over the ball with seam towards first or second slip for the small leg break. It does not show them spinning back even though now convinced that those are the mechanics of it even though i feel uncomfortable as it seems i have to throw the ball rather than bowl it

I'm not sure whether once you get all the action into place whether do actually appear to be trying to spin the ball backwards. As you say it does make sense if you think about it from a mechanical point of view - I think that when you actually execute the bowling action combined with the flick, there's flow to the whole thing and it becomes less acute and the ball simply spins at a far more affective angle to create the spin, so it may not leave the hand spinning backwards? But it strikes me that in just attempting to spin it backwards you get it to spin in that more acutely sideways manner that means once it hits the deck the rotation will mean that it will spin off more than the small Leg Break?

But again the words of wisdom from both Warne and Philpott - you devise ways that suit you, that work for you, so if it pans out this doesn't work for you but you're still able to get the ball to spin - what does it matter? This is just simply Philpotts way of learning the Leg Break and for me it works.

i don't think i spin it backwards when i spin my normal leg break at all, if anything i spin it from right to left as well.
Also i've never had any coaching on my leg spin at all, i'm pretty much self taught by watching videos and experimenting

Yeah, the spinning backwards thing has confused me as well. By its very nature, if you're bowling towards a batsman and spinning it away from him, the ball should go straight but low. The spin on the ball will counteract the pace at which the ball is bowled, and thanks to the Magnus effect will stay in the air longer and bounce lower.

One thing someone once told me that has always rung fairly true is that if you're using the 'Warne' grip, the ball will usually spin in the direction your thumb is pointing when you deliver it.

The only thing I can think of is that you are managing to get the ball to spin at an angle, what I think Philpott refers to as a 'small' leg break. You're bowling it with backspin, but also side spin. They do tend to turn a lot, I'm guessing as it's the backspin causing it to bite a bit more. Philpott describes this as a 'small' legbreak, along with the topspinning legbreak, but in practice, it probably turns more than the 'big' leg break.
That's my understanding of it, but I may be wrong.

how do u guys grip the ball, since im only 15 with a small hand my 3 fingers are close together, when i bowl i just flick my wrist, ive read you use your 3rd finger aswell, but because of my grip my 3rd finger is not involved, how shud the 3rd finger be positioned to aid the flick of the wrist?

If it works for you, stick with it, but my grip is the 'Warne' grip (see the youtube videos for info) - first two fingers 'up' on top of the seam, and the other two 'down' and bent so they run parallel with the seam down the side of the ball, your third finger resting on the seam. It's a bad description, but check out the youtube videos for a video explanation.

Ripping Leg-break - my sons a 14 old wrist spinner and like you can't get the third finger on the seam like Warne does.. His technique is to still have the Warne/Jenner two up two down grip but the third finger runs around the ball under the seam. It works well and as his hand grows he'll only get more spin as the finger grips onto the seam better. Whatever you do don't push the ball down deeper into your fingers or hand trying to grip better - your much better with it sitting in the fingers.

The You Tube and other video's mentioned are great.

My personal favourite though is put out by the English Cricket Board called Wings to Fly : Standing Up to Spin. The wrist spin section has Terry Jenner working with kids your age. Training drills, skills, all the variations, correct follow through everything you could want. Even shows how to bat against other spinners.

Terry Jenner does spin clinics in Oz and i was lucky enough to see one. He repeated and demonstrated basically word for word what is on the video. My son's spin coach, repeats all the drills and key phrases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back