Wrist Spin & Captaincy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin & Captaincy

I have exprienced at times my captains inability to understand the mindset or requirement of spinners but then i learnt from others that our club did not had regular spinners so the captain is not aware how to use his spinners in match situation.i use to discuss the same with him the same but it eventually was of no use in match and ultimately i started to organise matches on my own and being a captain for my 2nd XI team...i am able to support my bowlers even if they are going for runs....supporting ur spinners is very important for the captain...
In our wickets we have mostly batting tracks so the scope for the spinners to get spin is more in 2nd inngs......
To handle the spinner the captain has to support his spinner even if he is going for runs...spinners are the key players for any team.

You all mention how Wrist Spin is important, but us offies can do just as much damage. It doesn't have to spin 3 feet to bowl someone; it only needs 3 inches. I do however agree that there are trade off's between the two; leggies can't always burn down that quicker one and offies can't pull that massive off spinner (unless your Muralitheran or me on a minefield of a pitch :D). Each possess their own strengths and weaknesses and captain's don't understand the need for spin. My captain doesn't want to fill the spinner's spot left open, which is stupid, since bowling 20 overs of pace is just making it easy for the batsman to get runs. Yes, I've captained teams and I'm probably one of few people who understand the benefits of spinners and how they can change the flow of the game. Who else agrees with me?

joshie91;362813 said:
You all mention how Wrist Spin is important, but us offies can do just as much damage. It doesn't have to spin 3 feet to bowl someone; it only needs 3 inches...

Many apologies, I thought I made it quite clear that I was talking about spinners in general.

However, my spinner bowls leg, off and reverse when needed. It really does not matter whether the spinner spins with their wrists or fingers, coils or flights... as long as it spins and causes confusion :)

Liz Ward;362888 said:
However, my spinner bowls leg, off and reverse when needed.

reverse spin? is there somewhere I can sign up? :D is that the one that hits the pitch and comes back to the bowler? that'd be cool :D

joshie91;363003 said:
reverse spin? is there somewhere I can sign up? :D is that the one that hits the pitch and comes back to the bowler? that'd be cool :D

Yeah with wrist spin there's a few of ways where you can spin the ball backwards (reverse) Flippers, Sliders for instance - I think that's what Liz meant? You're joking about it coming back to the bowler, but it stalls very dramatically http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvix9j7IPgU

someblokecalleddave;363123 said:
Yeah with wrist spin there's a few of ways where you can spin the ball backwards (reverse) Flippers, Sliders for instance - I think that's what Liz meant? You're joking about it coming back to the bowler, but it stalls very dramatically YouTube - Clarrie Grimmett Flipper Wrist spin bowling A

i thought maybe Liz meant the spinner can also bowl reverse swing (seam bowling) when required. but back spin is possibly what was meant.

As they say, confusion is the name of the game. :D My fault... lazy language!

Actually, thinking about it, perhaps I should not explain what I meant because I am sure all interpretations are valid and I would really love to read more.

However...

Visualise standing at the crease and facing a spin bowler. This would probably not 'faze' you at all, being a spinner yourself...

Although, this is a left hander...

The next thing you know, he's bowled a Chinaman!

OK, you survived... [it's the mirror image of a righties leg break for non-aficionados]... your biding your time... then...

Out of the back of their hand comes a Chinaman-googly :eek:

joshie91;362813 said:
You all mention how Wrist Spin is important, but us offies can do just as much damage. It doesn't have to spin 3 feet to bowl someone; it only needs 3 inches?

It's not that we're particularly anti-finger spin, it's just that there doesn't seem to be anyone on the forum that's willing to write about and discuss finger spin issues. A few months back a bloke called 'Mousey' made an attempt at getting something going and there is a bloke out there 'Mr Offspin' who seems to be quite knowledgeable and pops up every now and then some good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back