Wrist Spin Coaching/workshops Thread

someblokecalleddave

Liz Ward emailed me recently with this. I guess with Liz living on the border between Essex and Suffolk and contacts with ECCC the venue will probably be the Essex County Ground indoor facilities in Chelmsford
Are there any of you out there, that are interested in this, I think it'll probably be at the end of March or early April. All of which is subject to confirmation and how much interest is generated in the event?

One of the other questions that she had was - What do we want - what would you like covered in such a workshop - how long would you expect it to last etc?

Post your responses in here if you're interested and we'll see if we can generate some interest.

Hi Dave,
I have been speaking to a coach [ex-Zimbabwe International] who would like to put on a spin workshop. Are you still interested, if so what would you like covered? Would you know of anybody else interested to attend?

Hour and a half drive for me so doable. What would I want to see covered? Hmm, someone who has bowled wrist spin at a higher level than me looking at my action. How long? Half day? Full day w/ lunch?

Hour and a half drive for me so doable. What would I want to see covered? Hmm, someone who has bowled wrist spin at a higher level than me looking at my action. How long? Half day? Full day w/ lunch?
Nice one, keep it coming. I know Liz looks in here quite often, if we can get some more interest going - this might come together.

Liz Ward emailed me recently with this. I guess with Liz living on the border between Essex and Suffolk and contacts with ECCC the venue will probably be the Essex County Ground indoor facilities in Chelmsford
Are there any of you out there, that are interested in this, I think it'll probably be at the end of March or early April. All of which is subject to confirmation and how much interest is generated in the event?

One of the other questions that she had was - What do we want - what would you like covered in such a workshop - how long would you expect it to last etc?

Post your responses in here if you're interested and we'll see if we can generate some interest.

Hi Dave,
I have been speaking to a coach [ex-Zimbabwe International] who would like to put on a spin workshop. Are you still interested, if so what would you like covered? Would you know of anybody else interested to attend?

Would this be for adults? My son is 12 and could do with some mentoring as has started questioning his wrist spin again, his excuse is he's growing too tall, but I think he's looking for reasons, wrist spinning has always been his natural bowling method so I think he should try to stick with it, but his coaches seem to let him do whatever he feels like at the time. I'd be interested in details if it's for kids, otherwise would he do a 1-2-1? Thanks

Hi guys, I am actually responding to need so let me know who and what you would like... and possibly where you are so we can try to accommodate you. If there are only a few, it may be cheaper to go nearer the Cambridge border... the choice will be democratic!

Personally, I only coach adults but Kevin is the representative coach for that age group Chinasmum so I doubt it would be a problem. However, the question you ask about your son is not within the remit of a coach but a biomechanist. I am happy to take a look at some of your son's videos [both pace and spin] to give you an idea of where he should be concentrating to maximise his potential. PM me if you are interested. Kevin does take one2ones and I highly recommend him.

I would be interested. If the coach knows wrist spin inside and out. Be good to have a critical eye and feedback on improvements. Also good to meet up with fellow leggies.

Would he 'allow' other coaches to come and observe? If so just let me know where and when and I will try to get along, nearer Cambs would be better for me, but happy to travel to Essex for a bit of coaching CPD

Absolutely Tony! Actually, if it is nearer the Cambridge border I may rock up too and be available for any biomechanical/performance analysis issues!! :D

Keep em coming - I'm happy to go to Cambridgeshire as well, I'll get in contact with Frank Farrington as well and see if his Dad is interested in taking him up. I reckon if Frank doesn't go my younger son Joe would come along as he bowls a little wrist spin, but mostly finger spin and he's only 12.

There's another wrist spinner at my club so I'll ask him. Not sure he'll be up for it, though. I can't even get him to read Philpott. "Don't like reading".

So guys, so far I have:

The bowling action - with focus on the shoulders, hips, getting up on the toes, leading arm and where it should end up.
How to put more revs on the ball.
Getting side-on.
Preparation - drills and exercises for wrist spinners - if any are specific.

Anything else?

Shitlegspinner, you would be more than welcome. You could benefit hugely from meeting the other forum members and your experiences could also help them.

Pure curiosity, where in Essex are you and are you a member of a Club?

So guys, so far I have:

The bowling action - with focus on the shoulders, hips, getting up on the toes, leading arm and where it should end up.
How to put more revs on the ball.
Getting side-on.
Preparation - drills and exercises for wrist spinners - if any are specific.

Anything else?

Any ideas of dates/times? I would like to come if its in Cambs; although I'm not technically a leg spinner, I do coach them and you never stop learning.

Back