wristy batsmen

wristy batsmen

Hi, i've often heard commentators say that a player is very wristy, I have observered that most of subcontinental players are very wristy, What i want to know is does that mean they are very bottom handed? And do they use their wrists for manuevering at contact with the ball or just before contact? I actually like watching wristy batsmen bat and i would like to become one.

Re: wristy batsmen

Usually means they play by rolling the wrists alot, not really smashing a ball whereas placing it, VVS Laxman is a good example, could smash a off drive but rolls the wrists and plays it through the midwicket area

I would guess that the subcontinent produces a lot of wristy players due to the amount of slower and spin bowling they face. There's a bit more time to get into position and it's safer to guide the spinning ball into a gap than try to smash it and have it do something strange on you. By the looks of it, I'd say it takes a lot of finesse to be able to control the ball and not give a load of leading edges and the like.

A very classy batsman , he has an array of wristy shots on both sides of the wicket, especially on the on side. Right Hand Batsman Stylish, technically sound and wristy batsman. Has a wide range of shots. Always plays with a high degree of confidence in himself.

Yeah I agree that wristy batsmen do look good on batting.
I also tend to use my wrist especially playing it through leg side- Long on,midwicket, square leg and fine leg.
I also attempt it use in the slip area for medium pacers if of course their are no slips.
Enjoy using my wrist while batting against spin or pace.

On Contact but generally it is the top hand that should be in control otherwise the ball will be in air with chances of a catch in the deep.
So u got to judge the field and bat accordingly.
With match practice u will get it automatically.

Watch some old tapes of Richie Richardson batting. One of the more wristy bastmen I've seen.

Viv wasn't bad at rolling the wrists either.

Arjuna Ranatunga was also a very wristy player. Mastered the controlled slash over slips in one dayers.

Back