Wrong'un as stock delivery

Wrongwrongun

Wrong'un as stock delivery

Hi I'm a wrist-spinner who has just finished playing club cricket for the season in NZ. For most of the season I bowled legbreaks as my stock delivery with the wrongun and occasional topspinner as variations, with some success, as I was 2nd highest wicket-taker in the team.

However, I've come to feel that my wrongun is by far the ball that I can bowl comfortably straight away from the 1st ball, and I can get into a natural rythym easily, compared to my leggies/toppies which I rarely have the confidence to bowl in games accurately.

I've never had 100% confidence in my legbreak - I even got the yips when I was 15 and have only started playing again 7 years later. However I have never had a problem with the wrongun. I was even bowling wronguns before I could bowl legbreaks when I was a kid.

I was wondering, if my wrongun is my natural delivery should I just embrace it, instead of being continually frustrated with the legbreak and just use that as my variation? Is there a place for googly bowlers in cricket?

Re: Wrong'un as stock delivery

sounds like you probably have a less conventional case of the googly syndrome. whereby your muscles develop to find the wrong'un as the natural delivery, and the leg break becomes more difficult to bowl. in some cases people find they simply cant bowl a leg break even if they try. in your case it sounds more like you still can, but its just difficult to do well.

ultimately though the leg break is the most important delivery for a leg spinner. we have discussed it at great lengths on this forum, most of the professionals and experts say the same thing (Shane Warne included) - the leg break is the stock delivery, its the ball that will take most of your wickets, and its the hardest ball for a batsman to play. the variations work because of the leg breaks that surround them. if you bowl 10 leg breaks in a row, and then a wrong'un (assuming you have a plan), then the wrong'un can be deadly. but if you bowl it every delivery then the batsman will get used to it. if youve got a wrong'un that is as good as a normal leg spinners leg break then there is potential to cause problems with it as your stock ball, and use the leg break as the variation.

there is no right or wrong way to bowl, Muralitharan does pretty well as a wrist spinner with an off-break as his stock ball. personally id still want to work on my leg break and get that as my number 1 delivery. maybe you just need to completely stop bowling the variations and focus everything on the leg break. have a search on here because there is a lot of advice for people suffering from googly syndrome, and some very good tips on how to overcome it. someblokecalleddave had a bad case of it, and sounds to be bowling at his best now having refound the leg break.

Thanks for your reply and I look forward to what others have to say. I also should add that I can bowl legbreaks properly in the nets, just not in the games. Perhaps I have the yips again when it comes to legbreaks. After a couple of overs of bowling googlies in the game we just played I had no fear of trying a couple of leggies and they came out ok (a bit too full though).

I guess the fact that the ball turning into the right handed batsman is easier to play explains why chinaman are so scarce. I'd be interested to hear from any about how they cope with bowling to mainly righthanders.

I can't believe there's a forum on wristspin bowling! It's so awesome

Wrongwrongun;395452 said:
Thanks for your reply and I look forward to what others have to say. I also should add that I can bowl legbreaks properly in the nets, just not in the games. Perhaps I have the yips again when it comes to legbreaks. After a couple of overs of bowling googlies in the game we just played I had no fear of trying a couple of leggies and they came out ok (a bit too full though).

I guess the fact that the ball turning into the right handed batsman is easier to play explains why chinaman are so scarce. I'd be interested to hear from any about how they cope with bowling to mainly righthanders.

I can't believe there's a forum on wristspin bowling! It's so awesome

Not only is it a forum for wrist spinners but we like to think possibly 'The Forum for Wrist Spinners'!

I had a season where I was only able to bowl the wrong un when I was learning my craft as I'd got the 'Googly syndrome'. I then spent 8 months of doing nothing but trying to get the leg break back and eventually recovered it to then go on and become the bowler with the best strike rate in my team - a wicket every 15.25 ball with an average of 4.05 using the new Leg Break, I'm hoping that I'll be able to better that this season?

All the advice and the evidence from my own experience suggests that your stock ball should be your Leg Break. The 3 or 4 key books that have ever been written on the subject in the last 80 years all say the same thing. I think as a wrist spinner and the fact that you have to acknowledge that what we do requires thinking about what we do in terms of development plans spanning years rather than months, you owe it to yourself to work on your Leg Break. Spend the off-season as I did committing yourself to not bowling a single wrong and working on that Leg Break and getting it working well. Do that and bowl the leg break primarily in games next season and compare your figures and look how effective you are in games?

Wrongwrongun;395419 said:
Hi I'm a wrist-spinner who has just finished playing club cricket for the season in NZ. For most of the season I bowled legbreaks as my stock delivery with the wrongun and occasional topspinner as variations, with some success, as I was 2nd highest wicket-taker in the team.

However, I've come to feel that my wrongun is by far the ball that I can bowl comfortably straight away from the 1st ball, and I can get into a natural rythym easily, compared to my leggies/toppies which I rarely have the confidence to bowl in games accurately.

I've never had 100% confidence in my legbreak - I even got the yips when I was 15 and have only started playing again 7 years later. However I have never had a problem with the wrongun. I was even bowling wronguns before I could bowl legbreaks when I was a kid.

I was wondering, if my wrongun is my natural delivery should I just embrace it, instead of being continually frustrated with the legbreak and just use that as my variation? Is there a place for googly bowlers in cricket?

Hey bloke, good to hear from a kiwi, after all new zealand produced the greatest legspinner the world has ever seen. Inventor of the wrongwrongun amongst other deliveries including, of course, the flipper.

macca;395651 said:
Hey bloke, good to hear from a kiwi, after all new zealand produced the greatest legspinner the world has ever seen. Inventor of the wrongwrongun amongst other deliveries including, of course, the flipper.

Haha yeah pity the Wellington selectors back in the day didn't fancy Grimmett. How are we supposed to compete when we give out best players away?:)

Yeah thanks Dave I've got the off season to work on the legbreak so yeah I'm not going to give up on it yet. The thing about the legbreak for me is that throughout the summer I changed my action and approach to the delivery about 5 times. Whether it was more roundarm, to high-arm with more topspin, top halfway in between, to walking into the delivery stride, to running in. That's what's really been the problem I think. I can accept a half tracker once in a while, but it really damages my confidence when I have to change the way I bowl every second game.

Wrongwrongun;395720 said:
Haha yeah pity the Wellington selectors back in the day didn't fancy Grimmett. How are we supposed to compete when we give out best players away?:)

Yeah thanks Dave I've got the off season to work on the legbreak so yeah I'm not going to give up on it yet. The thing about the legbreak for me is that throughout the summer I changed my action and approach to the delivery about 5 times. Whether it was more roundarm, to high-arm with more topspin, top halfway in between, to walking into the delivery stride, to running in. That's what's really been the problem I think. I can accept a half tracker once in a while, but it really damages my confidence when I have to change the way I bowl every second game.

Just stick with one approach, keep it simple. Bowl at the off-stump looking to turn it away from the edge of the bat. Practice on your own and just work on that line, as long as your length and line is solid and you're getting it to turn away - you should get some success - 90% if not more of my wickets use this approach and I don't turn it a great deal, just vary the speed and flight. Do that and as it comes together after a few months maybe start to vary it a bit with a more technical approach (Dip, more and less spin, different angles seam etc)?

Wrongwrongun;395720 said:

You have got the off season now to settle on a delivery style that suits you but when next spring rolls around it would be good to have a basic consistent action that you can repeat.

You have the wrongun down pat by the sounds of it , all you have to do is note the key differences between the wrongun and legbreak and get that happening. Basic is to have your palm facing the batsman as you release your legbreak, I'm sure you know that but it is probably more unnatural for you then the back of the hand wrongun you have mastered which probably has the palm more facing you with the elbow pointing up?

someblokecalleddave;395732 said:
Wrongwrongun, where did you get that name from?

I think from your youtube vid on it. you called it the gipper if i recall correctly? me and my mate who's also a legspinner think it's a really good delivery and we both can get down over 22 yards. i hope it's not copyrighted haha

Top work mate! Looks like this thread has re-introduced the wrong wrong un after 80 years of obscurity!! Did you get to bowl it in any matches? I bowled it in the nets a few times, but never got it to the point where I felt I could un-leash it in a match, I got to wrapped up in re-learning my Leg - Break. This is one of Grimmetts variations, so you could argue that it's a Kiwi original?

What do you reckon to this idea that we break up the wrist spin thread into a Spin Bowling forum with the threads covering all the different aspects? I reckon it's a good idea - what do you reckon to just calling the thread 'Spin Bowling' or do you reckon the title of the thread should be something along the lines of 'Leg-spin and Off-Spin Bowling'?

Here's some ideas for the initial threads..........

Up and coming Leg-spinners
The Wrong Un
The Leg- Break
The Big Leg-Break
The Flipper
The Flipper - Off-spin variation
The Flipper - Top-spin variation
The Flipper - The Wrong Wrong Un
The Slider
Clarrie Grimmett the genius of Wrist Spin
Links to Leg-spin videos
The Googly Syndrome
Top Ten Tips for Leg-Spinners
Leg-spin Grip
Leg-spin line and length
Leg-spin flight and speed

Beginners questions.

History, great legspinners of the past from bosquanet to warne.

Technical stuff. How to make the ball do some tricks.

Match and net reports. bowlers tell personal development stories, progress reports etc.

Videos.

That is how the thread divides itself at the moment. Just remember I knew you before you become someblokecalledadolf.

macca;395857 said:
Beginners questions.

History, great legspinners of the past from bosquanet to warne.

Technical stuff. How to make the ball do some tricks.

Match and net reports. bowlers tell personal development stories, progress reports etc.

Videos.

That is how the thread divides itself at the moment. Just remember I knew you before you become someblokecalledadolf.

Achtung - You Vill do vhat I say ven I am ze fuhrer!!!

someblokecalleddave;395859 said:
Achtung - You Vill do vhat I say ven I am ze fuhrer!!!

Ya volt mein kommandant.

There was a story published a few weeks ago, well before april 1st, about how hitler got interested in cricket when he was in his pre-war anglophile period. They reckon he wanted some rule changes though like no pads or gloves! In the end he declared it a decadent pastime, which of course it is.

someblokecalleddave;395853 said:

The Wrong Un
The Leg- Break
The Big Leg-Break
The Flipper
The Slider
Links to Leg-spin videos
The Googly Syndrome
Leg-spin Grip
Leg-spin line and length

im assuming these will all be sticky topics?

id probably keep it a little more concise than that....

Leg Spin Fundamentals (inc. Grip, Line and Length, Flight, etc)
Leg Breaks
Wrong'un
Flippers (inc. off-spin, top-spin and wrong wrong'un variations)
Sliders (inc. zooter)
Links to Leg Spin videos
The Googly Syndrome
Match and Net Reports

moderation will probably need to be quite strict, else we will get into discussions on these threads and they will end up 50 pages long lol. the stickies would need to be extremely to-the-point, and any side discussion would have to take place in a new thread that isnt stickied. then any interesting posts can always be moved/copied into the relevant stickies anyway.

i think its important that if we have our own forum, that we use the forum to its full potential. simply having a dozen threads that we use ALL the time makes it hard to navigate. its much more useful for us to start new threads.

if there is a specific question to ask, rather than jumping straight to the relevant sticky, start a new thread and then any good posts can get moved to the sticky later. this will mean hundreds of threads with more specific subjects. rather than a dozen threads with 100 subjects contained within each.

e.g. someone is curious about generating drift. they start a new thread on it rather than heading straight for the "fundamentals" thread. if the answers in their own thread are useful then the question and the useful answers can be moved into the fundamentals thread. ultimately though if we use the forum properly then the search function alone will give people the information they require without really having the need for the stickies.

Jim2109;395861 said:
im assuming these will all be sticky topics?

id probably keep it a little more concise than that....

Leg Spin Fundamentals (inc. Grip, Line and Length, Flight, etc)
Leg Breaks
Wrong'un
Flippers (inc. off-spin, top-spin and wrong wrong'un variations)
Sliders (inc. zooter)
Links to Leg Spin videos
The Googly Syndrome
Match and Net Reports

moderation will probably need to be quite strict, else we will get into discussions on these threads and they will end up 50 pages long lol. the stickies would need to be extremely to-the-point, and any side discussion would have to take place in a new thread that isnt stickied. then any interesting posts can always be moved/copied into the relevant stickies anyway.

i think its important that if we have our own forum, that we use the forum to its full potential. simply having a dozen threads that we use ALL the time makes it hard to navigate. its much more useful for us to start new threads.

if there is a specific question to ask, rather than jumping straight to the relevant sticky, start a new thread and then any good posts can get moved to the sticky later. this will mean hundreds of threads with more specific subjects. rather than a dozen threads with 100 subjects contained within each.

e.g. someone is curious about generating drift. they start a new thread on it rather than heading straight for the "fundamentals" thread. if the answers in their own thread are useful then the question and the useful answers can be moved into the fundamentals thread. ultimately though if we use the forum properly then the search function alone will give people the information they require without really having the need for the stickies.

In that case rather than designate threads as being stickies (I'm gonna have to look up what that means exactly) maybe we'll just let it grow in an organic manner?

Just checked it out - the stickies stay at the top, yeah maybe we'll cut them down to a handful as you suggest?

someblokecalleddave;395853 said:
Top work mate! Looks like this thread has re-introduced the wrong wrong un after 80 years of obscurity!! Did you get to bowl it in any matches? I bowled it in the nets a few times, but never got it to the point where I felt I could un-leash it in a match, I got to wrapped up in re-learning my Leg - Break. This is one of Grimmetts variations, so you could argue that it's a Kiwi original?

What do you reckon to this idea that we break up the wrist spin thread into a Spin Bowling forum with the threads covering all the different aspects? I reckon it's a good idea - what do you reckon to just calling the thread 'Spin Bowling' or do you reckon the title of the thread should be something along the lines of 'Leg-spin and Off-Spin Bowling'?

The Wrong Un
The Leg- Break
The Big Leg-Break
The Flipper
The Slider
Links to Leg-spin videos
The Googly Syndrome
Leg-spin Grip
Leg-spin line and length

Didn't bowl it in any games cos I really wasn't bowling my legbreaks very well, no confidence to even contemplate bowling one in a game. My mate and I have bowled it to each other over roughly 22 yerds on grass and I've bowled it in the nets a couple times when I've been bowling my leggies pretty well and I feel like I can bowl anything. I've noticed when I bowled it short accidently, it would zip right through, really low to the offside, I'm guessing from the topspin imparted by my thumb and body. That was bowling using a pretty high action, I don't remember trying it with a round arm action. I'm not too worried about it though I just want to get my legbreak right

Ultimately you should focus on the Leg-Break because most batsmen are right-handed and you need a ball that turns away from the edge of the bat.

But as a quicker ball amongst your deliveries it's a useful delivery - here my 8 year old son has bowled a series of slow balls, mostly slightly leg-side and then out of no-where he offers this ball up outside the off-stump and a bit faster......... YouTube - Joe's revenge.avi

Nice he looks like a promising wrist spinner then if he can bowl a wrong un at that age! I had forgotten about this thread, thanks for bumping it. Currently it's winter down under so haven't been able to bowl much.

The only bowling I've done was filling in for an indoor cricket team when we got drunk before the match. I bowled pretty well as the bottle of scrumpy I had calmed my nerves. Also I do cleaning at a school as a part time job while at uni and a couple of times I've finished work early and got out my cricket ball and been working on my leggies in the corridor.

I'm using my wrist way more than I did during last season, and am spinning the ball toward 1st slip rather than using my fingers to impart sidespin. I find that I get inserve aswell as turn with the smaller leggie, compared to the bigger leggie.
I'm just happy to be able to bowl any kind of leggie at the moment rather than worrying about having two different leggies.

Also I started to bowl lefthanded with a tennis ball just for fun and have actually worked on bowling a decent wrongun with a real cricket ball over roughly 20yards or so. The useful part of this is that when you bowl or kick with your wrong hand or foot you have to rely, in my opinion, on 90% technique 10% power, rather then say 60/40 with your natural side.

I found that when I learned to spiral kick a rugby ball with my wrong foot it helped me with my good side too as I would remember the "steps" I had to take when kicking off my bad side. I've started doing this with my bowling and I already I've found that I'm not as side on when bowling righthanded as opposed to lefthanded, by using a mirror to see my reflection of me "bowling". So others may find this exercise useful when trying to solve technical problems with their action.

Back