DVCA Off-Season 2021

From the website, the following clubs after a coach for next season -

Rosanna
Bundoora
Eltham
Hurstbridge
Thomastown United
Laurimar

Pretty sure Kenroy had finished up at Plenty as well but they are yet to advertise.

From the website, the following clubs after a coach for next season -

Rosanna
Bundoora
Eltham
Hurstbridge
Thomastown United
Laurimar

Pretty sure Kenroy had finished up at Plenty as well but they are yet to advertise.
Laurimar would be the best coaching position open there.
Good club and some good young players and a few seasoned vets.
Truly unlucky not to be in Money Shield.
Biggest cricket victims of Covid.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kenroy got thrown a lot of money from Rosebank to “coach” them.

Henry Tyler stepping down as captain/coach of Banyule. Done a very good job at the helm, but you’d think he’d cured cancer going off some of the comments on his Facebook post. Nevertheless, will be interesting to see if he continues next season in purely a playing capacity.

Last edited:
Henry Tyler stepping down as captain/coach of Banyule. Done a very good job at the helm, but you’d think he’d cured cancer going off some of the comments on his Facebook post. Nevertheless, will be interesting to see if he continues next season in purely a playing capacity.

Fairly reasonable stint, you would think he has had offers from elsewhere?

How many blokes in the DVCA would you actually want coaching your club?

Fairly reasonable stint, you would think he has had offers from elsewhere?

How many blokes in the DVCA would you actually want coaching your club?
The role of the coach has diminished somewhat in the lower shield grades. Not too sure how the club coach goes in Barclay sides. Are there any standouts there?

The role of the coach has diminished somewhat in the lower shield grades. Not too sure how the club coach goes in Barclay sides. Are there any standouts there?

I am a firm believer that the role of a coach should be as a facilitator.
Facilitating training and ensuring all that goes ahead, off field with the committee etc.
If you’re fortunate enough to have skills coaches that will assist your players. Mainly technical issues that can be fixed through training etc.

But cricket performance on the field is driven by the players. Development comes from experience and mentoring.

I don't think you can play and coach at the same time effectively. You end up as Kamikazee says, a training facilitator. You're naturally going to be too worried about your own game to concentrate on others games. Additionally, a playing coach is unable to get around to grounds and see how other teams are performing. I think that's a massive point that just gets overlooked by most. The coach, who usually heads selection, doesn't see that fantastic spell of bowling that tied up one end for 10 overs and resulted in 3 dropped catches, all he sees is the results of the other bloke bowling who's picked up 4/50.

If you really want to get better you have to get 1 on 1 coaching but they cost a fair amount of money but worth it. At training no Matter how good of a coach you are you can't look after 40 players at once.

If you really want to get better you have to get 1 on 1 coaching but they cost a fair amount of money but worth it. At training no Matter how good of a coach you are you can't look after 40 players at once.
Long time since I’ve been here and I’m not about to make it a habit. However up at Reccc we have a club coach (Ross Davies), a coach for the ones (Darren Ward), a coach for the Two’s in Tom MacDonald and John Jackson, and club Captains with assistance from a few old wise heads helping with the lower grades. Has worked extremely well since we did the double drop, and combined with investing in the clubs youth, we now have a sustainable model that has brought success.

Just my two bobs worth.

Long time since I’ve been here and I’m not about to make it a habit. However up at Reccc we have a club coach (Ross Davies), a coach for the ones (Darren Ward), a coach for the Two’s in Tom MacDonald and John Jackson, and club Captains with assistance from a few old wise heads helping with the lower grades. Has worked extremely well since we did the double drop, and combined with investing in the clubs youth, we now have a sustainable model that has brought success.

Just my two bobs worth.
Darren Ward or Scott Morrison? Dead ringer.

Dates released for the upcoming season. One dayers for the opening two rounds, Melbourne Cup weekend, immediately before/after Christmas and Australia Day weekend. Two day cricket for the other remaining fixtures. All looks quite sound and logical to me.

Attachments

• 346E80EA-9A57-4593-B7C1-09CD386CDA8E.jpeg
    346E80EA-9A57-4593-B7C1-09CD386CDA8E.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Dates released for the upcoming season. One dayers for the opening two rounds, Melbourne Cup weekend, immediately before/after Christmas and Australia Day weekend. Two day cricket for the other remaining fixtures. All looks quite sound and logical to me.
Like it. Typical comments about "cricket needs to be all 2 day" are living in the stone ages.

Back