2014/2015 Barclay Shield

What a disgraceful effort by both clubs in dropping regular 1's blokes into their 2's to save relegation. Not only does it screw with the integrity of B grade but spare a thought for Epping in Barclay Shield and to a less extent Macleod.

However.... The DVCA have got blood on their hands with this. They were the ones who changed the structure a few years ago to stop this practise.... Well congratulations DVCA have well and truly ************ up... When we change to 3 divisions make the right decison and go back to Reserve grades and piss off this relegation shit for 2's and then we don't have this problem anymore

I reckon they should have a rule for how many blokes u can drop in the final 1 or 2 rounds or something like if a bloke is in the top 2 for averages for batting/bowling in A grade for that year they cant be dropped in the final 2 rounds or something.

If we bring in the above suggestion it could work. Not a big fan of reserve grades tbh unless they also have their own relegation/promotion system.

Last edited:
I reckon they should have a rule for how many blokes u can drop in the final 1 or 2 rounds or something like if a bloke is in the top 2 for averages for batting/bowling in A grade for that year they cant be dropped in the final 2 rounds or something.

If we bring in the above suggestion it could work. Not a big fan of reserve grades tbh unless they also have their own relegation/promotion system.
simple way to prevent results anomalies would be to close the season with 2 onedayers as opposed to starting with them. That will at least sort out the outrights...or even worse- contrived results. As for teams stacking sides to avoid relegation....I guess you're really avoiding reality.

simple way to prevent results anomalies would be to close the season with 2 onedayers as opposed to starting with them. That will at least sort out the outrights...or even worse- contrived results. As for teams stacking sides to avoid relegation....I guess you're really avoiding reality.

How does finishing the season with 2 one dayers stop sides from stacking the 2s?

How does finishing the season with 2 one dayers stop sides from stacking the 2s?
As I said, it will at least sort out the outrights, which may affect DC and Epping. In other words it would at least take the edge off stacking....you could never totally get rid of it I spose, unless you bring in an ineligibilty quota.

This won't work - If you stack your side for the last game and win outright, you get 10 points. If you stack your side for the same period of time, but across 2 one day games as you suggested, you will win 12 points (6 points per game) and in effectively making the situation worse.

The BHRDCA require a permit to drop players after Round 8 - in the hope of preventing clubs from stacking sides whether it be to play finals or avoid relegation. A permit committee adjudicates on the Thursday selection night whether to grant or pogo each permit on each individuals performances and the reason for their omission from the higher grade.

The BHRDCA require a permit to drop players after Round 8 - in the hope of preventing clubs from stacking sides whether it be to play finals or avoid relegation. A permit committee adjudicates on the Thursday selection night whether to grant or pogo each permit on each individuals performances and the reason for their omission from the higher grade.

Given the issue of availability and players constantly going up for one game and down for the next, the permit committee would have some work to do!

Having said that, I think something needs to be done and perhaps the DVCA executive needs to form a group to look at possible options to address the issue.

Mill Park would be strongly opposed!

Given the issue of availability and players constantly going up for one game and down for the next, the permit committee would have some work to do!

Having said that, I think something needs to be done and perhaps the DVCA executive needs to form a group to look at possible options to address the issue.

Mill Park would be strongly opposed!

DEFINATELY needs to be looked at. It's poor form from Lower Eltham and Bundoora, they can justify it all they want but its still poor form.
However, DVCA needs to be blamed for this, the rules allow it.........

Diamond Creek will most likely be the biggest loser out of all of this, the weakend Lower Eltham handing 10points to Rosanna will cost them a spot unless they can defend 120 ...should they defend it, then the biggest loser from this debacle...Epping

Situation that enables a clubs whole year of hard work to go down the drain, because a clubs 2nd XI may get relegated is a disgrace

might also add that Riverside could be the biggest loser...should they finish 4/207,5/224,6/242 etc approx 18 runs per wicket (faith in the office lady's maths work!!)....they would go past Creek....but no Lower Elthams 2's are far too important

Spot on

Just playing within the guidelines set by the comp.. Been a long year and we did what we think is right for OUR club. If we are good enough to win it has no relevance to the B grade ladder at the top end as Whittlesea are 2 games clear.
Lower Eltham have also played Matt Salvatore who top scored in "A" grade last game as well as McKinnon who took 5fa in the 2s this match so looks like we were on the same page.

And Tongs, dropped 3 blokes

Not disagreeing with that at all, but it's a shit move and I hope your twos enjoy being destroyed every week again next year should they survive.

In reality though their (Bundoora's) result doesnt affect anyone since its Plenty. LE result affects other sides though.

Not entirely true. If Bundoora knocked off Plenty, and Macleod won, it would change the whole format of the finals as Macleod would go on top and play the home final v 4th.

Bundoora and Lower Eltham selfishly dropping players to try to fix results in the twos, has completely stuffed around the whole top four positions in our Premier grade.

And Bundoora, don't give me this crap abound playing within the rules, its not in the spirit and you know it. It's a blight on your club's integrity that you've chosen to go down this path.

Not entirely true. If Bundoora knocked off Plenty, and Macleod won, it would change the whole format of the finals as Macleod would go on top and play the home final v 4th.

Bundoora and Lower Eltham selfishly dropping players to try to fix results in the twos, has completely stuffed around the whole top four positions in our Premier grade.

And Bundoora, don't give me this crap abound playing within the rules, its not in the spirit and you know it. It's a blight on your club's integrity that you've chosen to go down this path.
Agreed.

They are sitting last and second last respectively because it's a reflection of how they have played this season. If you weren't good enough to stay in B grade wouldn't your club be better off dropping down a grade and being competitive? I would have thought having a competitive team and creating winning culture in your 2s, albeit C grade, is more important than surviving in the higher grade just because it is 'B' grade. Each to their own I suppose.

Agreed.

They are sitting last and second last respectively because it's a reflection of how they have played this season. If you weren't good enough to stay in B grade wouldn't your club be better off dropping down a grade and being competitive? I would have thought having a competitive team and creating winning culture in your 2s, albeit C grade, is more important than surviving in the higher grade just because it is 'B' grade. Each to their own I suppose.

The only thing funny about all this, is that 1 of the 2 sides will be relegated regardless...Lower Eltham most likely, they've had a shocker of a year, and they just topped it off by this rort.

I don't see why this can't work.

Since i am new to this comp and (this forum), i am not sure if this issue has happened in the past? If it has then its poor form, if not then let this be a message to all clubs that its not within the spirit of the game to do this in the future.

Back