2016 Icc World T20 Discussion Thread

I keep hearing this about the channel 9 commentary team, is it really that bad?

I'm probably being a bit unfair, although at times it does get annoying!

Not just limiting it to Channel 9, here is a few commentators (past & present) I like, and don't like....... sure to ruffle a few feathers?

GOOD:
David Lloyd
Bill Lawry
Ian Chappell
Tony Greig
Richie Benaud
Kerry O'Keefe
Michael Holding
Michael Vaughan
Tony Cozier
Bob Willis
David Gower
Max Walker

ANNOYING:
James Brayshaw
Ian Healy
Harsha Bhogle
Mark Nicholas
Ian Smith
Jeremy Coney
Andy Maher

Not just limiting it to Channel 9, here is a few commentators (past & present) I like, and don't like....... sure to ruffle a few feathers?

GOOD:
David Lloyd
Bill Lawry
Ian Chappell
Tony Greig
Richie Benaud
Kerry O'Keefe
Michael Holding
Michael Vaughan
Tony Cozier
Bob Willis
David Gower
Max Walker

ANNOYING:
James Brayshaw
Ian Healy
Harsha Bhogle
Mark Nicholas
Ian Smith
Jeremy Coney
Andy Maher
I liked Bumble's commentary but never liked his nose.

I am impressed the way nz playing,but as someone said when it comes to the semis u need pressure absorbing capability which mostly inexperienced nz dont have.Ppl why are u flooding the thread with comments on nz spinners.Remember most part of it goess to the captain kane because he is 24 and captaining his side at a big stage.Anyways my semifinalists are nz,ind,wi,eng.Not Sa because of poor bowling and aus are little low on confidence.Lets see what happens.....and finals should be ind vs nz.will be happy to see ind take the revenge:-D
I just checked my semifinal predictions before earlier in the tournament,and they were correct....:D.

GOOD:
David Lloyd
Bill Lawry
Ian Chappell
Tony Greig
Richie Benaud
Kerry O'Keefe
Michael Holding
Michael Vaughan
Tony Cozier
Bob Willis
David Gower
Max Walker

ANNOYING:
James Brayshaw
Ian Healy
Harsha Bhogle
Mark Nicholas
Ian Smith
Jeremy Coney
Andy Maher

Mostly agree but add Shane Warne to the annoying list and Ian Chappell to the Super Annoying list! All he does is criticize players like a know-it-all (he has been found out to be wrong on a number of occasions) when he comes on and preaches about the days when he was playing...

Don't mind Mark Nicholas as long as he's not talking about Australian players haha.

Love David Lloyd but he can get annoying if he is commentating the Associate Nations or when he won't stop talking about the bowler's speed.

Ian Smith is good for banter or capturing the emotion of the occasion but his knowledge of the game has to up there with the worst of all the commentators..

Ian Smith is good for banter or capturing the emotion of the occasion but his knowledge of the game has to up there with the worst of all the commentators..
At least Ian Smith is willing to admit when he is wrong, something nearly all current commentators should try and do.

Add Danny Morrison to he super annoying list, I've always said that a danger sign is if a commentator can't get a commentating job in their own country...

Add Danny Morrison to he super annoying list, I've always said that a danger sign is if a commentator can't get a commentating job in their own country...
Admit it! Danny is one of the entertaining commentators of modern cricket,It is that the others are paying him more than his country,so we seldom see him commentating in a Nz match..

I'd be a little bit surprised if Bangladesh pays more to commentators than NZ.
If you know it is the Cricket boards which pay the commentators,and I doubt if your country's board pay them money,dont compare with Bangladesh and dont criticise them.And no offense here at all,thought you were kind of rude.CHEERS.

Last edited:
If you know it is the Cricket boards which pay the commentators,and I doubt if your country's board pay them money,dont compare with Bangladesh and dont criticise them.And no offense here at all,thought you were kind of rude.CHEERS.
I apologise if you thought it was rude, that was the intent.

In NZ the TV station pays the commentators not the NZC.

The comparison to Bangladesh was a rebuttal of your point that he is receiving more money overseas and that is why he does not commentate in NZ. It was not meant to label Bangladesh poor, rich or otherwise.

In NZ, Danny is regarded as a very annoying commentator and does not get offered jobs here.

I apologise if you thought it was rude, that was the intent.

In NZ the TV station pays the commentators not the NZC.

The comparison to Bangladesh was a rebuttal of your point that he is receiving more money overseas and that is why he does not commentate in NZ. It was not meant to label Bangladesh poor, rich or otherwise.

In NZ, Danny is regarded as a very annoying commentator and does not get offered jobs here.
I dont think Danny commentates for BN in an international match.It is just that he commentates in Bangladesh Premier League,same follows in India.I heard BCCI pay him the highest for any commentator in the IPL,this shows the worth of him.I dont find a reason why you'll hate him.

I dont think Danny commentates for BN in an international match.It is just that he commentates in Bangladesh Premier League,same follows in India.I heard BCCI pay him the highest for any commentator in the IPL,this shows the worth of him.I dont find a reason why you'll hate him.
If the Bangladeshi and Indian audiences love him then great, Danny's a nice guy so it's good to hear him that he makes people happy and earn a living.

However, Danny struggles to find an audience in Aus, Eng, NZ and I'm pretty sure in SAf as well. In these countries his commentary comes across as very annoying.

One thing I'll give the BBL commentary is that by and large it's pretty good. Fleming, Ponting and Gilchrist keep things light hearted while still giving great insight.

They more or less show the direction the channel 9 team could have gone if they were willing to eject some of very annoying regulars.

danny is a entertaining commentator in my opinion he suits t20 cricket perfectly, sadly he only does ipl and a few international matches.

Back