99.94 World Cricket Quiz.

Richie

Staff member
Astound your fellow members with your boundless knowledge of this great game.

Here is one to get the quiz rolling.
Q: The first ever international cricket match was played between what two countries. As a bonus can you name the year.

Last edited:
No mate. You will not believe it when I tell you. US v Canada 1844. Forty years before the first Ashes match.

I'll go for 8 days... Aussie v England ?
Had I asked the longest in Australia.. you are spot on. This is the longest ever and it was in 1939 between South Africa and England.. a whopping 9 days.. and it had to be cut short even then as England needed to catch a ship home.

Morning Signman old mate. My morning at least.. your arvo. How about posting one of your own. I dont know everything about cricket.. far from it.

Morning mate {your time} yeah we're a couple of hours ahead of you... will have a think & get back to you to post one.

What was the name of the cricketer in 1953 who went out to bat in a test match knowing his fiancee had just been tragically killed in a railway disaster ?

Thats terrible mate. Complete blank. An Aussie?
Was really awful.

It was NZ cricketer Bob Blair - in a test match against South Africa in Joburg he went out to bat with one of our best batsmen ever, Bert Sutcliffe... As well as Blairs fiancee 150 other people were killed in the rail disaster too which was on Christmas eve.

Mate here's an article from The Sydney Morning Herald about it :
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...f-the-courage-of-bob-blair-20100321-qo5x.html

Last edited:
I lifted this from online.

Tangiwai was the site of what is considered to be the worst railway disaster in New Zealand 's history. It happened on Christmas Eve 1953, when the passenger train travelling from Wellington to Auckland suddenly plunged into the Whangaehu river at Tangiwai and 151 people lost their lives.

South African players tend to play for a lot of different countries... so I'd say it would be one of their blokes.

Back