ACB 2009-10 Contracts

el-capitano

ACB 2009-10 Contracts

Callum Ferguson and Graham Manou are the big winners and Phil Jaques, Shaun Tait, Adam Voges and Beau Casson the losers following the release of Cricket Australia's contracted players for the 2009-10 season.

Middle order batsman Ferguson and wicketkeeper Manou were newcomers to the 25-man list while opener Jaques, paceman Tait, middle order batsman Voges and spinner Casson were the non-retired players dropped.

Contracted players for 2009-10: Doug Bollinger, Nathan Bracken, Stuart Clark, Michael Clarke, Callum Ferguson, Brad Haddin, Nathan Hauritz, Ben Hilfenhaus, Brad Hodge, James Hopes, Phil Hughes, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Brett Lee, Graham Manou, Shaun Marsh, Andrew McDonald, Marcus North, Ricky Ponting, Peter Siddle, Andrew Symonds, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

Jaques, Casson and Tait cut by Cricket Australia - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au

Re: ACB 2009-10 Contracts

Manou is the interesting one for me-

and Brad Hodge too- so much for looking to the future with that selection! ;)

Well Hodgey is the best batsman outside the current test side and probably better than a couple in it

eddiesmith;348357 said:
Well Hodgey is the best batsman outside the current test side and probably better than a couple in it

Second that thought.

Interesting that Cam White has kept a guernsey as well, after India didnt think he would.

Laughlin not given a run, surprising that. so much for looking to the future.
The Vics can recruit heavily this year, with their guns having CA contracts.

eddiesmith;348357 said:
Ah- so there's your next test team draft eh? :D

I don't mind Hodge- but like I said- by contracting him, its a short term bandaid solution. I'd rather they gave a shot to a guy similar to Ferguson, or even retained Jaques, who can bat in the middle order and will be fit for the upcoming season. ;)

Hodge is definitely a funny one. You could definitely make an argument that he deserves it, but it just seems to go against the selection policy towards him previously. What's the point of having a bloke on a contract if you're never going to select him?

The cutting of Jaques is another odd decision. Granted, he is probably behind Katich and Hughes at the moment, but he'd be first in line as backup, and we could easily fit all three into the side with Katich moving to 4.

I also thought cutting Tait was strange. Maybe they want to give him another year to prove his fitness and his desire before they give him another contract, which might be fair enough. I mean, if his form warrants it we can still select him.

el-capitano;348355 said:
Manou is the interesting one for me-

and Brad Hodge too- so much for looking to the future with that selection! ;)

BabyBlues;348379 said:
Hodge is definitely a funny one. You could definitely make an argument that he deserves it, but it just seems to go against the selection policy towards him previously. What's the point of having a bloke on a contract if you're never going to select him?

Insurance in case the top order start getting injuries.

BabyBlues said:
The cutting of Jaques is another odd decision. Granted, he is probably behind Katich and Hughes at the moment, but he'd be first in line as backup, and we could easily fit all three into the side with Katich moving to 4.

Pretty doubtful now that he's been cut. I wouldn't be surprised if Marsh is preferred as the back-up opener now that Jaques has been omitted from the squad. It looks to me that the selectors don't have Jaques in their future plans and that's why he isn't there. Another reason might be his recent run of injuries. It's a surprise to me though.

BabyBlues said:
I also thought cutting Tait was strange. Maybe they want to give him another year to prove his fitness and his desire before they give him another contract, which might be fair enough. I mean, if his form warrants it we can still select him.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Needs to get a full season under him at the Redbacks so he can get back to his best.

el-capitano;348377 said:
Ah- so there's your next test team draft eh? :D

I don't mind Hodge- but like I said- by contracting him, its a short term bandaid solution. I'd rather they gave a shot to a guy similar to Ferguson, or even retained Jaques, who can bat in the middle order and will be fit for the upcoming season. ;)
The policy is about who will be needed in the next 12 months, possibly see him as next in line for both T20 championships and the Ashes due to his experience in English conditions

Overall, I'm pretty happy with that squad.

A.B De Villiers;348359 said:
Second that thought.

Interesting that Cam White has kept a guernsey as well, after India didnt think he would.

Laughlin not given a run, surprising that. so much for looking to the future.
The Vics can recruit heavily this year, with their guns having CA contracts.

I don't think Laughlin not being given a run is surprising.

He has had one good season (although only in the shorter stuff) and he didn't impress me all that much when he played with the Aussies in RSA.

Definitely one for the future but IMO needs to prove he isn't just a one hit wonder and he also needs to start taking wickets in the shield.

hodge is just an assurance mostly for injuries, like was said above. he might deserve a spot in the side, but the reality is is that there isnt enough room.
i would have had ronchi before manou, athough manou's last season was pretty good, its really been his only good one.
and did everyone forget nofke? i am taking this straight from a report from CA. he would have been selected in front of macdonald, had he been fit. he was seen as symonds long term replacement in the case symonds didnt make it back in the side, and as much as i would like him in the side (as some of you may know) i doubt that he will. nofke has had an absolutely stunning time in both SS and ODers. he got 50 something wickets and 600 something runs for christs sake. the only person who got more runs then him was katich, and at the start of that season nofke was still considered a full time bowler. over the last season he only played a few games after injuring his back, and after those games he ended up with a strike rate of 29 and pretty much nothing in the way of runs. in this report (on the CA website somewhere, not too hard to find, i just couldnt be bothered at the moment) CA said that nofke would be a walk in as soon as he was fit. he has just come back and now going over to the IPL this week. and now theyve dropped his contract! for macca! i cant believe it. and jaques! the people i believe should be paid to hang around and assure them that if they arent playing now, they may be in the near future if they up their game. as nofke comes from my region, and i have met him and even faced him (one of the scariest things i have ever done) there is a HUGE uproar about this. CA told him he was a definite and now hes just left high and dry. really nice bloke and feel sorry for him, i would rather have him then siddle any day. poor ************. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

See problem with Jaques, Nofke and Tait is CA paid them last year to sit on their ass and do nothing, they cant keep injury prone players under contract when players have now overtaken them and there is no guarantee any of them will be fit for much of the coming year, they get fit and find form again and they may get their contracts back, but CA had 11 temporary contracts last year and they had to fit most of them into full contracts this year, someone has to miss

As for Ronchi, he got dropped by WA!

eddiesmith;348580 said:
See problem with Jaques, Nofke and Tait is CA paid them last year to sit on their ass and do nothing, they cant keep injury prone players under contract when players have now overtaken them and there is no guarantee any of them will be fit for much of the coming year, they get fit and find form again and they may get their contracts back, but CA had 11 temporary contracts last year and they had to fit most of them into full contracts this year, someone has to miss

nofke isnt injury prone, this just happened to happen. and he followed the team around as 12th man, bowled for them in nets, went to team meetings, and did everything else a team member does, except for actually play. he has carried the drinks in so many games, yet never actually played a test. will it take another season, itll be his third in a row if he does, of getting 50-60 wickets, and like his last fully fit season get 600 odd runs and go from batting no.8 to no.5 and average about 70 for the season. by then he would probably be 'too old' (33-4) and rejected. get rid of macdonald and siddle. i like macca, but dont think hes a test player, and siddles probably gonna last a few more games until they notice that an in form experienced 300 wicket holding fast bowler is the better choice. its not as if he has any reputation from his past few games anyway, most of them have been pretty shocking, and his domestic form wasnt brilliant either. bollinger is a better choice, but even then i dont think i would have him in the team. i have to tell you, they damn well missed the wrong guy.

eddiesmith;348580 said:
As for Ronchi, he got dropped by WA!

oops. WA is my 2nd favourite team, but i dont follow them much. ive watched him a few times and havent noticed him, so he must have been good (if you dont notice the keeper, then theyre a good keeper). and when hes played for australia he wasnt bad at all. did he just suddenly go bad? must have been a pretty bad form slump to get missed on the contract after playing a tour of ODIs and a few T20s as well as getting dropped by your state side! hartley isnt looking too bad either, but like manou he has only had a good season, not a good career. a keeper has to show that they are willing to play for their country for many many years and that they will be able to do so successfully, they have the only safe spot in the team. one season doesnt do it for me.

Siddles domestic form wasnt great yet Lee is a great fast bowler? What game have you been watching? But hey England would love to see Lee unleashed on them again this year, it just wouldnt be an Ashes series without Lee getting smashed all around England :D But I must say that description would suit Lee to a tee, his last half a dozen tests were shockers and no domestic form :p

As for Nofke, not injury prone? He has always been injured and getting older which means its highly unlikely he will be getting any better at recovery

Just on the keepers, it says more about Haddin that the selectors dont feel he can last a year as the only keeper and Manou is the best around as the other keepers havent advanced well enough yet

Dropping Jaques is stupid and backward-looking. Hodge is just an uninspiring choice. Too old to figure for the future of our top order, and the selectors have made it pretty clear he's had enough chances.

Boris;348595 said:
oops. WA is my 2nd favourite team, but i dont follow them much. ive watched him a few times and havent noticed him, so he must have been good (if you dont notice the keeper, then theyre a good keeper). and when hes played for australia he wasnt bad at all. did he just suddenly go bad? must have been a pretty bad form slump to get missed on the contract after playing a tour of ODIs and a few T20s as well as getting dropped by your state side! hartley isnt looking too bad either, but like manou he has only had a good season, not a good career. a keeper has to show that they are willing to play for their country for many many years and that they will be able to do so successfully, they have the only safe spot in the team. one season doesnt do it for me.

Ronchi was dropped for the last part of the season due to very poor form. He promises so much but is just very, very inconsistent. Too many times he gets out after making a start or going for everything just far too early through playing questionable shots.

He has the potential to play a similar role to Gilchrist and be the type of player Gilly was but until he can prove himself with the bat, he will play most of his cricket at the Warriors.

eddiesmith;348611 said:
Siddles domestic form wasnt great yet Lee is a great fast bowler? What game have you been watching? But hey England would love to see Lee unleashed on them again this year, it just wouldnt be an Ashes series without Lee getting smashed all around England :D But I must say that description would suit Lee to a tee, his last half a dozen tests were shockers and no domestic form :p

As for Nofke, not injury prone? He has always been injured and getting older which means its highly unlikely he will be getting any better at recovery

Just on the keepers, it says more about Haddin that the selectors dont feel he can last a year as the only keeper and Manou is the best around as the other keepers havent advanced well enough yet

i dont want this to turn into an argument about lee but he is and will always be thought of as a great bowler. sure he isnt up to the 'legendary' spot like mcgrath and so on but not anybody can stay in the side for as long as he has, get 300 wickets (especially alongside mcgrath, gillespie and warne) without being a great bowler. his last half dozen tests that you are referring to werent that great, but he was still getting a wicket a game and not going for an over the top amount of runs, plus he was very sick in india and then he played with the stress fractures in his feet for a while, and that didnt help either. if you are saying that his speed is dropping, thats because it is, but it doesnt make him any worse a bowler. while bowling at the speed he is (145-159, still bloody quick) he won the allan border medal or whatever it is after having a season where he got the most wickets in a calendar month in the world. while at the speed he is now. and in his last ODI his first ball back was 148 km/h and improved from there, plus getting what should have been 2 wickets at 3.5 an over. not bad figures. hes bowling well in south africa at the moment, getting over the 150s, not bad for a man just back from injury. in the last ashes in england every aussie fast bowler was getting smashed around the place, so thats no fair comparison.
siddles a great bowler, dont get me wrong, but not the best fast bowler in the country to fill that spot. our three bowlers should be johnson, lee and clark until proven otherwise. siddle is too inconsistent, only one in every four spell of his is any good, and in no predictable order. otherwise he just sits there bowling wide outside off stump with the batsman leaving or smashing. he doesnt move the ball in the air or off the seam very much. only occasionally is he accurate, but not consistently. his action is easy to pick and tiring, with him dropping in speed drastically by the end of the day. and he hasnt proven himself either, so i dont know why people like him. he hasnt gotten particularly good figures, all very inconsistent, he cant bat, he cant field. like i said, great bowler, but not for the international stage.

nofke is as injury prone as every other player. this back injury was his first in three seasons. and i know he is getting old, but not too old for selection. if the selectors tried him straight away instead of other selections without any proof of whether they will perform or not he would have had plenty of time in the side.

Ljp86;348696 said:
Ronchi was dropped for the last part of the season due to very poor form. He promises so much but is just very, very inconsistent. Too many times he gets out after making a start or going for everything just far too early through playing questionable shots.

He has the potential to play a similar role to Gilchrist and be the type of player Gilly was but until he can prove himself with the bat, he will play most of his cricket at the Warriors.

ok, i thought he was a little better then that. like i said i havent really followed WA all that closely. thats what some players just have to recognise and try their best at that level, not everyone can play at that level.

Just a couple of points, Lee got spanked in 2001 as well when England were getting spanked and Nofke would have probably played in India but he was injured and Siddle got his chance and impressed everyone but you and has better figures than Lee

back in 2001 lee got smashed by everyone. he wasnt the best back then; inaccurate, inconsistent, costly, lots of half volleys, but still getting wicket after bowling at super speed. now hes accurate, consistent, economic, good line and length, getting wickets and bowling at just under super speeds. i know the windies dont have the best team at the moment, so the comparison may be a little off, but look at what lee did to them at the start of the season. he ripped apart the order quickly, including their world best batsman, and was bowling fast enough to knock out one of them before he hit the ground with a bouncer. not too bad. then he got sick and injured, which led to this so called 'bad form'. i think he will be in ashes squad no matter what. doesnt matter if hes a crap bowler know or not, but hes played many many tests and gotten 300 wickets and was the spearhead of the attack not long ago. the selectors cant ignore that no matter what they think, it is their duty to fill their roles and honour what he has done for this country by giving him a chance to improve his english records.
and nofke was competing for the symonds/mcdonald spot. mcdonald only got into the side because nofke was injured. and i like macca, but i have to say if you go by stats he hasnt really fulfilled this allrounder role.

Its a little hard to read but bare with me

Brett Lee since 2005
Mat 39 Inns 78 Overs 1525.1 Mdns 291 Runs 5152 Wkts 171 BBI 5/30 BBM 9/171 Ave 30.12 Econ 3.37 SR 53.5 Five 6 Ten 0

Brett Lee's last 7 matches
Mat 7 Inns 14 Overs 257.3 Mdns 42 Runs 914 Wkts 19 BBI 5/105 BBM 9/171 Ave 48.10 Econ 3.54 SR 81.3 Five 1 Ten 0

Brett Lee's last 7 fit matches (not including tour of India where sick and injured in Australia (3.5 matches excluded))
Mat 7 Inns 14 Overs 319.3 Mdns 63 Runs 969 Wkts 42 BBI 5/59 BBM 8/110 Ave 23.07 Econ 3.03 SR 45.6 Five 2 Ten 0

Brett Lee's first 7 games of his career
Mat 7 Inns 14 Overs 228.5 Mdns 66 Runs 675 Wkts 42 BBI 5/47 BBM 8/123 Ave 16.07 Econ 2.94 SR 32.6 Five 3 Ten 0

Peter Siddle
Mat 7 Inns 13 Overs 311.1 Mdns 92 Runs 802 Wkts 29 BBI 5/59 BBM 8/113 Ave 27.65 Econ 2.57 SR 64.3 Five 1 Ten 0

i included all points of comparison i could think of, and lee still comes out on top if you compare by stats (which i dont like doing, but seems appropriate) except for his last 7 games, where he has been both sick and injured, and those figures arent absolutely shocking like they should be. i put the last 7 fit matches in as a point of showing his form of late, while being injured nobody knows if he had bad form or not, and those 7 games of 'bad form' arent enough to be dropped if the rest of his career is taken into account. if the argument was to be made that they were siddles first games of his career, i included lees first games as well to the same amount of matches, and coincidentally lee debuted against india as well (although india may not have been as good as it is now, there is a point of comparison there). if you compare not by stats, you would see that siddle only has a good spell every now and then, and not consistently. otherwise he sticks outside off stump where batsman can leave him, which is where he gets his economy from (and lee is known to be and self confessedly uneconomical by nature, yet he proves just about as economical as the continual leaves siddle produces).
there are other better players to choose from anyway. clark should and will be a walk into the side.

Stuart Clark's Career
Mat 22 Inns 44 Overs 810.4 Mdns 218 Runs 2067 Wkts 90 BBI 5/32 BBM 9/89 Ave 22.96 Econ 2.54 SR 54.0 Five 2 Ten 0

Ben Hilfenhause's short Career

Mat 3 Inns 5 Overs 125.0 Mdns 26 Runs 366 Wkts 7 BBI 2/68 BBM 3/126 Ave 52.28 Econ 2.92 SR107.1 Five 0 Ten 0

Mitchell Johnson's Career (although a definite, just a point of comparison)
Mat 21 Inns 41 Overs 885.2 Mdns 173 Runs 2633 Wkts 94 BBI 8/61 BBM 11/159 Ave 28.01 Econ 2.97 SR 56.5 Five 2 Ten 1

i hope this proves my point with some clearcut stats based evidence. i think bollinger or harwood would make better test bowlers then siddle, and i have to say his figures are pretty good, but not as good as all newbies should be when they start, they should start high and slowly decrease as is the commonplace with pretty much everyones stats. if his get worse from here based on every other players records then he wont be in the side much longer, its not as if hes had a slow start and ready to take off like some players (like johnson). 7 tests is a long time and plenty of time to prove himself (3 tours).

So the stats show Siddle averages 27 after playing the 2 best teams in the world whilst Lee still averages over 30

Sure his recent form before he played decent opposition is good, they had just toured the West Indies! I wonder what figures Siddle would have got in the Carribean...

Back