Achilles tendon problem : caused by spikes?

Achilles tendon problem : caused by spikes?

This season I have noticed that within 20 minutes of running around fielding my achilles tendon begins paining to the point where I can only move at 50% capacity. It does not happen when I am batting or bowling, though of course when it comes to fielding of my own bowling I have ended up missing caught and bowled chances due to my restricted movement -so as you can see this is a doubly annoying problem.
However, what complicates matters is that when I play badminton I can move around freely and if anything my achilles tendon feels alot better afterwards. Seeing as the movements in badminton are somewhat similar to the explosive movements needed in fielding I think it may be due to that fact that I am wearing spikes in cricket. The shoes I wear for badminton are basic flat trainers.

I am thinking about going spikeless for my next game -although then I face the danger of possibly slipping and injuring myself or going half spike. I am also guilty of not cleaning my spikes after each game and have noticed that the spikes under my left shoe are usually covered in mud - could that be a factor?

Do you think this is a good idea and is my theory on the causes of the pain correct? Have you had a similar problem and if so did you get round it?

cheers

Re: Achilles tendon problem : caused by spikes?

I would try half spikes.

It appears your heels are digging in to the ground and your muscles are not used to the extra resistance.

You may consider increasing the flexibility of your calf muscles too. I assume your warm up and cool down include this area?

I've been suffering from ankle problems this season and I've been thinking that spikes may have something to do with it. More that they need replacing but I'd be interested in hearing how you get on without them.

Er no. I will definately start from this Sat though. However, I dont really warm up for badminton either and I am fine the next morning.

With half spikes, does that mean no spikes on the heal but on the rest of the foot?

You are oviously light on your feet when you play badminton, and that is the way it should be ;) You play on the balls of your feet a lot.

Unfortunately, this means your calves are activated shortened. If you do not perform developmental calf lengthening strentches afterwards, your calves cool down shortened.

Although this is not good, you can get away with it if your next performance is on your toes.

Playing cricket with full spikes would not normally be an issue but as the ones on the heels embed into the ground, they force your calves to lengthen and of course, they are not used to it. The pain is their way of telling you so :D

What you are feeling is not serious but if you do not listen to your calves you will end up with more serious injuries, accute or chronic achilles tendonitist for instance.

Remove the spikes on the heels and substitute with blanks, these should still provide a certain amount of grip without anchoring your heels. Leave the spikes on the soles, especially if the ground is damp.

Try to keep your spikes mud free :biggrin

Er bit late with my reply. Tried the half spikes method and it worked a treat. Felt alot light on my feet but also confident that I would not end up on my backside.

Cheers.

Half Spikes worked for me.
never felt better

Back