AFL Grand Final thread

B

Bluto11

AFL Grand Final thread

so who is watching this one?

have no clue who to root for. May just pull for Geelong to win, since they haven't won it since the 60s, or so I've read.

Re: AFL Grand Final thread

Bluto11;181713 said:
so who is watching this one?

Practically the whole country. ;)

Bluto11 said:
have no clue who to root for. May just pull for Geelong to win, since they haven't won it since the 60s, or so I've read.

You are right. Geelong hasn't won for 44 years, the last time they did it was in 1963. They've been the best team all year and I think they would be deserving premiers should they win. I'm tipping them but Port have also looked pretty good so we could be in for another great Grand Final.

Geelong for mine. I would say most would be going for the cats because Port are arrogant and a bunch of ferals. ;)

wait, the whole country watches it! :p

going to be a long night in the bar for me. should be fun, though I may need a nap after work so I can stay awake.

Well, that was not the sort of game we expected! :p

In the most one-sided Grand Final in VFL/AFL history, Geelong thrashed an embarassing Port Adelaide by 119 points in front of 97,302 fans at the MCG.

In what promised to be a great Grand Final turned into an absolute shellacking as Geelong ran rings around the Port Adelaide side, belting them in every position on the ground. The game looked as if it would be even early and Port Adelaide even had the ascendency for a couple of minutes at the start of the game but it was all Geelong from there as they broke their 44-year premiership drought in style.

GEELONG 5.7 11.13 18.17 24.19 (163)
PORT ADELAIDE 2.2 4.3 5.5 6.8 (44)

Goals: Geelong: C Mooney 5, P Chapman 4, S Johnson 4, N Ablett 3, J Bartel 2, B Ottens, S Byrnes, G Ablett, M Rooke, C Ling, A Mackie.
Port Adelaide: W Tredrea 2, S Burgoyne 2, C Cornes, T Logan.

Best: Geelong: S Johnson, P Chapman, M Scarlett, S King, C Mooney, J Corey, C Enright.
Port Adelaide: C Cornes, P Burgoyne, K Cornes.

Norm Smith Medal: Steve Johnson (Geelong)

Crowd: 97,302 at the MCG

I didn't expect the game to be that one-sided, so one-sided in fact that the record margin for a Grand Final would be overhauled so easily. I think everyone thought that the game would be close but it didn't even get near that. Geelong were very deserving premiers though, they won basically everything throughout the whole year, the minor premiership, the Brownlow Medal (Jimmy Bartel), the Rising Star Award (Joel Selwood) and their VFL side also won the premiership. It was good to see them win actually, while I would have liked my team to win the flag (unfortunately we didn't make the GF this year), Geelong were very worthy winners and I don't think anyone would dispute that. And it was probably the best way to break a 44-year premiership drought.

Couldn't have done it to a bigger mob of idiots in Port Adelaide. They showed utter arrogance all week, talking themselves up and trying to trash talk Geelong all week long. Port were embarassing yesterday, no question about it. They talked up their whole side but it just did not work and you could say they got what they deserved. It was a pathetic effort, no chasing, no hard running and they played poor, unaccountable football and what made their effort even worse was that it was in the biggest game of the year. I can guarantee that the other 14 clubs would have put up a much better effort that what was served up by the Power yesterday.

Anyway, take nothing away from Geelong though. They were absolutely brilliant and I don't think any side would have beaten them yesterday, they were far too good for anyone and were the best side all year.

Very deserving winners. @|

It was a great game even though it was a walkover. I just wish that Port Adelaide played better footy. It was as though they didn't want to play footy. They were very ordinary and it was great to see Geelong give Port Adelaide a bath.

pidgeon fan;182591 said:
It was a great game even though it was a walkover. I just wish that Port Adelaide played better footy. It was as though they didn't want to play footy. They were very ordinary and it was great to see Geelong give Port Adelaide a bath.
A great game?? :eek:

It was possibly the worst game I've ever seen!!

Kram81;182635 said:
Great game?

Maybe funny, seeing arrogant Port humiliated.
It was a great game. The atmosphere was electric, and I think everyone who went to the game enjoyed it. They mightn't of enjoyed the result of the match but I think most people were happy the cats won so well when it mattered.

Port on the other hand choked as per usual.

Yes the atmosphere was great and everyone was happy the Cats got up, but it was anything but a "great game".

not quite sure where this "great game" idea is coming from.

i thought it was a yawn after the first 5 minutes.

aussieman;182828 said:
not quite sure where this "great game" idea is coming from.

i thought it was a yawn after the first 5 minutes.

yeah the past two grand finals were far more entertaining

Back