Andrew Symonds- The Latest

el-capitano

Andrew Symonds- The Latest

Does he deserve a second- well really- if you include the Banger debacle in England- third chance?

CONTROVERSIAL all-rounder Andrew Symonds has revealed his excessive drinking was one of the reasons behind his dramatic fall from grace in Australian cricket.

Symonds, now set to be included in Australia's starting XI for Thursday's first Test against New Zealand, has exposed some of the background to the infamous "Gone Fishing" affair in Darwin from which he was sent home in disgrace.

Symonds told how had "turned bad" and started drinking too much following last summer's controversial Monkeygate affair where he felt he had not been supported by Cricket Australia.

"At times I was drinking too much and I wasn't a good bloke to be around," Symonds said on Channel 9.

"I had turned bad I think with the build-up of the whole of last summer and the things that had unfolded.

"I wasn't in a great place. Looking back now it probably happened at the right time that I got sent home and told to straighten myself out.

"I feel much better within myself. Even if I don't come back and play great cricket, I know that I have done something that will improve what I need to be as a person."

Symonds' axing from the national side also shattered his once great friendship with former best mate and Australian vice-captain Michael Clarke. He now concedes he had not shown Clarke enough respect - an apparent reference to an argument the pair had in a bar in the West Indies this year.

"I did something silly with him one night and I suppose I was a bit disrespectful to him," Symonds said. "That relationship is still alive, but to be perfectly honest it is not what it was. We are both making efforts to get it back to where it was because it's a friendship I want to keep."

Andrew Symonds admits alcohol problems | The Daily Telegraph

Re: Andrew Symonds- The Latest

I just don't wanna see Watson make way for him, steady improvement by the 27 year old (Watson) in the India series. But I want Symonds in the side, very tought choices for the selectors, very tough.

Re: Andrew Symonds- The Latest

Watson also has the potential to be a superstar at both, Symonds just with the bat, but a handy bowler.

Back