Anyone ever had Wisdom Teeth extracted or any other teeth?

Anyone ever had Wisdom Teeth extracted or any other teeth?

Im 23 and at the moment I have some wisdom teeth that may need to be extracted due to the teeth erupting into the gum and the potential for infection this scenario puts up.

Apparently the older you get the harder it is to pull the wisdom teeth due to the maturing of the roots.

Anyone ever had this procedure performed?

Re: Anyone ever had Wisdom Teeth extracted or any other teeth?

Never, ever had anything wrong with my teeth in any way. So no help from me ;)

Whereas other parts of my body... well you can't count the injuries.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;388584 said:
Im 23 and at the moment I have some wisdom teeth that may need to be extracted due to the teeth erupting into the gum and the potential for infection this scenario puts up.

Apparently the older you get the harder it is to pull the wisdom teeth due to the maturing of the roots.

Anyone ever had this procedure performed?

A mate of mine had his done in his 30's - got really messy with infections after the treatment.

I need to get mine out badly, got to stop putting it off, it's just when you hear the horror stories...

It's also bloody expensive, about $1800, I've got basic insurance which means no waiting a year for a public bed but no cover for the actual procedure.

What horror stories have you heard?

The older you get the more chance you have of complications apparently.

Rang up HBF today and it's changed, basic insurance now covers all hospital stuff plus partial costs for the surgeon, should be only a few hundred bucks hopefully.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;389039 said:
What horror stories have you heard?

The older you get the more chance you have of complications apparently.

Infections, black eyes/swelling, horrible pain for up to a fortnight. Also a very small risk of permanent nerve damage in the mouth.

Apparently it depends on how bad they are and just your luck with recovery, some people can even get them out at the dentist with local in the chair if they are easy.

Mine are growing straight up, sometimes they grow at right angles into your back teeth, but mine are impacting into the gum.

I must have been about 24 when I had mine taken out.

I kept putting it off and after a year of really painful cysts [resulting horrendous breath], caused by infection, I succumbed.

Went to St. Thomas' in London thinking I would have to have 2 removed but, as it turned out, they convinced me to get rid of them all.

Best thing I think I ever did. They were removed under general so I do not remember anything. No pain afterwards but it didn't stop me from milking it. I took the rest of the week off work and had everybody running around me; making me hot drinks [wasn't a problem], and meals [still could eat... nothing would stop that :D].

My only regret is that I waited so long. Not only could I have avoided the pain, my bottom teeth got a little crowded and once they are bunched, they stay bunched :(.

PS... mine were growing straight up into the gum too.

My son had one removed in the dentist's chair a couple of months ago under a local. He didn't even need me to pick him up afterwards and enjoyed the walk home; played rugby the next day. Again, no problems [well only one] and has asked me to make an appointment to take another out as he has noticed very slight crowding in his bottom set. He is coming up to 20.

His one problem? I'm considering getting him counselling... he has not recovered from his NZ dentist's sense of humour!

Went up to Perth to see my old dentist as the local one is useless, he's since changed his opinion and reckons to leave them in if they aren't causing any problems as it's not worth the risk. Suits me.

What happened?

Did he smoke?

He may have done, he died of mouth cancer last year, he didn't say that he thought the wisdom teeth extraction had anything to do with the cancer though. The Dr's said the mouth cancer was probably due to smoking and drinking. The wisdom teeth just went septic, he was never a big smoker so I'd assume that he cut the smoking while it got better? What you eat generally would have a bearing on how quickly you heal up I suppose - balanced diet and all that.....

Getting my crown and wisdom tooth that's behind it taken out next week, annoying to lose a permanent tooth that I've spend over 2k on twice in the last 10 years because it got infected again :(

Getting my crown and wisdom tooth that's behind it taken out next week, annoying to lose a permanent tooth that I've spend over 2k on twice in the last 10 years because it got infected again :(
Jesus that's a lot of money, my son was saying that here in the UK our dental treatment is the most expensive in Europe, 2000 dollars sounds very expensive!

I had a tooth behind my sinoses (yes, practically behind my nose) removed when I was 13. I always one less tooth than the average person so that's where it ended up. I looked like the grinch for about a week after the op.

Jesus that's a lot of money, my son was saying that here in the UK our dental treatment is the most expensive in Europe, 2000 dollars sounds very expensive!
And I'm probably looking at at least 1k next week to get it out because I choose to go under.

Australia, especially WA we earn very good wages but **** me the catch is the expense of living over here, bad for pretty much anything.

Back