ashes 2010

Re: ashes 2010

If I was an Australian selector, this series the Australia team would look different. This would be my team for India then the Ashes:

Simon Katich
Phil Hughes
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke
Ricky Ponting (c)
Cameron White/ Steve Smith
Brad Haddin (k)
Nathan Hauritz
Peter Siddle
Ben Hilfenhaus
Doug Bollinger

The time is now to get rid of North and bring in White or Smith. We need some firepower at 6. Hughes replaces North, Watson to three and Ponting to five.

Johnson out, I'm over him.

courtjester;405070 said:
If I was an Australian, this series the Australia team would look different. This would be my team for India then the Ashes:

Simon Katich
Phil Hughes
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke
Ricky Ponting (c)
Cameron White/ Steve Smith
Brad Haddin (k)
Nathan Hauritz
Peter Siddle
Ben Hilfenhaus
Doug Bollinger

The time is now to get rid of North and bring in White or Smith. We need some firepower at 6. Hughes replaces North, Watson to three and Ponting to five.

Johnson out, I'm over him.

dont mind the look of that...but i'd prefer Harris ahead of Siddle if fit
I'd also be tempted to give Peter George a go

Roy00;405071 said:
dont mind the look of that...but i'd prefer Harris ahead of Siddle if fit
I'd also be tempted to give Peter George a go

I'd prefer Harris to Siddle as well, Siddle needs time at State level to gain more skills and I think Harris already has ability to use the ball cannily.

I don't want to go into either series, holding my breath every time Johnson gets the ball thrown to him. I'm fed up with that and it's not fair on the other bowlers to be hamstrung when he has one of his regular rubbish days.

I'd also prefer that Paine was given another few matches to see how he copes with extended periods of test play.

Shame that we'll be stuck with

Katich
Watson
Punter
Clarke
Huss
North
Haddin
Haury
Johnson
Hilfy
Ruggie

How about Dirk Nannes, I know he's 34 years of age... But a very good bowler in the short form of the game...

^^ scrap that, I believe he retired from all long forms of the game...

I'd def. put Ponting & Watto lower and bring Hughes and Katich together...Get rid of Johnson and use White instead of Smith

yeah i'd consider White again at #6....when they went to NZ i thought that might be a good idea then. never let him bowl again though.

as for Smith...i'm not convinced he's test material just yet. still doesnt spin the ball much and well he's played 1 streaky attacking innings.

Paine IMO is a true test player. probably a better keeper than Haddin and probably a better batsman in variable conditions...however i believe Haddin has more shots and will score more heavily in batting friendly conditions than Paine. so thats a tough call for the selectors if both are fit.

hi everyone am new,
My team would be

1.Hughes
2.Katish
3.Ponting
4.Clarke
5.Watson
6.hussey
7.Haddin
8.Huaritz
9.Copeland
10.Hilfenhaus
11.Bollinger

12 Khawaja 13.Harris
Johnson needs to go back and learn his craft at domestic level.He's all of the place with his line and length.i know Copeland hasnt played much games but he's a very good bowler who bowls in the corridor,definetely one for the future.
This is my say for the day.

Roy00;405575 said:
Johnson + craft in the same sentence :confused:

broken up by 'needs' and 'learn' is about right though.

I think if Johnson went back to state cricket he might get bashed around a fair bit. He habitually throws down so many hit me balls. It would be good for him to have to work hard at that level.

And Troy Cooley seriously does not appear to be helping him much at all.

Beeswax;405598 said:
broken up by 'needs' and 'learn' is about right though.

I think if Johnson went back to state cricket he might get bashed around a fair bit. He habitually throws down so many hit me balls. It would be good for him to have to work hard at that level.

And Troy Cooley seriously does not appear to be helping him much at all.

Yes doesn't look as though Cooley is having much of an impact with him.Johnson's bowling in that 2009 ashes lords test match was the worst bowling i've ever seen by a front line bowler in test cricket.Johnson's good days are very rare.The pressure should be on him now.I reckon Sehwag cant wait to face Johnson.I don't think he'll bowl badly as he did against Pakistan in England but i dont expect much from him on that Indian tour.Stats and wickets aside our two best bowlers are really Bollinger and Hilfy.Harris got injured at the wrong time cause he did look impressive.He would have been the ideal first change bowler.Anyone knows what Harris bowling stats in his last 2 domestic seasons?Looking at his career stats in domestic cricket(not too flashy)i would think he has really improve of late.Its early days for Copeland but i just love what i've seen.

lethalhughes;405640 said:
Yes doesn't look as though Cooley is having much of an impact with him.Johnson's bowling in that 2009 ashes lords test match was the worst bowling i've ever seen by a front line bowler in test cricket.Johnson's good days are very rare.The pressure should be on him now.I reckon Sehwag cant wait to face Johnson.I don't think he'll bowl badly as he did against Pakistan in England but i dont expect much from him on that Indian tour.Stats and wickets aside our two best bowlers are really Bollinger and Hilfy.Harris got injured at the wrong time cause he did look impressive.He would have been the ideal first change bowler.Anyone knows what Harris bowling stats in his last 2 domestic seasons?Looking at his career stats in domestic cricket(not too flashy)i would think he has really improve of late.Its early days for Copeland but i just love what i've seen.

His good days are rare, aren't they? I reckon he has about 15% good days and other 85% are ok to horrible. Doesn't always affect his wicket-taking ability though, but his bowling crap can't help the others to take wickets.

Beeswax;405648 said:
His good days are rare, aren't they? I reckon he has about 15% good days and other 85% are ok to horrible. Doesn't always affect his wicket-taking ability though, but his bowling crap can't help the others to take wickets.

The only time u can afford a bowler like johnson in your team is when you've got a great bowler such as McGrath or Ambrose, as those guys dont go for much and still are pure wicket takers.Bowling is about bowling in partnership and Australia don't have an attack to afford an erractic wicket taking bowler,who goes for plenty.Wasn't that the reason why Krejza was dropped despite taking 12 in his first game?Its not like Johnsonis striking at 45 balls per wicket.Thing with johnson is he flatters to deceive with his good spells which i must admit are really outstanding but 80% of the time he bowls rubbish.I know i may get slated for saying this but Johnson was the main reason( not the only reason) for the ashes lost.Knowing selectors they may see johnson as being undroppable.A really poor indian series and i don't think Johnson deserves an ashes spot in November.How can any bowler average 60+ against this pathetic pakistan batting team in England is a mystery i'm trying to get my head around:confused:

lethalhughes;405651 said:
The only time u can afford a bowler like johnson in your team is when you've got a great bowler such as McGrath or Ambrose, as those guys dont go for much and still are pure wicket takers.Bowling is about bowling in partnership and Australia don't have an attack to afford an erractic wicket taking bowler,who goes for plenty.Wasn't that the reason why Krejza was dropped despite taking 12 in his first game?Its not like Johnsonis striking at 45 balls per wicket.Thing with johnson is he flatters to deceive with his good spells which i must admit are really outstanding but 80% of the time he bowls rubbish.I know i may get slated for saying this but Johnson was the main reason( not the only reason) for the ashes lost.Knowing selectors they may see johnson as being undroppable.A really poor indian series and i don't think Johnson deserves an ashes spot in November.How can any bowler average 60+ against this pathetic pakistan batting team in England is a mystery i'm trying to get my head around:confused:

I don't blame him entire for the Ashes, the batting line-up was equally culpable. But I agree about the Pakistan series. It defies belief that he couldn't take wickets and he bowled so straight up and down in those conditions. I think Troy Cooley has mucked around with him though as he used to be able to swing the ball just fine when he came into international cricket.

Beeswax;405681 said:
I don't blame him entire for the Ashes, the batting line-up was equally culpable. But I agree about the Pakistan series. It defies belief that he couldn't take wickets and he bowled so straight up and down in those conditions. I think Troy Cooley has mucked around with him though as he used to be able to swing the ball just fine when he came into international cricket.

remember Johnson's breakthough test?

that one in Perth, that we lost to South Africa

where he bowled poorly but picked up about 7 wickets in the first innings but rarely threatened in the 2nd. and they were calling him once in generation then.

FFS :(

lethalhughes;405640 said:
Anyone knows what Harris bowling stats in his last 2 domestic seasons?Looking at his career stats in domestic cricket(not too flashy)i would think he has really improve of late.

Harris is sort of renowned as the most economical bowler in Australia.

When you say last two seasons, well you are really only looking at 1 season. He missed out last season due to injury, which is why his selection was a bit strange considering he'd had only a couple of matches to warm up (it worked but, so the selectors got away with it).

Annoyingly cricinfo's stats for the domestic seasons aren't working at the moment so I can't tell you the actual statistics (don't know any other place to get them), but they weren't bad.

He used to be more of an all rounder, which is why he hasn't really been in contention for much until a couple of years ago. He averaged around 30-35 with both bat and ball and was handy, but not international quality. That also explains his bad career records, because he hasn't been a top quality bowler for the whole of it.

When he came to Queensland someone saw something in him and he's been a swing bowler more and more ever since. He can still bat, as he's shown, but it's not his priority.

His last full season in one dayers was pretty good, very economical, not the best strike rate but the average was low nonetheless. He's always had a knack of taking wickets just when the opposition don't like it.

I've never really seen him as much of a Test candidate, though. He seems to be better at limiting economy but not wicket taking or those long spells, the closest example I can think of in that way is Nathan Bracken.

I'm not that big a fan of him for Tests.

Boris;405736 said:
Harris is sort of renowned as the most economical bowler in Australia.

When you say last two seasons, well you are really only looking at 1 season. He missed out last season due to injury, which is why his selection was a bit strange considering he'd had only a couple of matches to warm up (it worked but, so the selectors got away with it).

Annoyingly cricinfo's stats for the domestic seasons aren't working at the moment so I can't tell you the actual statistics (don't know any other place to get them), but they weren't bad.

He used to be more of an all rounder, which is why he hasn't really been in contention for much until a couple of years ago. He averaged around 30-35 with both bat and ball and was handy, but not international quality. That also explains his bad career records, because he hasn't been a top quality bowler for the whole of it.

When he came to Queensland someone saw something in him and he's been a swing bowler more and more ever since. He can still bat, as he's shown, but it's not his priority.

His last full season in one dayers was pretty good, very economical, not the best strike rate but the average was low nonetheless. He's always had a knack of taking wickets just when the opposition don't like it.

I've never really seen him as much of a Test candidate, though. He seems to be better at limiting economy but not wicket taking or those long spells, the closest example I can think of in that way is Nathan Bracken.

I'm not that big a fan of him for Tests.

he was probably our best player when he left the Redbacks...but moving to Queensland and playing in more bowler friendly conditions more regularly made the selectors take notice.

Yes thanks guys.Actually the first time i really hard a look at harris which was his first odi i saw something in him, the same with Brett Geeves as well.Those 2 seem to hit the bat alot harder than you would think.Harris seems to be test standard to me, definitely has the attributes( does enough with the ball , pacey and has control) to succeed.Siddle is an interesting one in that he started really well and really impress me but when the ashes hit its like he drop down .He lacked the patients needed on that tour and he was trying to blast the batters out with every ball.The question is not whether australia have really good bowlers in the team and others coming through( cause most i've seen i've been really impress by) but the question is who will stand up and lead the attack, Bollinger?, Hilfy? Harris? etc.It makes a great difference when there is one bowler that the captain sees as a go 2 guy.He makes the other bowlers around him better.2 bowlers i would give a fair go now ( a good string of games) are Bollinger and Hilfy.The third seamer spot would be up for grabs thats for sure.But Johnson still has a ''tight enough grip'' on it for now.

According to articles released by cricinfo from CA the Ashes pace attack is likely to be Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus.

Not sure how reliable or true it is, but I don't see how they could drop Bollinger for Siddle. I have never rated him (and have laboured the point intensively in the past), but now for him to even be considered above Mackay for me is stupid.

There is a problem being, though, that the only place they get to show off their skills are on the highways they call pitches in India. I expect some very bad bowling figures from all Tests, and it's probably going to have to be a much more subjective decision on how they are going that sorts them out.

Back