Ask the Umpire!

Re: Ask the Umpire!

Scard;287477 said:
Try this one. Two legitimate deliveries have been bowled to open an innings, the only balls bowled. Score is 0 for 8, both batsmen on 4 not out. How is this possible?

Batsman "A" hits the first ball deep into the outfield and both batters run five but one of the completed runs is called "one short". Since the batters ran five, Batsman "B" is on strike and proceeds to score four runs off the next delivery hence the score being 0/8 and both batters on 4 not out.

:cool:

Not sure at all, could seem pretty stupid but say the first ball is played through the covers and the batsman runs 2 runs before there's an overthrow so they run three more, which brings the other batsman on strike, but say there was one short run in one of those runs actually making it 0-4 and not 0-5, next ball four hit, boundary, and there you have it. 2 legitimate deliveries, score 0-8 and both batsmen on 4.

i umpire at a very high level in this grand old country: if you guys have anything to ask a Panel Umpire - i'm one of those of silly men who need a flexible job so i can do it :p

ask away if anyone has got any questions.

What will happen if the last batsman of the batting team won't be able to come due to any sudden accident or something tlike it?

Will the upmire declare the team as all-out or they'll wait for they'll call any other batsman.(12th man:p).

the innings is considered declared closed 9 wickets down.

except on the last ball of the match (or innings in one-day game) when the 9th wicket falls - because there are still wickets to be taken it's not a win to the bowling team.

Hi
I Was searching for an answer to a couple of umpiring situations I have had recently
I was Umpiring a match and we had to be strict with wides down the legside, a ball went close to the batsman down the legside, he made an attempt to play it and I did not think that any contact was made by either Bat/Body/pads ect.The wicky & fielder started to make a loud appeal for a catch but the wicky fumbled it and dropped the ball. As I said, I did not think he had hit it at all and so called it a wide Wicky and Fielder both claimed that it was not a wide as he hit it,I was going to ignore this but the Batsman then admitted that he had got a touch I was not sure what to do so I decided to change my decision to a Dot ball.However, later I wondered if I did make the right call. as if the wicky had held the ball would the batsman have been as forthcoming that he had touched? it so my question is should I have changed my decision or kept to my original view?

The second Question is why am I not allowed CALL a NO BALL for height at square leg as well as signal it? the reason being that I signaled a NO BALL ,a full toss over waist height from a fast bowler which the striker hit hard and was well caught at mid-wicket the batsman began walking as the umpire at bowlers end saw my signal and called the NO BALL but the catcher who was looking towards me and who had seen my signal wizzed the ball in and hit the stumps before I could call a dead ball "batsman leaving his crease thinking he had been dismissed" which I always try to do as I hate this way of dismissal but all this happened so fast and the fielding side wanted the wicket to stand.
If I had been able to CALL the NO BALL then the batsmen would probably not have been dismissed
Any views

1 - stick to your decisions. None of us perfect we all make mistakes. You are interpreting thing as you see them. The batsman should have kept quiet, was he trying to stir things up?

2 - I always thought the square leg umpire could call 'No Ball'. If not then it's tough luck on the batsman and poor sportsmanship on the fielding side. Maybe a chat about the spirit of the game is the order of the day?

in the first situation - just stick to your original decision, if you think he didn't hit it - then he probably didn't. But we all make mistakes. The players will respect you more if you stick to your decisions and are not tempted into changing them when someone complains about them as such.

in the 2nd situation - the square leg umpire cannot call the no-balls for a Waist high full toss. What would happen if the ball was in that position (as in, that close to being a no-ball) then the square leg umpire would be making a signal to bowlers end umpire suggesting that it was over the waist on the full (most levels of cricket involve the square leg umpire placing his hand where the ball was going - ie. he may have his hand placed on his belly-button region suggesting that it was roughly in that position). Then it is all up to the bowlers end umpire and the square leg umpire can do nothing.
In terms of your "run out" scenario - then just call dead ball, and not out, as soon as you call dead ball then it stops all play, and essentially speaking nothing can happen with the play that just occurred.

In terms of your "run out" scenario - then just call dead ball, and not out, as soon as you call dead ball then it stops all play, and essentially speaking nothing can happen with the play that just occurred.[/QUOTE]

As I wrote, I would usually call dead ball but the incident happened very quickly before I had chance to call a Dead Ball the catching fielder was very quick and accurate with his throw which was a direct hit. then only the fielding side captain can ask to reverse the dismissal but he did not want to.

southern spike;295641 said:
In terms of your "run out" scenario - then just call dead ball, and not out, as soon as you call dead ball then it stops all play, and essentially speaking nothing can happen with the play that just occurred.

As I wrote, I would usually call dead ball but the incident happened very quickly before I had chance to call a Dead Ball the catching fielder was very quick and accurate with his throw which was a direct hit. then only the fielding side captain can ask to reverse the dismissal but he did not want to.
If necessary ask your cricket umpiring coach.

doesn't matter how quickly you call dead ball - it'll still be a dead ball once you've called it. You or your umpiring partner still have to answer the appeal/s. The fielders will appeal - it is up to you to call it the way you have seen it. If the result of the appeal is a dead ball, call dead ball.

ubolt;295668 said:
doesn't matter how quickly you call dead ball - it'll still be a dead ball once you've called it. You or your umpiring partner still have to answer the appeal/s. The fielders will appeal - it is up to you to call it the way you have seen it. If the result of the appeal is a dead ball, call dead ball.
Thanks for the reply,I contacted my local umpire association who confirmed that If you fail to call a dead ball before the batsman is out then you cannot turn down the run out appeal this is why I asked the Question as to why I cannot call the NO BALL from square leg as well as signal which would be fair to the batsman and no disadvantage to the fielding side

Hi
I Was searching for an answer to a couple of umpiring situations I have had recently
I was Umpiring a match and we had to be strict with wides down the legside, a ball went close to the batsman down the legside, he made an attempt to play it and I did not think that any contact was made by either Bat/Body/pads ect.The wicky & fielder started to make a loud appeal for a catch but the wicky fumbled it and dropped the ball. As I said, I did not think he had hit it at all and so called it a wide Wicky and Fielder both claimed that it was not a wide as he hit it,I was going to ignore this but the Batsman then admitted that he had got a touch I was not sure what to do so I decided to change my decision to a Dot ball.However, later I wondered if I did make the right call. as if the wicky had held the ball would the batsman have been as forthcoming that he had touched? it so my question is should I have changed my decision or kept to my original view?

The second Question is why am I not allowed CALL a NO BALL for height at square leg as well as signal it? the reason being that I signaled a NO BALL ,a full toss over waist height from a fast bowler which the striker hit hard and was well caught at mid-wicket the batsman began walking as the umpire at bowlers end saw my signal and called the NO BALL but the catcher who was looking towards me and who had seen my signal wizzed the ball in and hit the stumps before I could call a dead ball "batsman leaving his crease thinking he had been dismissed" which I always try to do as I hate this way of dismissal but all this happened so fast and the fielding side wanted the wicket to stand.
If I had been able to CALL the NO BALL then the batsmen would probably not have been dismissed
Any views
Am I not right in thinking, if the batsman was walking because he thought he was out caught he was not attempting a run therefore should not be given out?

Scenario!!
Team batting require 18 runs to win, 7 wickets down. One of the batters is 109 not out, if he stays in chances are they win the game. He is at the non strikers end when the ball is bowled, the number 9 swings at the ball and the ball goes through to the keeper. The try to take a bye but the batter on 109 is short of his ground. The appeal goes up, square leg umpire raises his finger. The number 9 batter goes to walk off saying he nicked it through to the keeper thus saving his partner from being given out.
You were not going to give him out caught behind as you obviously didn't think he hit it.
Do you take his word for it and let him walk off or is his partner on 109 out?????

Depends, generally if the umpire at square leg gives him out then the guy on 109 would have to go. The two umpires would have to confer properly before making any sort of decision.

Back