Aussie Team Arrogant

Aussie Team Arrogant

Robert Craddick we always thought that you would be that type of journo.
Arrogant Australians feeling the pressure

By Robert Craddock
December 22, 2008 THE message booming out to Australia after losing the unlosable Test match is that some of their key players are over-rated, lacking form or too arrogant for their own good.
And some, like captain Ricky Ponting, need to have a look at themselves and the damage negative body language can do when the team has been driven on to the backfoot.
South Africa were simply magnificent. On previous tours we have mocked and criticised them for being chokers and underachievers ... and they come out and make fools of the ghouls by producing a victory to rate with any ever achieved on Australian soil.
Outstanding.
Ponting cannot be expected to be Mr Perfect but his body language is substandard when the side needs him most.
Becoming a human tea pot when young bowlers such as Peter Siddle or Jason Krejza are under pressure just creates more pressure in a side where insecurity is already spreading like a juicy rumour.
How Andrew Symonds must regret swallowing sucker punches from spinner and sneaky sledger Paul Harris in both innings.
When you have Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne in your attack you can take as many gambles as you like and there will always be someone to wipe up your mess.
Not so when you have three of your four bowlers out of form.
Senior players are expected to show leadership, a fact Michael Clarke will also acknowledge after throwing his wicket away in both innings.
On a track which South Africa lost one wicket on yesterday, Australia were 7-162 in their second innings two days earlier.
Gentlemen please explain.
Brett Lee used to regard the WACA as his personal playground so he will be shattered at returning the poor match figures of 1-132.
Despite upending a glorified club side called New Zealand a few weeks ago he has become a bowler in decline because his pace is down and he does not have many other weapons. Lee without pace is Sampson without his hair. Australia had pencilled him in as their anchorman for at least another 14 months.
If, as seems likely, he fades quicker than expected they will face a mini-crisis.
It seems incredible that a bowler such as Mitchell Johnson could produce the best innings performance by a left-armed bowler in history and his side could lose.
He took 11-159 for the match.
With Stuart Clark out Australia do not have one defensive bowler and it was a pointed show of no- confidence in Krejza that he did not get a bowl until five minutes before lunch.
Matthew Hayden sadly has lost his mojo.
A Test victory would have given him breathing space but the question of his future is now enormous and must be answered in the next fortnight.
Melbourne has been his glory ground. He needs the theme to continue.
The entire team is feeling the pressure heavily. So badly in fact that after the fourth day's play not one player was prepared to attend the post-day press conference, a major embarrassment to Cricket Australia who just before the Test had assembled the media for a dinner designed to maintain smooth relations.
Australia aren't arrogant, it's just the fans that are.

Re: Aussie Team Arrogant

Again you bring up about the fans being arrogant.

What he said was right to an extent but he kind of went over the top with it.

It's the senior players not stepping up to a brilliant South Africa which cost us in the end.

They are arrogant.

Always have been.

They got an almighty wake up yesterday.

Good for cricket.

What he said about Ponting is spot on. He doesn't seem to handle the pressure of expectation very well at all, and goes missing when Australia are under the pump in the field. A penny for every time a South African player smashed a four and the camera pans to Ponting, standing at slip with his arms folded and a 'why me' expression on his face.

a for effort;297386 said:
What he said about Ponting is spot on. He doesn't seem to handle the pressure of expectation very well at all, and goes missing when Australia are under the pump in the field. A penny for every time a South African player smashed a four and the camera pans to Ponting, standing at slip with his arms folded and a 'why me' expression on his face.
I think that the media and everyone else always look at the skipper whenever the aussie team loses games of cricket.
Punter isn't the guy who was bowling at a low standard.
It is the fact that we don't have the depth of bowlers like we did have when the Aussies were winning.
Ponting has to play the role of teacher, captain, and educator just to get his point across.
It's not that fair on Ricky Ponting or any of the Australian players to have to put up with people in the media as well as fans, constantly criticizing the guys.

I think that it is the fault of the fans who expect the Aussies to win every single game that they play.

You always emphasise the point of the fans expecting the Aussies to win everything.

I can tell you that before the Test I expected South Africa to win.

But when we were leading by 414, thats when everyone expects Aus. to win.

The fact of the matter is our bowling attack has dropped from being one of the best in the world to probably third to fifth.

How many more runs would we have needed to secure that test?

With the bowlers we had and the way they played 600 runs would have given us a draw.

We were very ordinary.

I hope I am wrong but I think our days as the top ranked test team are well over, ATM I would rank SA & India above us, no idea how Pakistan is travelling but we would rank third or fourth in the world.

McGrath & Warne have left a huge hole in our side and Brett Lee's drop in form has cost us.

a for effort;297469 said:
Bowlers out of form?

Did someone say Shaun Tait?

You mean the notoriously injured slinger who doesn't want to bowl anymore than 10 overs in a day for fear of breaking down..... AGAIN?

thommy_rissole;297483 said:
You mean the notoriously injured slinger who doesn't want to bowl anymore than 10 overs in a day for fear of breaking down..... AGAIN?

Yes, that's the one. Get him in

thommy_rissole;297483 said:
yeah that's the one. He also gets no balled a fair bit because of his wayward action.:rolleyes:

a for effort;297484 said:
Yes, that's the one. Get him in

Hilfenhaus in the squad and must play, Lee needs wickets or a straight swap for Dougy Bollinger awaits, those that say we don't need 2 left handers are kidding themselves, Johnson (who is left handed S2C :eek:) got 11/14 wickets.

thommy_rissole;297493 said:
Hilfenhaus in the squad and must play, Lee needs wickets or a straight swap for Dougy Bollinger awaits, those that say we don't need 2 left handers are kidding themselves, Johnson (who is left handed S2C :eek:) got 11/14 wickets.
Oh duh, Don't speak to me. I am not dumb.:rolleyes:

I would prefer to have 2 in the side. We have got plenty of right handers in the team.

Back